U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 AM

10 posts, read 43,082 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!! New member here, first I want to thank everyone in advance for your advice/opinions and for reading my post. I am considering a job offer in Baltimore (University of Maryland Medical Center) and currently residing in Philadelphia. I really don't know that much about Maryland/Baltimore besides what I have read here, and my own research. If i accept the offer I would be interested in buying a house in MD. I will rent initially to get a good feel for the area, and then buy. Here is my problem, I am really attracted to older construction, for example the stone homes, full brick etc.. But I really don't see a lot of that in MD. I have seen the Homeland, Guilford, Roland Park area, the homes are great, but taxes are high. Are there other areas like that in MD, what I have seen are a lot of areas w/ new construction (i.e. Toll Brother's type) and McMansions. Nothing wrong w/ these, just not what I like. I don't mind driving a bit, my girlfriend's family is closer to the DC/VA side anyway.
So just to recap, what I am looking for is:
1) Older construction (stone homes, full brick colonial, tudor etc)
2) Safe area
3) Good school district (Future family)
4) Reasonable taxes (compared to Baltimore city, i.e. Roland Park, Homeland, Guilford)
5) Diversity
6) Close to a metro area

Am I asking for too much, can I get all of these in one area? And on a side note, I drove around the Homeland/Roland park area why are the roads not paved or not maintained well, considering your paying high property tax?
Sorry for the lengthy post, but appreciate any advice/help before considering moving.

Last edited by Clymer; 03-23-2009 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Bold
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 AM

260 posts, read 795,361 times
Try the Towson area of Maryland. In particular, you should look at the Stoneleigh and Rogers Forge neighborhoods. There may also be a few areas in Catonsville off of Frederick Road that you may want to look at.

The reason roads are so bad in much of Baltimore City is because the city is poor and has not had the money to properly keep up its roads. This is a problem all over the city. However, the city has been doing a lot of road repaving lately.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,880 times
Try the Ten Hills area when you are looking to buy. It's on the southwest corner of Baltimore City--taxes lower than Roland Park and Homeland but homes with the same feel. Mature trees, stately old homes (80-100 years), large lots, diverse neighborhood with a real neighborhood camraderie and pride. Very suburban feel but in the City. Ten Hills provides an easy commute to downtown (about 6 miles through the City or around I-695), easy access to airport and I-95 to get to VA/DC area. People who live in Ten Hills easily commute to DC area jobs as well as Baltimore jobs. Not sure about rental options though, most homes are for sale when they go on the market.Towson would be a bit of a run around the Beltway in rush hour traffic to get to a downtown job and when traveling to DC area. Homes are rancher styles--1950's and 60's.If you are renting though, Catonsville is not a bad option --right over the City line in Baltimore County. Very suburban and older homes as well--same benefits as Ten Hills but without City taxes and auto insurance rates. Probably some rental apartments could be found relatively easy.If you want a more City option, you would find stately old rentals (row house style) in Bolton Hill--apartments and probably some homes. Canton is trendy and urban, as is Federal Hill. These latter two attract young urbanites. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:06 AM

10 posts, read 43,082 times
Thanks guys for the responses so far I will look into the areas that were mentioned, Ten Hills looks promising, any negatives about the area I should know about? How about diversity, I am a early 30's Indian who likes have the city nearby, but prefer having the safety, quietness of suburban like environment. Would Ten Hills, Catonsville, Towson, be a good fit for me? Also baltimore county compared to city what are some advantages/disadvantages of both? Any more areas, that fulfills my original criteria? Thanks so much, you guys have been very helpful!!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:31 PM

260 posts, read 795,361 times
Ten Hills is a beautiful area with lots of diversity. However, it's in the city so you'll be stuck with higher taxes and the city schools tend to be awful. There are a number of nice private schools in the city and surrounding areas if you can afford them.

Towson and Catonsville are in the County. However, they are also right over the city line. The school systems in both those are areas are pretty good. I also believe there may be a large Korean and Indian community in the Catonsville area.

One area you may also want to look at is the Sudbrook Park Neighborhood of Pikesville. The elementary school its districted to is awful but many people are able to send their kids to other schools in Baltimore County. The middle and high schools in the area are pretty good.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,413 times
Hi there,
I'm also living in Philadelphia but planning about moving to and buying a house in Baltimore. All the things that Clymer listed are qualities my boyfriend and I are looking for in a neighborhood. My boyfriend currently rents a row home in Rodger's Forge and has driven me around some of the neighborhoods that we're considering. These include Roland Park (my favorite), Cedarcroft, Homeland, Mount Washington, Anneslie, and Stoneleigh. He never mentioned Ten Hills but I'm certainly going to check it out.

I know that living in a neighborhood is the best way to get a sense of it, but I'm not going to be able to do that before buying. With that in mind, I have a few questions:

1) Are there any differences in safety among the neighborhoods that I mentioned? I'm mostly concerned with feeling safe walking around at night, getting home late, etc.

2) Which neighborhoods are most cohesive (e.g., neighborhood activities, meeting places, etc.)?

3) I know that Baltimore is a liberal city but I read online somewhere that Homeland tends to be more conservative. Does it have that reputation? And what about the other neighborhoods?

4) Are there any other positives or negatives that a 30-something, future mom should be aware of when selecting any of these or other neighborhoods in Baltimore?

Thanks so much! This forum is fantastic and I'm so glad I found it.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:25 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,394,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demelza9 View Post
Hi there,
I'm also living in Philadelphia but planning about moving to and buying a house in Baltimore. All the things that Clymer listed are qualities my boyfriend and I are looking for in a neighborhood. My boyfriend currently rents a row home in Rodger's Forge and has driven me around some of the neighborhoods that we're considering. These include Roland Park (my favorite), Cedarcroft, Homeland, Mount Washington, Anneslie, and Stoneleigh. He never mentioned Ten Hills but I'm certainly going to check it out.

I know that living in a neighborhood is the best way to get a sense of it, but I'm not going to be able to do that before buying. With that in mind, I have a few questions:

1) Are there any differences in safety among the neighborhoods that I mentioned? I'm mostly concerned with feeling safe walking around at night, getting home late, etc.

2) Which neighborhoods are most cohesive (e.g., neighborhood activities, meeting places, etc.)?

3) I know that Baltimore is a liberal city but I read online somewhere that Homeland tends to be more conservative. Does it have that reputation? And what about the other neighborhoods?

4) Are there any other positives or negatives that a 30-something, future mom should be aware of when selecting any of these or other neighborhoods in Baltimore?

Thanks so much! This forum is fantastic and I'm so glad I found it.
You should post your inquiry on the Baltimore sub-forum. I'll bet you'll get your questions answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>