Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 22,005 times

Advertisements

Decisions decisions...is the grass really greener? I live in Decatur Illinois. It lacks culture, diversity, and authentic people. I have done my time here and feel that there are bigger and better opportunities elsewhere. I am a single parent of 2 and want to send them to good schools, which Decatur is also lacking. I have high expectations for the Maryland area but fearful I could be wrong. I am looking for a city with low crime, great schools, affordable housing, and employment(arent we all?) I would like to have city life not far from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 05:00 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
What is the bst area of Washington Co to live?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:46 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Mike, hello from a railfan and member of the B&ORR Historical Society. I've been to Cumberland many times and have ridden the WM Scenic RR and interviewed some of the old B&O engineers that still live there.

Hagerstown is now an overflow for the DC area and prices on homes have been going wacky in the past few years. Yes, Balto Gas & Elec, as part of some Florida-based utility outfit, is trying to raise rates 72% but it is in the state legislature now as that is ridiculous. Not sure if BG&E serves that area.

Parts of old downtown Hagerstown are very old and I suspect such housing is substandard as far as electric, plumbing, etc. The outlying areas may be worth a look, but HAGRAD's cautions need to be kept in mind....I only see the area from driving through it.

I lived in that region for many years, only leaving a year ago for Colorado. I was in Hagerstown just last week on a family visit to the region and the traffic is indeed very heavy on the I-system.

The closer you get to Frederick, i.e., the closer to DC, the worse the prices and traffic.

I'd recommend moving up the line ten miles into Greencastle, PA, a neat little town with the old N&W still running through it. Not sure how near you are to retirement, but there is no state income tax in PA on most retirements, a little-known but very important fact.

As we were planning for retirement, we looked at houses around Greencastle and there was much to pick from. If you are now in Cumberland, you can be there in an hour. Make it a point to eat dinner at Mrs. Gibbles for really good food; just google up her website to check days/hours and menu. My favorite is fried chicken livers, one of her specialties. She's part of the potato chip family of the same name, and also runs a chocolate shop next door. Cool place.

There are tons of small towns up in PA that have great quality of life and are within the 30 minute/mile range of Hagerstown. MD is a bit of a high tax state and parts of PA can be, you gotta check carefully with the realtor. I'm not a realtor, nor associated in any way with the industry, but realtors cost you nothing and can do a great job finding exactly what you need, on price and on schools and sports for the youngsters. You also can get a feel for the area by using the realtor site to drill down on the map of an area to see what's for sale and at what prices. Armchair shopping at it's best. The real estate market has softened a lot in past 8-10 months, a lot of inventory is for sale and moving slowly, so you should be able to drive a harder bargain these days than a year ago, when the market was red hot.

Best of luck to you.
s/Mike from back east
God it's a small world.
Ms Gibbles on Rt11.
You know it is now under new ownership. My folks go there sometime. They are in Fartinsburg, WV. Been trying to get them out of that pit for 10 years now.

Greencastle is a nice litte town. Ever been to the Antrium House restaurant?

Hagersbush is growing like crazy, Unfortunately for Maryland it has to pay the price for Baltimore City, Montgomery and PG County for electing all these left wing looneys who tax the place to death. I always get a kick when I see the Maryland road signs that still say "The Free State"

I love old Cumberland and Frostburg. Now that is old Maryland. There is a good eating place in Grantsville ran by the Minnonites, forgot the name off old 40.

Regards Mike

Old 11-16-2006, 05:50 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
What is the bst area of Washington Co to live?
Hi Katie,

In Washington County, I like Clear Spring off Exit 18 on 70 and of course Hancock.
If in Hancock try the Park N Dine.
As you can tell I like old style places to go.

One thing about Clear Spring is you have 70 / 40 / and many back roads to Hagerstown. Still has a country feel too.
Also like Mike said. Look to Greencastle also. Right over the line in Pa.
Exit 1 State Line up to Exit 8 by the Chambersburg Mall.

So what part of Martinsburg are you stuck in? The city limits or county?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:55 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Default Georgia....

....hello and thanks for the info. No, didn't know that Mrs. Gibbles was under new management. Hopefully I can get up there during the Thanksgiving visit back east.

Never went to the Antrim House, but I believe my in-laws have.

There's a reason Montgomery County, MD and Fairfax County in VA are culprits in high housing prices that help to cause Hagerstown (and Martinsburg) becoming another bedroom community of DC, read the story at:
//www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...-virginia.html

Yes, Cumberland, Frostburg, and Oakland are the old MD that I recall.

s/Mike

Old 05-08-2007, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,564 times
if anyone is moving out of hagerstown and need movers in hagerstown, I can suggest a web site of a moving company that provides local and interstate moving services out of DC, MD, Northeren VA and Eastern PA, the name of the company is DC Movers

<a href="http://www.bestdcmovers.com/hagerstown-maryland.htm">Movers in Hagerstown</a>

Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,418 times
If you are going into Washington County, i.e. Hagerstown, Boonsboro, etc, take a look at the schools first. Many of the buildings are pretty old.
Maybe consider Middletown, which is in Frederick County and probably 30 minutes away. The housing will be a little more expensive than in Hagerstown but you should consider it. Again, as some one else said, the closer you get to Baltimore, the more you should expect to pay.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 AM

60 posts, read 277,843 times
You may want to visit the following sites. Use Mapquest to judge the distance for your specific commute needs/limits.
Check the county sites (google) and you can find the websites to specific small towns and their schools and chambers of commerce. I love this area. It is vacation every time I commute home. I am in a quaint Md. town. But I love visiting the Pa towns on weekends.

Greencastle, Pa, Chambersburg Pa>Franklin County,Pa
www.greencastlepachamber.org
www.chambersburg.org
www.co.franklin.pa.us

Boonsboro, Md/Smithsburg,Md/Hagerstown,Md>Washington County,Md
www.washco-md.net
www.hagerstownmd.org

Shepherstown, West Virginia>Jefferson County WVA
www.shepherdstownvisitorscenter.com
www.jeffersoncountywv.org

WE LOVE WASHINGTON COUNTY MARYLAND, but would like to be in Pa or Allegany County Md.
Wash County was a good compromise. It is a great escape and commutable. There are public and private school options if you research. School improvements are ongoing in these outer counties. So choices are increasing as parents help counties see what is needed. Currently, local counties are increasing magnet & IB options. Shortly there will be increased rigorous academics, techinacal, & arts focuses. Hagerstown & Clear Spring have had growing pains but if you look & scope it out, as w/ any town, you will find areas that suit your family's unique needs. Some neighborhoods in nice areas have been less impacted by growth so there is no crowding, other neighborhoods have been stretched & might be why the other poster has experienced a negative vibe.There are some schools that are great, others are improving. The new IB program @ North High promotes increased AP/academic rigor. There are private options @ Gorretti & St. James & others. ALOT depends on the ages of ones kids, that will color your view.
To get a sence if it is for your family you have to drive up, sample downtowns, walk thru neighborhoods. Visit houses of worship, frequent summer festivals, read local papers (so much online info on events and local flavor), sample resturants, attend high school or Elem School sporting or theater events. Try a summer theater or music event at Shepherd University(WVa) or Wilson College (Chambersburg,Pa).

We made it a fun project. That way you see and interact w/ the people. Decide if its for your family. For us, it took hooking up w/ a real estate agent and walking thru communities.

On the weekends we have the advantage of being close to beautiful parks, recreation, and natural resources in Allegany County Md, Pennsylavania Counties & select West Va towns. The C&O canal and Appalachian Trail are wonderful. Wash County was a compromise due to commute limits. Wanted to get home at a reasonable hour to enjoy.

If there was a tech corridor closer, I would love to live further out, near Allegany County or Cumberland Md, or in PA. Allegany County sounds & is terrific.

Last edited by alido; 05-09-2007 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,031 times
I am a new boy in Hagerstown,Md. What is Downtown that I can do ? Lets see ? On corner a burned out Rocky Pizza. On the other corner the Unemployment Office. On the other corner a Jewelry Store and the other corner I having figer it out yet. It is noting to do with kids and over price women clothing shops. What is it to do ?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 PM

36 posts, read 109,538 times
We're in Smithsburg in Washington Co. We came here for the space, good schools, and convenience to both Hagerstown, Frederick, and even parts of PA we like to shop in and visit. There are some great older homes in the main part of town, as well as newer ones in the main large development Whispering Hills. There is another development still building in another part of town as well, but can't think of name...

We love the local butcher shop, orchards, market and diner. We like going into H'town for City Park and Discovery Station kid's science museum. H'town also has a good shopping (retail) reputation compared to Frederick (and still accessible to big-town fancy shopping closer to DC).

Frederick has a sweet, thriving historic downtown.

We actually go up to Waynesboro, PA often for some of our "big box" shopping like Lowe's and Walmart.

I know some parents with kids involved in Smithsburg baseball and they love it - very enthusiastic and fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland