Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times

Advertisements

I love my part of the state out here in the mountains. As for the rest of it.....less love and more acceptance and respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 AM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times
I will say that you can definitely have a love hate relationship with the state. Maryland is really for more established people. It is also good for schools as well, but in order to make it around here, I think people established in there careers fair better here.

I grew up in Prince George's County (Let the comments begin) and I have always loved Maryland. It wasn't until I relocated here from being in the military did I realize, that moving is an option. What I mean by that is that there is definitely a more affordable areas to live in then this area (D.C.). The one thing that is hard to pull away from is family and job availability.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
I will say that you can definitely have a love hate relationship with the state. Maryland is really for more established people. It is also good for schools as well, but in order to make it around here, I think people established in there careers fair better here.

I grew up in Prince George's County (Let the comments begin) and I have always loved Maryland. It wasn't until I relocated here from being in the military did I realize, that moving is an option. What I mean by that is that there is definitely a more affordable areas to live in then this area (D.C.). The one thing that is hard to pull away from is family and job availability.
I completely agree with you... MD really is better for more established people... I will miss my family who are all still in MD... I lucked out and had a pretty easy time finding a job in FL...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times
Good for you Tercel95. I might have to PM you to get the scoop on the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I completely agree with you... MD really is better for more established people... I will miss my family who are all still in MD... I lucked out and had a pretty easy time finding a job in FL...

Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Good for you Tercel95. I might have to PM you to get the scoop on the area.
Sure feel free to ask me anything you want.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 PM

51 posts, read 217,716 times
There are a lot of whiners in this country; so no matter where you live, you will encounter them.

We lived in 3 states (MS, IL, and KY) before we moved to MD. Geographically, MD is beautiful with trees and beaches. Our kids love going to the beaches and parks. I am happy with my kid's school. People in general are okay but not as friendly as those in the 3 states I used to live (e.g., they may not wave or say hi when you greet them). Just like everywhere else, people in small towns are nicer than urban folks. However, many issues that we are not happy about including taxes, permits, vehicle restrictions, government appeasing illegal immigrants, and high cost of living. Your freedom here is limited by all kinds of rules that the state made up. If you want to build or remodeling on your property, you'd have to get a permit. We just put up a small garage on our land, and it took 1-full year to get it done. The permit process took almost 10 months, and the actual building was less than 2 months.

We are not just complaining but planning on moving out once we sell our house. We are thinking of VA because that is closer to our jobs. If VA gets too expensive or the liberal government starts taking over, we may move again. We are glad that we still have choices..

My two-cent. Good luck on your move.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
I definitely agree about the unfriendliness part. It's like that everywhere from DC to Boston though, not just Maryland. In the past year I've been to Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Jacksonville (FL) and people are just a lot more friendlier than they are here.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,228 times
I grew up in Maryland and have also lived in Atlanta, and a short time in FL and CA. Now I am stuck in NH until 2018. I did not appreciate MD until I moved to NH. The people are more friendly in MD, the weather is better and jobs pay much more, even though the cost of living is relatively the same in NH.
Southern MD and the Eastern Shore are particularly nice.

It's now June and my heat is still on..........Sigh........... Enjoy MD : )

Last edited by MarylandGirlinNH; 06-07-2009 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland