U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 51,273 times

Advertisements

Currently I'm living in Annapolis and am looking to move to Dundalk. I am a single mother and am looking to buy a house and currently Dundalk looks like one of the more affordable places to live. I have read a lot about Dundalk's "white trash" and so on...and I'm not particularly concerned about that. I would appreciate any suggestions on what neighborhoods of Dundalk are the safest. I've pretty much figured out on my own that I should stay away from West Inverness.

What is the crime like in Dundalk? What streets should I stay away from? Is the crime worse the closer you get to the city? Will my 12 year old daughter be safe walking home from school by herself?

I don't want to move to an area where I have to constantly worry about my car being stolen, as I do have a desirable car. I know crime is everywhere, my house has been burglarized here in Annapolis.

Any suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 11,779 times
I would suggest looking in the Sparrows Point/Fort Howard area. I grew up in Dundalk and have really watched the various neighborhoods go downhill. My son was mugged two years ago in the area I grew up in. My mom lives in Fort Howard and while things aren't as close as in some other areas it's still a safe neighborhood and I don't mind driving 15 or 20 minutes to get to the stores as long as I have my family living in a good environment.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Well, that's a good point, never considered that. I called my insurance company and I'm interested in what they will come up with. Thanks for pointing that out.

YMathews...thanks for the info. I already looked into Sparrows Point and they had like 2 houses for sale in my price range...not a good selection. I'll look into Fort Howard.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,838,670 times
Just a suggestion...have you considered Essex-Middle River (zip-codes 21221 and 21220)?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Just a suggestion...have you considered Essex-Middle River (zip-codes 21221 and 21220)?
Hi Janet. Yes I did consider Essex. The problem is I work in Annapolis, and I don't want to live too far away from work. Dundalk's looking like its already going to be a good hour drive or so in the morning rush hour.

Also...wanted to mention this to anyone thinking of moving to Baltimore County. I called my car insurance company, and my car insurance will go up $800 a year to move to Baltimore County from Anne Arundel County. I spoke with someone at work who lives in Baltimore City and he told me that he pays $400 a month for car insurance because city insurance rates are so high!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,838,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apbt View Post
Hi Janet. Yes I did consider Essex. The problem is I work in Annapolis, and I don't want to live too far away from work. Dundalk's looking like its already going to be a good hour drive or so in the morning rush hour.

Also...wanted to mention this to anyone thinking of moving to Baltimore County. I called my car insurance company, and my car insurance will go up $800 a year to move to Baltimore County from Anne Arundel County. I spoke with someone at work who lives in Baltimore City and he told me that he pays $400 a month for car insurance because city insurance rates are so high!
I agree; the drive from Essex to Annapolis would add about 10 to 15 minutes or so to your commute compared to Dundalk. From Dundalk you can jump on the Key Bridge, which is usually clear even during rush hour. The Harbor Tunnel is hit or miss. When I was working I would have to go to Annapolis once a month or so, and I would usually take the Key Bridge even though it added a few miles to the trip, but chances were better I woudn't hit a back-up.

The insurance thing is crazy. I really don't understand how they come up with their rates. For years my sister lived in Oakenshawe which is in Baltimore City (northwest of 33rd St and Greenmount Ave) and commuted to Dundalk High School where she taught. Meanwhile, I lived in Essex and commuted every day to the State Office Building downtown where I worked. Pretty much the same commute every day but reversed. Her car insurance rates were more than triple what mine were. Similar coverage and neither of us had filed a claim. The only difference is that her car was in the county all day and in the city all night, and mine was vice-versa.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Wow...that's crazy. The insurance agent didn't really give me an explanation for it.

Thanks for the info on the Key Bridge versus the tunnel...I had a feeling the bridge was the better way to go.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:45 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,329,489 times
I am not a fan of Dundalk per se, but I do think that the areas of Edgemere/Fort Howard and an area known as Millers Island are the best places to live in the 21222 zip code.

And yes, the Key Bridge is preferable to either of the tunnels.

Good luck to ya!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 11,398 times
I know that this post is kind of late, but I thought I'd put my sense into this. I live in Eastfield; when I first moved here, 11 years ago, my neighborhood was great! Maybe I thought that because I was 5 years old, but now I can see for myself that it's getting worse, fast. I would have to say stay away from West Inverness. It seems like all of the people who were there, and made West Inverness a bad area are moving to my neighborhood. Also, your daughter is 12 years old so she’s in 7th grade. I personally can say that Middle School was one of the hardest times for me. Mostly due to where I live. I was walking home from school, with my best friend and 3 boys, whom we attended school with sexually assaulted us. Now, that is one situation, but it has changed my life. There are a lot of drugs here as well as gangs. I’m not saying that everything is bad, but it’s far from good. I mean come on we’ve finally broken the 100 mark for sexual predators, GO DUNDALK! My advice to you is to find somewhere better to raise your daughter, because the things that happen here are what make me want to move as soon as possible. I hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:32 PM

2,960 posts, read 12,820,353 times
My niece and nephew were raised in Dundalk specifically Sparrows Point. I can not express strongly enough my total dislike for this general area. I would never raise my child in this area. Do not raise your daughter in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland