Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I completely agree with you. I felt it living in MD and now feeling it here in NC, where can I go to escape!!!
In Maryland I think the Eastern Shore is a wonderful place. My three favorite towns/cities in the state are Cambridge, Salisbury and Easton. Many people from the Western Shore move there but the difference is that those who move there do so because they like the quality of life there and the lifestyle and the slower pace so they of course adapt to it well. Carroll County is different, the newcomers there are more like those who would live in Towson but are priced out.

With NC and even Maryland or Baltimore its different with the transplants because the mentality is different and some of them don't come because they like the Baltimore culture for example. A lot come because they cannot find a job in New York, or because they moved here with their spouse, their entire company moved down here or was forced to transfer, etc. A lot of companies relocate South for more business friendly laws. Not Maryland though, O'Malley and his liberal friends in Annapolis do not make this a good profitable place to do business. They even suggest BGE should not be allowed to cut utility service to people who do not pay because that would be too cruel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:54 PM

168 posts, read 672,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In Maryland its based more on the merit system so people may have better opportunities here.
Not on the eastern shore its not. Nepotism and the good ol boy network is common and a well known trait of the shore. Ive seen it first hand and as great as some think this place is its nothing like that once you live here. That "quality of life" statement is a HUUUGE farce. If you hate your previous hometown you are much more likely to like anywhere, even here.

How can you take one persons word(your friend)and make that one experience apply for the entire state of New York and then say that all of MD is based on the merit system?? I'm not trying to single any persons statements out but blanket statements like that are very ignorant and are likely very false.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 PM

151 posts, read 693,356 times
BINGO!!!! im so glad someone said it! Ive lived in NYC just about all my life but Tom is right. The majority not all of the jobs are who you know not what you know. Ive applied for several jobs in MD and guess what ive been called for all but 2 and mind you I still have my NYC address on my resume. In nyc 3 out of 4 of my jobs were through connections eventhough I was qualified and had applied before my connections put in a word. This may not be all across the board but many of those in my circle agree with connections matter here!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
OK ill bite what part of Northeast PA are we talking about?
Also I was comparing to home prices in NYC
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Granted there's not as many job opportunities here, but if you can manage to get a decent job here, you can live like a king compared to NYC, NJ, Philly, Maryland, etc.

The low cost of livng compared to NYC is probably why NEPA gets a lot of NYC transplants, NYC/NJ is so expensive that many people move here and commute 2 hours to their jobs in NY.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:15 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2MD View Post
Are you describing NY and CA or MD?
As it says in my profile, NY. Guess I should have mentioned that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland