Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:05 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,534 times

Advertisements

I been on the DE thread and to be honest, there are hardly any good comments bout this state, or the schools, I could not believe the amount of people who told me to forgot DE...we are rethinking the problem by perhaps living in MD, as the money would be good in DE but from what I hear, I am frankly afraid to live there now....so my ? is, are there any safe decent areas that have affordable homes, under 225 with good schools and healthcare on the border between the two states that would not be too far Dover, DE? I would really appreciate any help you can give, I was told that even the health care is bad, and I have alot of health care problems, is MD on the border that is any better? I have young children so crime and gangs is a scary thought to me and education is very important, we could prolly do a private school but would only have 200-250 left for housing, is this enough to be safe, to have a good school in place? We are not party goers, and very family oriented, a nice housing plan, with nice neighbors would be ok with us as long as it was safe and in a good school district, thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,120 times
Sure there are good affordable homes... Harford and other counties I've never heard of or are to far to travel to have affordable homes. Maryand's healthcare system sucks to. Harford is just above Baltimore county. I would try another state honestly, Maryland's economy is catching up with the other Northern states, where its going to be so expensive to live here we'll all need 2 jobs to survive.

And no I am not being negative, I've been here all my life in DC area to where I am now and have seen so much change in the state.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
You can get a nice house for $250k in Elkton, MD (Cecil County). The same house in Harford County would be $100k more (I say this looking at two houses built by the same builder in the same floorplace). I don't know too much abiout Cecil, as I have been looking in Harford. I have some coworkers with kids who live in Cecil county, and they love it and feel very safe there. But thats the side of Cecil near Harford, not near Dover.

WRT RoadTripGurl, a lot of it is relitive. I think Harford county is great compared to the true DC suburb I moved from (in Fairfax county). Not my favorite area ever, but less crowded and less crime than where I came from.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the responses...I will check out Elkton, MD, sounds affordable to us! As long as we have a good school, nice home and low taxes, I am set, as we travel alot anyhow and like our downtime at home while working, it may work afterall, we love the idea being so close to DC to friends and things to do, we do things in blocks of time, as we go to bed really early and get up early, we cook healthy food at home and work out alot, so maybe the healthcare might not be too bad being mediocre as it is for now, all I know from where we sit now, anything has be better than this!

Old 03-28-2007, 01:28 PM

58 posts, read 264,976 times
Default Dont give up on DE

hi,
Im a pgh native too! I relocated a few times since though. If the main job is in Dover, I would consider sussex county delaware (Selbyville). It is a fast growing area with affordable construction. I would avoid Elkton MD. I will tell you why. In Elkton, as is with the rest of Cecil County MD, there are superfund sites. These sites are known for extreme pollution either from having buried contaminant containers or from streams and rivers having had runoff from major industries there. Look it up on the internet. google "superfund sites maryland". You will see Cecil has 4, 2 are located in Elkton. You will see Harford has 3, located anywhere near Aberdeen and Aberdeen Proving Ground, due to mustard gas pollution from the Army at the proving ground. Avoid Harford, Avoid Elkton, consider Selbyville...I know I would. If you can AT ALL AVOID the mainland and relocate instead to the Eastern Shore of MD, I would do that. There are no superfund sites there. NONE! As for me, I am looking to return to my home in PITTSVILLE MD as soon as my husband gets a job there again. It is only 20 minutes to OCEAN CITY MD. My daughter and son-in-law just bought a house there in Pittsville also. He works in Delaware, could have bought anywhere, but chose PITTSVILLE because of clean air, no fast paced rat race, minimal traffic, and friendly townspeople, and affordability, and NO SUPERFUNDS!!!

Colleen

Old 03-28-2007, 02:35 PM

I will investigate sussex county now in Selbyville! OH goodness this sounds like a nightmare! Thanks so much for telling me! I will print this out and show it to my husband too! What do you think of Smyrna DE? I heard alot of good things bout it, but not from this site, almost everyone on the DE forum hates their state and tells me to not move there, but there could be factors that attain to them and their certain circumstances too, everyone has different views and needs in life maybe? Anyhow, thanks for the info! Would it be ok to email you? Thanks.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
Before you go too crazy over superfund sites, Delaware has 14. Sussex county has one and one that was recently deleted (but existed at one point).

Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 AM

14? I will investigate this now, I will google superfund and delaware and see what I get here...if its bad, I will be back, thanks for the info too!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:45 AM

I am not so sure bout this now, I might just stay down here in Va Beach maybe, at least till I can find more info on DE, doesn't sound very good at all here, I never knew bout those sites till a few days ago.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:11 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,626 times
You should look into the greensboro, mD area.It is just starting to grow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland