Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 25,184 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am hoping to get some feedback about Veterans Elementary school from parents or people familiar with the situation there. Since the school is so new, it is not yet rated on greatschools.com or similar websites.

How has your experience been with the school so far? Do you find the teachers available and dedicated? Is the principal doing a good job? For those whose kids are enrolled in the gifted and talented program - how is that working out? Is there a particular teacher you would recommend? My son is about to start first grade, and I think he may well end up in the GT program as he matures.

If you don't recommend the Veterans Elementary school, what are your impressions of Bellows Spring, Waterloo, and Hollifield Station? We cannot afford the really top-rated elementary schools (Northfield, Waverly, Centennial Lane, etc) yet, so we have to pick among the surrounding elementary schools rated 7-8 on greatschools. I would really appreciate honest opinions - please let me know if you prefer to contact me off-list.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by kessaris; 06-08-2009 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM

382 posts, read 1,206,033 times
kessaris, I'm hoping you do get someone to respond. I was curious about this school when it opened. It seemed like much of the student population was coming from townhome and apartment communities of adjacent districts, removing some of the diversity from those other schools, and making Veterans quite diverse and unique. If you look at the HCPSS profile information for Veterans, it gives the following Fast Facts:

Quote:
Facility opened - 2007
School Capacity: 788
Total Enrollment (PreK-5): 868
Student Mobility 2007-08
8.2% Entrants
6.2% Withdrawals
Quote:
Ethnicity
White 34.2%
African American 18.2%
Asian 37.9%
Hispanic 3.5%
Native American 0%
Unidentified 6.2%
Quote:
Students Receiving Special Services
Title I 0%
Ltd. English Proficient 13.5%
Free/Reduced Lunch 20.0%
Special Education 10.4%
PTA members: 530
I don't know of any other school in the county where the Asian ethnicity is in the majority. 37.8 percent is very high. Often a high Asian percentage is an indicator of high performing schools on standardized tests, and an abundance of GT opportunities. I'd like to know if that holds true for this school.

But along with that, Veterans has a high limited English proficiency percentage, as well as a high percentage of free/reduced lunch, often a predictor of a lower performing school.

My guess is that there would be a strong population of GT students with a lot of diversity overall, more than you would find in neighboring schools.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Thank you, NewHart!

I looked at the official stats, also - but I would love to hear some first-hand (or even second-hand) experience with the school. I think there should be lots of interest in the school because it's the only realistically affordable elementary school for the majority of first-time home buyers who are looking to get in the the Centennial High School district. I am wondering if there is a "GT school within a regular school" situation going on, or if there is perhaps a general mix-up of a very diverse population by inexperienced teachers. Are the strong students being challenged? Are the struggling students being supported, or left alone to become discipline problems? We are coming from a very diverse kindergarten, and we are delighted with the experience, so I know it can be done right!

Please speak up! :-) Thank you!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Bringing the topic up - hoping for a reply!

Old 11-11-2010, 01:07 PM

20 posts, read 87,853 times
Any comment on this elementary school? We are thinking of the woods of Tiber Branch community (off Old Columbia Pike). The high school in this area is Centennial. Middle School is Ellicott Mills.

I will like to know of first hand experience. I have seen the stats but i will not put any credence to it since the school is fairly new.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
We live in a nearby district. There are parents at our school who also have a child at Veteran's, as there are a lot of special needs programs there and the 4-year-old preschool for several areas is there. Most say positive things, but from what I've heard calling it "overcrowded" is something of an understatement.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 AM

195 posts, read 745,337 times
I have a friend that teaches there and he enjoys it. Another way to get an idea is to actually pay a visit to the school and really get the "feel" of the environment there. Speak with the principal, staff, etc. They will do so if they know that you are considering the school. I have clients who relocated from out of state and made visits to the schools and that is how they made their decision.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:17 PM

332 posts, read 1,280,315 times
I met a teacher who works there and loves it as well. They have a lot of special services at this school. It is one of the largest elementary schools by design in the county and is currently overcrowded, as J_Lurk indicated. All of the schools teach from the same curriculum so your kid will get virtually the same education that they would get anywhere else in the county. After school, booster and testing can be different but for the most part instruction will be the same.

If you are into the stats at all, without significant redistricting, I would doubt that this school will be a top school anytime soon. As stated in an earlier post, they are pulling from a lot of apartments. I also believe they did not make AYP, just like a few other schools in the area. If you are okay with the stats, then I'm sure you will not have a problem and your kid will get a good education.

FYI, not making AYP can make schools and others take drastic measures.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM

382 posts, read 1,206,033 times
There are a couple of very positive comments on the great schools site.

Veterans Elementary School - Ellicott City, Maryland - MD - School overview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland