Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,611 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My boyfriend is being stationed in Fort Meade, MD and has asked me to join him. I live in sunny California and am nervous about all of it. I want to know if there are any good but inexpensive places to live and if there are jobs there. I am an administrative assistant and have alot of experience in customer service. I am scared that with this recession the wonderful job that I have here, will not be found over there....I won't find a job to help my boyfriend out.
Please, please, please help me. Are there nearby cities that have job opportunities?
Anything that you can answer is a huge help!
Thank you for your time in reading this and hope to get replies.

Respectfully,
me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:14 AM

7 posts, read 25,183 times
Dear Carolina,

The area right next to Fort Meade / Odenton is a little spotty, although you can read in the archives on this forum for where the best "pockets" are. Just type in "Fort Meade" and then "Odenton" into the search option, and you'll see all the old threads. If you already have children, you will probably want to look elsewhere for schools; if not, you can probably get away with living quite close to the base (or on the base? depends on your housing situation).

If schools are not a concern, and if your boyfriend has a car / does not mind a longish commute on train and shuttle, I would personally consider living in Baltimore proper - Charles Village perhaps, or Fells Point by the water. The rents will not be dramatically different (if anything, you can do a little better in the city), but the quality of your evenings will be superior.

As for job availability, I am not the best person to help, but you can start looking and only move if you get a couple of "nibbles" - maybe not a full job offer, but at least a couple of phone interviews to help you get a sense of the job market. Unless you are expecting your company to pay for your relocation, I would consider getting a local Baltimore cell phone number and listing your boyfriend's address in the process. Generally speaking, the area is not depressed, so it seems to me you should be able to find a position.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:06 PM

8 posts, read 34,701 times
It is unlikely that you will find a job in the Ft. Meade area. However, the surrounding area includes Baltimore, Washington DC, and Annapolis. When I moved to the Ft. Meade area, I communted to DC every day via the MARC train, which was not fun. My next job was in Annapolis, which required a 20-30 min drive. I am currently commuting to downtown Baltimore, which also takes a 20 min drive. So, I would suggest looking into jobs in both Baltimore and Annapolis. Annapolis is a nice little sailing/harbor town, which I really enjoyed. Check it out! : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland