Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,172 times

Advertisements

Very simply Maryland is for African American people, you are now a minority if you are white in Maryland (combine African, Asian, and Latino). However Maryland is the wealthiest state in the country for median household income, that is #1 see link:

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/103432/The-Richest-(and-Poorest)-Places-in-the-U.S.?mod=oneclick%20he%20DC%20metro%20area%20in%20 general (broken link).

The Washington, D.C. metro area (which includes MD & VA) is basically over diversified for most genteel mid-westerners. This is an area to make an impact and be somebody while rasing a family and having the good life. It is a multitasking area. The immigrants here generally do not assimilate in the community, they create their own. The African American community also generally has not assimilated in the Washington, D.C. area (much like the rest of the country). They also have created their own area of prosperity and its Prince Georges county. And call it Prince Georges county NOT PG county. Prince Georges county is the African American jewel of the world, it is the most affluent large African American area on the planet, period. There are a few suburban “white islands” left in Maryland they include northeastern & southeastern Anne Arundel county (getting smaller every day), Baltimore County, and Frederick County. Almost all of rural Maryland is white including the Eastern shore, Southern Maryland, Western Maryland, and north of Baltimore (a.k.a Balmer). All the rest of the D.C. metro area is a mishmash of people from all over the world not just NY, NJ, and the northeast (but they are here too). The best thing to do here is just get into the wild a fun differences of everyone that is here and then you will really enjoy the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 PM

196 posts, read 796,030 times
I agree that the Germantown/Gaithersburg area will be more "abrupt", and agree that it's because those people are pressed for time. Up here in Carroll County, it's still more laid back. Not as slow paced as when I moved down here, but nice. My theory is, people are like rats; the more you have per square foot/mile, the more agressive they are forced to be.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
The DC area is just too crowded. I remember about 1991 or so when drivers in Loudoun County first started getting rude. It seemed like in a short period of time, a lot of cars were running red lights, and road rage became common.

I used to travel to Okla City frequently at the time, and everyone just seemed so relaxed. People still drove fast, but there was little or no rage. Maybe the rude people you're talking about are from elsewhere like some of the posts say, or maybe the area is just too expensive & overcrowded, and everyone is just stressed out. I lived in Frederick for awhile around 2004-2005; the people out there seemed nice, and a lot more relaxed than closer in towards DC.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
Very simply Maryland is for African American people, you are now a minority if you are white in Maryland (combine African, Asian, and Latino). However Maryland is the wealthiest state in the country for median household income, that is #1 see link:

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/103432/The-Richest-(and-Poorest)-Places-in-the-U.S.?mod=oneclick%20he%20DC%20metro%20area%20in%20 general (broken link).

The Washington, D.C. metro area (which includes MD & VA) is basically over diversified for most genteel mid-westerners. This is an area to make an impact and be somebody while rasing a family and having the good life. It is a multitasking area. The immigrants here generally do not assimilate in the community, they create their own. The African American community also generally has not assimilated in the Washington, D.C. area (much like the rest of the country). They also have created their own area of prosperity and its Prince Georges county. And call it Prince Georges county NOT PG county. Prince Georges county is the African American jewel of the world, it is the most affluent large African American area on the planet, period. There are a few suburban “white islands” left in Maryland they include northeastern & southeastern Anne Arundel county (getting smaller every day), Baltimore County, and Frederick County. Almost all of rural Maryland is white including the Eastern shore, Southern Maryland, Western Maryland, and north of Baltimore (a.k.a Balmer). All the rest of the D.C. metro area is a mishmash of people from all over the world not just NY, NJ, and the northeast (but they are here too). The best thing to do here is just get into the wild a fun differences of everyone that is here and then you will really enjoy the area.
I'm a minority and I think its not a good thing that assimilation is not happening, especially with Hispanic Americans and Middle Easterners. Even as an Asian American, I am sometimes criticized for being too "Americanized". Its actually kind of disturbing on a certain level when I tell people my favorite singers are Martina McBride, Kenny Chesney and Taylor Swift and even a lot of white people here haven't even heard of them. This is DEFINITELY NOT the real America!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 AM

72 posts, read 448,516 times
I think the DC area is more snobby than other parts of MD. Baltimore is more down to earth. Of course it can also be a dangerous place, but that's another subject..

Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
I think there are many who are so engrossed in their own lives to realize that you even exist. That goes for driving, socializing, shopping, and general interactions. I loved where I lived since I had only a 7 minute commute but it was very costly. I was central to a lot of things, which I miss. I don't regret paying more to do that. I just don't think I want to move back up there, either.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:18 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,763 times
Quick reply here but IMHO this area (and not just Montgomery) has a high STRESS level. Crowding is a big factor. Crowded commute, crowded parking, crowded shopping, doctors who "rush you through," etc. etc.
It also has a lot of ambitious people. They are working on No. 1's career and advancement plan and have no time for you or even for manners. Meet someone and right away it's what do you do, and who do you know, and what's your income level. Many are into "the image." There are exceptions and I've met them, but enough of the former to screw the area up.
To be fair, I have found this too in some other big NE cities. But here, there is a rootlessness (with so many transients) and sometimes lack of some basic values (e.g., more work/commute time, less family time, don't take the time to be nice to people) that in turn makes me feel "unrooted."

Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM

13 posts, read 65,558 times
I agree I been to Germantown and they are like that. I just really hate the customer service and the way they drive.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:56 AM

74 posts, read 379,207 times
I think we are all biased by commuting. Having to drive around here can make people exceedingly impatient and irritated with others... and then there's always one or two hot-shots (or sometimes soccer moms) weaving in and out of traffic at 90 MPH (when thats even possible) like they're hot shots.

This coupled with ethnic diversity, and the proven psychological fact that people empathize much less with those that look different from them, work to make people feel isolated and outside of their definition of community.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 PM

168 posts, read 672,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
If you want to experience some authentic Marylanders go to the mountains or over to the Eastern Shore.
If MD culture is like the Eastern Shore I pity anyone looking to get something done quickly. The good ol-boy network is alive and well and amazes me with its slow near snail pace and utter ignorant way of doing things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland