U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 AM

786 posts, read 4,410,536 times

Advertisements

When I moved out to the DC area the first place I lived was Germantown MD. At the time it was a quiet suburban town that was mostly white. Now it is rapidly growing and mostly immigrants. I go over to Maryland all the time and have one major observation--- most of the people I meet in Maryland are "rough around the edges" They just seem to have an edge to them. A bit like the people in New Jersey and the Philadelphia area.

It is hard to put in words, but there is a sharpness, abruptness, coldness and impatience that seems quite common among many of the people in Maryland. I wonder if anyone else who has moved to Maryland from the Midwest have noticed this also.

I know that many people who live in suburban Maryland are transplants but I believe many are from the urban Northeastern United States and bring their "edge" with them just like they did in Southern Florida. Others who are from more gentle places in the country adapt to the Maryland culture.

Last edited by Dingler; 04-10-2007 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 AM

5,343 posts, read 8,622,527 times
If you lived and interacted with people around Montgomery County, you were dealing mostly with non-Marylands. The suburbs around DC are a mix of people from all parts of this country and overseas. Like any urban/inner suburban area the people here are in a hurry. You would be too if you had a $300,000 mortgage, a 1.5 hour commute, and were hundreds of miles from wherever your family called "home". There are virtually no authentic Maryland natives here and very little Maryland culture. If you want to experience some authentic Marylanders go to the mountains or over to the Eastern Shore.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,152,064 times
I live in Carroll County and moved here from Arkansas. I generally find people to be very open and friendly. In many ways, Marylanders are more genuinely friendly than Arkansans. The sense of community is definitely more developed in Maryland, whereas in Arkansas (especially northern Arkansas) people often view themselves as pioneering and still on the frontier so they want to be left alone.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,784,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
When I moved out to the DC area the first place I lived was Germantown MD. At the time it was a quiet suburban town that was mostly white. Now it is rapidly growing and mostly immigrants. I go over to Maryland all the time and have one major observation--- most of the people I meet in Maryland are "rough around the edges" They just seem to have an edge to them. A bit like the people in New Jersey and the Philadelphia area.

It is hard to put in words, but there is a sharpness, abruptness, coldness and impatience that seems quite common among many of the people in Maryland. I wonder if anyone else who has moved to Maryland from the Midwest have noticed this also.

I know that many people who live in suburban Maryland are transplants but I believe many are from the urban Northeastern United States and bring their "edge" with them just like they did in Southern Florida. Others who are from more gentle places in the country adapt to the Maryland culture.

Yeah, its the northeast/midatlantic mindset. I had to get used to and I changed. My family tell me I'm much more aggressive than when I lived in the midwest (Ohio). Just remember that its diluted with southern charm otherwise you would be in culture shock and have to deal with Boston/New York, Philly mindsets which are far worse....

Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 AM

4 posts, read 62,178 times
I lived for a summer in Baltimore and thought the people were friendly, more so then from where I transplanted, but maybe it was the habitual "Hon?'
Then again, I'm from northern Illinois and around here most (not all) people annoy me with their slowww, closed minds and I am generally considered pushy.
People are people. I think anytime you relocate you will notice some differences, but plenty of similarities, in your neighbors. Roll with it, I guess? =)

Old 09-04-2007, 01:14 PM

8,703 posts, read 13,107,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
If you lived and interacted with people around Montgomery County, you were dealing mostly with non-Marylands. The suburbs around DC are a mix of people from all parts of this country and overseas. Like any urban/inner suburban area the people here are in a hurry. You would be too if you had a $300,000 mortgage, a 1.5 hour commute, and were hundreds of miles from wherever your family called "home". There are virtually no authentic Maryland natives here and very little Maryland culture. If you want to experience some authentic Marylanders go to the mountains or over to the Eastern Shore.
I've heard this on this forum a lot, that Montgomery County is not the "Real Maryland" or the "typical Maryland". Growing up here made me want to give up not only on the entire state but the entire East Coast/Northeast. I now tell myself I must live somewhere south or west of here. People now tell me that places I"m interested in like Las Vegas, Houston, Dallas, and North Carolina are much of the same with all transplants, including many people from the New York City, Philly, Boston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco areas which I want to avoid.

Part of me is starting to think the rest of Maryland might be worth a try. The thing is I'm applying to dental and pharmacy school, don't know which one will accept me or where I'll end up going. Especially if I go with dental its not really a job where you can move around all the time and I want to establish myself somewhere. Are Baltimore and Frederick more laid back? A couple peopel here have also said that because I'm not white I will not reallyu be accepted in Carroll County but its one of the few places in Maryland I have a favorable opinion on. I'm very Americanized and socially and politically conservative (the type that still boycotts the DIxie Chicks and supports our military), not your typical minority.

I'm just afraid of trying out elsewhere in Maryland and getting disappointed and then being stuck here for the rest of my life. While Nevada or Texas may not be as friendly as they used to be, at least down there its always sunny and the weather is better, unless here with our unbearable winters.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:16 PM

8,703 posts, read 13,107,877 times
It has a lot to do with the Yankees coming here. And FYI Germantown is much more pleasant compared to Potomac and Bethesda.

I've noticed a ghetto mentality in Germantown, especially among the illegals and recent people from inner city DC but that's not the snobbiness and arrogance of lower Montgomery County. Some of the immigrants there are better than the Yankees and easier to deal with.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:46 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,281,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post

Thats because they're not from Maryland. They're all probably originally from New Jersey or Philly, etc.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:04 PM

551 posts, read 1,734,684 times
Terrapin, since you support our military (and I do, also) why do you want to show that support by boycotting the dixie chicks when you are old enough to join the military? You would also have an opportunity to meet people from the smaller towns in the midwest and the south. (BTW I am older now but I was in the army during VietNam)

Old 09-04-2007, 04:02 PM

56 posts, read 244,105 times
Born and raised in DC, moved to Michigan after college for a year and then 12 yrs in Indianapolis....YES, the Midwest is friendlier and more easy going. I loved the work ethic and attitude of the people there....very Polite. As others indicated its a Northeast thing....further North you go the harsher it gets, except it maybe peaks in NY where WHADDAYAWANT is translation for "How may I help you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or