Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times

Advertisements

...because for many reason that I have stated in earlier posts, I have just about had my fill with the general student population. It seems that in general, the rate of maturity of students here are stagnant, the cliques that were formed during freshmen year are going to be what many people stay in after college, and the general ethnocentrism, arrogance, and snobbishness isn't going away anytime soon from this population. I realize many of them tend to stay around the DC area for jobs. And since the economy is in shambles, it doesn't look like I can currently move somewhere else across the country like I was intending to.

So as for current UMD students and UMD alumni, I would just like to know where many of them go to after college (the neighborhoods and cities) so that I personally go somewhere else and can get a fresh start and not have to worry about the baggage I'm facing right now! I've been here for over three years, and when I can meet and make more friends easier in ONE semester at my original university compared to THREE years at UMD (my home state school btw) all while running into a-holes, airheads, bigots, and trust-fund elitist kids on a consistent basis, I pretty much get the "message". All I ask is a place where I can live the live-and-let-live life and where all of you don't have to "tolerate" me anymore!

-but as for those few UMD students who aren't like the stereotypical DC yuppie, if anyone can tell me where they tend to live, I would be most appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
...because for many reason that I have stated in earlier posts, I have just about had my fill with the general student population. It seems that in general, the rate of maturity of students here are stagnant, the cliques that were formed during freshmen year are going to be what many people stay in after college, and the general ethnocentrism, arrogance, and snobbishness isn't going away anytime soon from this population. I realize many of them tend to stay around the DC area for jobs. And since the economy is in shambles, it doesn't look like I can currently move somewhere else across the country like I was intending to.

So as for current UMD students and UMD alumni, I would just like to know where many of them go to after college (the neighborhoods and cities) so that I personally go somewhere else and can get a fresh start and not have to worry about the baggage I'm facing right now! I've been here for over three years, and when I can meet and make more friends easier in ONE semester at my original university compared to THREE years at UMD (my home state school btw) all while running into a-holes, airheads, bigots, and trust-fund elitist kids on a consistent basis, I pretty much get the "message". All I ask is a place where I can live the live-and-let-live life and where all of you don't have to "tolerate" me anymore!

-but as for those few UMD students who aren't like the stereotypical DC yuppie, if anyone can tell me where they tend to live, I would be most appreciate.
what was your old school? gmu? it's in fairfax after all.
state the criteria you want?
I'd assuming avoid dic and the hipper inner burbs.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 AM

where do you want to work? what do you want to work as? major?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
what was your old school? gmu? it's in fairfax after all.
state the criteria you want?
I'd assuming avoid dic and the hipper inner burbs.
Actually, it was in Pennsylvania where I attended a college as a freshmen (Fairfax County was where I lived during the "better" part of my childhood). As for the originial school I attended, the general student population were just more genuine, laid-back, friendly, and open to meeting new people. when I transferred to U of MD, the atmosphere was a complete 180 turn for the worst; basically, it was every negative aspect of High School amplified (cliques based on where one lived of who they knew freshmen year instead of similar interests, popularity and respect based on where they came from and how much their parents earned, unprovoked rudeness and obscene behavior at sporting events even for college students, the emphasis on the party scene and ostracizing those who don't get wasted 24/7, white male ethnocentrism belief by nearly every female including every Asian and even some of the black ones). I realize that even though I go to Maryland, I never was not never will be a genuinely wanted part of the university. And since I see nearly no chance of receiving any social amends for the s*** I face while attending UMD, I just wanted to know where I can just not deal with (or deal with a significantly lesser amount) of those kind of people the thing about it is that I would like to live in a pace with a sizable amount of young people, but without the immature, cut-throat, cliquish aspect that tends to dominate the DC twenty-something scene.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:16 PM

well how much are you willing to commute to your job? what do you want in a place to live?
it would help if you hd someone here who feels as if you do.
tom lennox is close. not sure if you've read his posts. he's Asian-Am, though.
seems to like arbutus and dundalk but perhaps you may not.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Why not move out of the DC area altogether after your graduate? PA sounds more like your style....might want to try Philly or Pittsburgh.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Why not move out of the DC area altogether after your graduate? PA sounds more like your style....might want to try Philly or Pittsburgh.
Thanks for the considerations, but I'm trying to move to a place where there are plenty of jobs and young people. I attended Pittsburgh for part of my college years and the city was a more laid-back along with the peers being much more easy-going, but it isn't really a place where younger people flock to after they graduate and live out their twenties. As for Philly, it honestly seems more like a low-end repeat of Washington DC (not to mention being part of the Bos-Wash Corridor). I'm leaning towards moving to places out West. The problem is getting there without some trust-fund or connections, something many people my age - who want to stay in the DC area - seem to have an abundant amount of.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:04 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Default Where do UMD students move after graduation:

in my experience---home.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 AM

well Baltimore is supposed to be more laid back than dc. perhaps you could try one of the Baltimore area burbs. not sure if it's a whole lot better than dc but perhaps a little better at least.

maybe even annapolis?

i'm really clueless as to the racial politics of these places.

I think there are a lot of people from nyc/nj in bmore colleges though

columbia is in the bmore are but maybe has too much dcish snobbery?
owings mills is pretty big for young professionals. towson/timonium too i think. towson u has a lot of ny/nj people. towson is an urban burb. lt ail in timonim. subway in om.
you could hang out in baltimore now and then.
perhaps consider annapolis but there might be a lack of African-Americans?

Old 04-24-2009, 09:58 AM

hopefully you can get some ideas of where in MD to live and post another topic about specific towns/cities to live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland