Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 14,110 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move from Bowie and have a budget of about 450-500K. My husband works in Burtonsville and is all excited about a neighborhood he found in Millersville that is serviced by Severna Park Schools (Benfield Elem., Severna Park Middle and Severna Park High). I just don't know enough about the areas to know what direction to go toward. He works in Burtonsville and works 16 hours a day so he has to have no longer than a 25-30 minute commute, but shorter is better. I've heard great things about Severna Park and Arnold and now am hearing of Piney Orchard and Gambrills. Just like everyone else, we want the best schools available for the money we have to spend and a managable commute to work.

Any thoughts? Oh, and any input on well water and septic vs. public service would be much appreciated--this neighborhood has well water and I am totally unfamiliar with what that might mean for us.

Thanks a ton!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 AM

71 posts, read 452,516 times
I grew up in Severna Park and really like it. I can't afford to live there now though. If you can afford it, I'd say go for it. Millersville is also nice but I'd choose Severna Park. I wouldn't want well water though. From what I understand if something happens it cost a fortune to fix.
Where is Burtonsville? I don't even know if I've ever heard of it. Is it supposed to be close to SP?

Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 14,110 times
I don't think Severna Park is all that close, but not too, too far from Burtonsville. I am directionally challenged, but I think Burtonsville is near Laurel.

Thanks for the input. I also have heard well stuff can be expensive. Looks like I have way more research to do before we make a decision.

Have a great day!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:56 AM

5 posts, read 34,958 times
Burtonsville is in Montgomery county but right on the Montgomery CO. Howard CO. border. The other poster was right it is near Laurel. I am also looking in the Millersville, Severna Park area and I was wondering what area you found in Millersville that is serviced by Severna Park schools.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Hey Adios Baltimore! I attended Severna Park Elementary and Jr. High when we lived in S.P. '66-'69. Parents owned a house on Cedar Road in West Severna Park which is a tri-level built in the 1950's (I believe). I live in Ohio now and looked at the Zillow listing for that tri-level and they said arond $450K. Is that for real??? I'm not being trying to be a wise guy, I just think maybe I'm in a different world over here. Am I? Our house is far nicer than the one on Cedar Road and cost less than half. (But we don't have many of the cool things I liked about A.A. Co., either... ) I sure miss S.P. but don't think we could afford to live there even on our (pretty good for Ohio) household income...

Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 AM

Yes, unfortunately it is true! My husband and I have to leave the area because we really can't afford anything other than the 2 br townhouse we bought 5 yrs ago. We couldn't even afford to buy that now. My house value doubled in 3 years. I guess we bought at the right time but now we are stuck.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adios Baltimore View Post
Yes, unfortunately it is true! My husband and I have to leave the area because we really can't afford anything other than the 2 br townhouse we bought 5 yrs ago. We couldn't even afford to buy that now. My house value doubled in 3 years. I guess we bought at the right time but now we are stuck.
Thanks for the reply, Adios! MAN, it's hard to believe that AA Co. has gotten so expensive... From what I see, the salary ranges aren't THAT much greater than over here in OH, but the real estate prices are outta sight!!! I hope you and hubby can find a nice home with equity money; best of luck!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 19,311 times
hey! i grew up on cedar road too! my mother sold that house for about 120,000 back in 95. its worth about 425,000 now. its insane.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 19,311 times
hey! i grew up on cedar road too! my mother sold that house for about 120,000 back in 95. its worth about 425,000 now. its insane. We moved to millersville, right on the line of severna park, so i was still able to attend severna park middle/high school. i think its great. it really worked out for us. some places in millersville isnt so great...and old mill, ive always heard horror stories from people who went there.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:54 PM

And to give you even more insight-our house is going on the market Wed for 285K. It's a 2 br townhouse, about 1700sq ft. And it's on the line of Pasadena and Curtis Bay across from the BGE and how do I put this.. what we call the poo plant. Leaving our neighborhood is a beautiful view of smoke stacks and the lovely smell of poo in the summer.
It amazes me that houses are going for as much as they are. We are moving to Austin TX and that money would go WAY farther!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland