Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,989 times

Advertisements

I realize the risk in starting another "Best Schools" discussion, but here goes anyway.

We're moving to Maryland in a year. One of us will work in Columbia, the other at Fort Meade. Looking for a home within 30 minutes of each. I read the data on Howard County schools... by the numbers, all are good and some are great. We will want a school pair that will take our daughter from 6th to 12th grade.

What I'd like to learn from those of you who live here is some of the subjective information about your schools. I'm especially interested in schools that truly encourage parent involvement, a sense of community among families, an attitude of working your best in anything you do. I value small classes, and an emphasis on writing and public speaking across the curriculum. And a school that has room to expand as the community grows.

Any comments welcome.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
I've known a lot of teachers, most Howard County (a few others). Columbia tends to have betters schools - Centennial usually the best.

As to your the specifics you're looking for... well, based on things my teacher friends have all said: those are ideals and you're not likely to find all of them, particularly in an urban area like Ft Meade/Columbia. I constantly heard complaints about how much the teachers wish the parents get involved, but don't -or do but for the wrong reasons ('oh, MY child would never behave like that!' maybe not at home, but certainly does in school. They know the teachers have no authority)

I can't think of any schools that have room to grow! the towns have so many people that everywhere is packed and no one has money to build new schools.

Sorry, but if you want a good school, Centennial system in Columbia gets very high marks. Might have good parent involvement, but.. as to the rest, good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,714 times
Default Catonsville is a great location!

Check out the Catonsville Area. The taxes are lower and the schools are good. Check out Catonsville.org for the Chamber of Commerce website for info about the property. I have had several clients that have been transferred in to Fort Meade that love the area, proximity to work and the locale. It's only about 20 minutes from both Fort Meade and Columbia. Good luck with your move! Enjoy the process!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland