Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 18,603 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to Baltimore in the next few months. He is starting graduate school at Towson and I am currently looking for a job. I will most likely be working in Rockville or Bethesda (based on all the jobs I have applied for thus far.) We are trying to figure out where we can/should live. I don't know if it is better to try to find a place to live between Towson and wherever I will be working or to live closer to one of the respective locations. We will have one car so one person can commute by car if necessary, but driving to a metro station and going seperate ways is an option too, possibly a better one.

I have been reading posts on various neighborhoods and counties of Maryland, but first I need to get a better idea of what commutes are feasible to sort of narrow down some general areas. I know that as with any city there are definate areas to avoid and those that better areas (i.e. less crime etc.). I am just trying to get a headstart on narrowing down areas to look at more closely.

Other info. that is pertinent...we are looking to rent a 2 bedroom apt. we will have one car, can ride bikes or walk if close to a metro. We would like to be in an area where we can fairly easily access food (shopping and restaurants), night life, things like that. We are coming from a small town in Michigan, and are looking forward to moving to some place where we have different options. I don't want to come off as sounding too naive about moving to a large city. We are aware of the bad that comes along with city living too.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 PM

184 posts, read 750,893 times
This is probably too obvious to even say, but it would be a whole lot better if you could find a job in Baltimore or the surrounding area. Easier said than done, I know. But you guys could live in Baltimore or Towson and enjoy "city life" and have reasonable commutes.

If you look at a map, you will see the difficulties in getting between Towson and Rockville. There just aren't many highway routes. You could take the Baltimore beltway (695) down to 95 S to the DC beltway (495) and then north on 270. This is a tough drive. Public transit options aren't great, either, as Bethesda and Rockville fare on the DC "transportation grid" (Metro/Metrobus) and Towson is on the Baltimore one (Balty has a subway but it's not called Metro). You might consider living in Baltimore near a train station. You could take MARC to Union Station and Metro to your job (if you have a metro-accessible job), and your boyfriend could drive to Towson. You could live somewhere between the two areas, but you might have to sacrifice "city life" and get a second car, depending.

Anyway, I would really calculate out the commute and how long it's going to take before signing a lease or taking a job. But welcome to the area! Baltimore's a great city, still relatively affordable (compared to DC) and there's a lot of fun stuff for young people.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspringer View Post
This is probably too obvious to even say, but it would be a whole lot better if you could find a job in Baltimore or the surrounding area. Easier said than done, I know. But you guys could live in Baltimore or Towson and enjoy "city life" and have reasonable commutes.

If you look at a map, you will see the difficulties in getting between Towson and Rockville. There just aren't many highway routes. You could take the Baltimore beltway (695) down to 95 S to the DC beltway (495) and then north on 270. This is a tough drive. Public transit options aren't great, either, as Bethesda and Rockville fare on the DC "transportation grid" (Metro/Metrobus) and Towson is on the Baltimore one (Balty has a subway but it's not called Metro). You might consider living in Baltimore near a train station. You could take MARC to Union Station and Metro to your job (if you have a metro-accessible job), and your boyfriend could drive to Towson. You could live somewhere between the two areas, but you might have to sacrifice "city life" and get a second car, depending.

Anyway, I would really calculate out the commute and how long it's going to take before signing a lease or taking a job. But welcome to the area! Baltimore's a great city, still relatively affordable (compared to DC) and there's a lot of fun stuff for young people.
Thanks for the reply. I figured it would not be easy, but I was hoping that maybe it was easier than it really looked. I too am still hoping for a job opportunity closer to Baltimore (only 1 of the 16 I have applied for have been in Baltimore). I'll keep my fingers crossed because I would really like to be able to enjoy the amenities of the city...not just the traffic while commuting

Old 04-12-2007, 11:52 PM

18 posts, read 66,685 times
What is your occupation that you can't find a job closer? Like the pp stated it would be much easier to get a job closer unless you don't work a regular schedule. My husband worked in Bethsda and we live in Randallstown (BA) and it took him about 45min -2hrs to and from work.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:25 PM

I am a biologist. More specifically a molecular biologist with a fair amount of DNA analysis experience, but not too much clinical. I am still trying to find openings that are closer to Baltimore and I have had some luck. It just seems that there are so many really good genomic/molecular bio scientist positions out that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland