U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 AM

2 posts, read 13,204 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I recently relocated back to Maryland a few weeks ago and like many not able to sell our house so are in search of temporary housing in an apartment.
We came across an apartment community that is being newly built in Elkridge, MD apartments that boasts 2Br/2Ba loft style apartments with over 1000 square feet and up. Since my husband works in Elkridge we thought it would be a great place to visit and tour.
To make a long story short we were stopped at the door by the property manager, Moderator cut: please no libel statements allowed. and told that we would not be able to rent from their property because we have 5 in our family (2 adults, 3 children). Basically that their apartments only accomodate families with a maximum of 4 people or 2 people per bedroom. She continued to say that this was set by the owners and that they have the right to set it that way.
My husband contacted the Howard County government(since that is the county Elkridge is part of) and could find no law that indicated an "occupancy code" that limits the amount of people in the apartment. We have done extensive research and could find no such law.
I was just wondering if anyone else out there with a family of 5 or more were rejected by and felt that their rights were violated? Or are they justified in what they are saying? If so can someone please direct me to the law that states that?
The whole thing was very frustrating and upsetting to us since we are a family with very good credit, have little debt, pay our bills on time, and are just trying to find a safe place for our family to live while we ride out this housing nightmare. Also we are looking into 1000 square feet of living space, which to me seems like alot of space since our house we are trying to sell is 1500 square feet!
Thank you for reading and any advice would be appreciated. Just to let you know we did file a complaint with the [SIZE=2]HUD's Maryland Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO). I can't help but feel that our rights were violated.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-28-2009 at 04:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:49 AM

40,138 posts, read 51,981,502 times
You're probably out of gas on your complaint: unless it changed, the MD state livability code for residential rentals mandates 250 sq. ft./person and the locals work off that. The other reason is that family size isn't a protected class.
In fact the state's Planning and Zoning Department has been encouraging local jurisdictions to tighten up their codes the last couple years to limit the number of non-related individuals living in a rental unit, which doesn't pertain to you, just an example of what's going on.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 04-28-2009 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 AM

205 posts, read 789,839 times
Go to Ocean City and try to rent a 2 bed hotel room when you have 5 people. Some hotels won't let you. Others will offer a portable extra bed, but they'll also charge you extra for the 5th person. Some won't have any conditions and just rent you the room normally. My point is that different property owners set different rules. It's the same thing with apartments. There may even be local ordinances, covenants, or HOA rules that enforce a limitation as to how many people may occupy a residence. Different owners can also interpret health and safety laws differently. It's likely not discrimination and is probably just the way contracts have been written up for that building based on any number of factors.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 13,204 times
Thank you for your information. Just curious where you found the MD state livability code and if you can send me the link to the website? It definitely seems that it is very vague in terms of everyone's interpretation of how many people per rental. Is there no concrete law?? It is very frustrating really. However I was reading the office of Fair Housing and equal opportunity and they definitely rank "familial status" , in which it includes having children under the age of 18, as a form of discrimination. My husband called the Howard county govt directly and they directed him to a website that had Bill No. 80 -2006 which addressed the amount of square feet per person and it was much less than the 250. Thanks again though for the response.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 AM

MGA Statutes Text Page 1

A lot of wading through to do. Your under 18 reference means that a rental can't be denied unless it's an age restricted development, which is legal. You might be better off looking for another place. In Howard, you need to talk to someone in Code Enforcement or Planning and Zoning if you haven't already.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:34 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,385,297 times
The Brand New & Spacious Loft Apartment at Penniman Park Apartments (http://baltimore.craigslist.org/apa/1107169851.html - broken link) add in Craigslist states that dogs and cats are ok. So this place will accept 2 adults, 2 children and a pet but not 2 adults with 3 kids?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,299 times
Smile Any Positive Results?

Just curious if you had any positive results in your apartment search? I was thinking about relocating to the Maryland area from Atlanta and stumbled on Penniman Park's website. I am looking for a new apartment (preferably) in or around the Howard County area.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:13 PM

332 posts, read 1,217,943 times
Most people are not honest about how many people are living in their apartment. I'm not suggesting that you be dishonest but I know that a neighbor of mine must have had at least 5 people living in a 1 bedroom apt. The previous tenant prior to them moved out because they felt it was too small for 2 people and now there were 5. They were very quiet and nice so I did not complain but you are suppose to register everyone who will live in the apartment, there is no way they would have rented to that many people in a 1 bedroom apt.

Also, a previous poster complain about the same issue but I believe it was with 3 people in a 1 bedroom and not in Elkridge.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,756 times
Hi - I may be moving to the area (and to Pennington) in the next 6 months. I wanted to confirm that Pennington actually has a limit of 4 people per 2 bedroom apartment (late response, I know). This caveat is actually on the lease application, which I just received today. This seems in line with North Beach Person's post about building codes. Perhaps they are legally allowed to limit occupancies to 4 people if they indicate so on the application? Hopefully you were able to find a great place regardless!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM

Overall space in a rental is 250 sq. ft. per person. A bedroom has to be 100 sq. ft. for the first occupant and an additional 50 sq. ft. for each additional occupant (2 people 150, 3 people is 200 and so on).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>