Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 11,106 times

Advertisements

Some basic info first: I'm a single 23 year old white male, relocating from New Hampshire to Maryland for work. I'm going to be working near Martin State Airport just outside of Baltimore, but not until September 2009, so I have plenty of time.

I've been looking at places to live- I'm leaning towards the White Marsh area, but I'll admit I'm torn between experiencing city living versus the suburb. My price range is anywhere up to $900.00/month. In White Marsh I've been looking at Ridgeview Apartments, while in the city I've been looking at places in the Mount Vernon area (Stafford Apartments is one place). Can anyone offer any advice on a place to live in either of these areas, or these properties in particular?

I'm also curious about the area in general, I'm going to visit again before I actually move, but can anyone tell me if the Rosedale/White Marsh area is a good area compared to Baltimore City? How about places to live in the Federal Hill/Mount Vernon/Canton areas?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,349 times
Generally, there is less crime in the suburbs of Baltimore, including Rosedale/White Marsh, than within the city itself. However, as a young person you may find Rosedale/White Marsh to be pretty boring. I live in the Middle River area, very close to where you are looking, and I'm very comfortable here. But my daughter, who is now 29, can't imagine moving back here after living in Canton for the last few years. I can't say I blame her; she is walking distance to tons of restaurants and bars, in a very trendy area, lots of night-life, etc. But it comes at a price. Parking is difficult, especially at night, and housing can be expensive. It may be difficult to find something in your price range. The same holds true for Mount Vernon and Federal Hill. But if I were 20 something, I'd opt for the city. Not a place to raise kids, but great for singles.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 AM

234 posts, read 295,771 times
Default i

i live near martin airport and its fine.. blue collar worker neighborhood. i also was raised in balto. city for 45 years.. i loved it until it changed.. i would never go back until our local politicians cleaned it up.. baltimore is the 2nd worst city in the u.s. stay away from it.. i know lots of young people like the city life but don't go there.. also $900 month is unlikely you'll find anything in mt. vernon.. maybe do a house share or rent a studio.. gl

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectjnd View Post
Some basic info first: I'm a single 23 year old white male, relocating from New Hampshire to Maryland for work. I'm going to be working near Martin State Airport just outside of Baltimore, but not until September 2009, so I have plenty of time.

I've been looking at places to live- I'm leaning towards the White Marsh area, but I'll admit I'm torn between experiencing city living versus the suburb. My price range is anywhere up to $900.00/month. In White Marsh I've been looking at Ridgeview Apartments, while in the city I've been looking at places in the Mount Vernon area (Stafford Apartments is one place). Can anyone offer any advice on a place to live in either of these areas, or these properties in particular?

I'm also curious about the area in general, I'm going to visit again before I actually move, but can anyone tell me if the Rosedale/White Marsh area is a good area compared to Baltimore City? How about places to live in the Federal Hill/Mount Vernon/Canton areas?

Appreciate any help anyone can offer, thanks!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 AM

134 posts, read 332,047 times
I would stick to the White Marsh, Perry Hall, Parkville area if I were you.
One minor reason is that there has been a recent spate of crimes in the Mt.Vernon area.
But mainly because in White Marsh you have so much more available to you - I95 is right there and you can be in downtown Baltimore in 20 min.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,007 times
Can you visit before you move? White Marsh is quite suburbanish, but you should check it out and see if you might like it. I personally would recommend sharing a townhouse with someone in Canton since you're young and are considering experiencing city life. You can get a decent space with that rent budget if you share a house with a roommate or two, and you'd be in a lively neighborhood, and have a short reverse commute to work.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM

434 posts, read 1,117,823 times
Many young people in Baltimore and Washington, D.C. live in group homes. It's a nice way to meet people and you'll be able to live in a much nicer place than if you live alone. Especially good for young people relocating to the area.

Some group homes are people who come together to live in community. This means that they take turns making dinner, eat together a couple times per week and generally agree to a set of house rules. Other houses are just hodge-podge of people who have few, if any, rules (think Real World). Ask those sorts of questions and also ask number of bedrooms, bathrooms, number of people living there and if there are any significant others who stay over frequently. A 4 bedroom, 2 bath house sounds great if only 4 people are living there, but is 3 of them have an SO who is also showering there in the morning it can get pretty crowded.

Craig's List will have lots of group house listings.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 11,106 times
Thanks for all of the help, I did find a few places in Mount Vernon in my price range, but they are a lot smaller than what I could get for a similar price in the burbs. I think I'm going to stick to the Middle River/White Marsh area.

I'm also military, given the amount that I travel I would rather not have roomates until I live there for a while and gain some trustworthy friends.

Can anyone tell me what Rosedale is like? Some of the complexes I've found are near there, but I haven't found much information on here.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 AM

134 posts, read 332,047 times
Truthfully, Rosedale is ok, but it is one area that is changing...and not for the better.
I'd stay a bit further north.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacrets View Post
Truthfully, Rosedale is ok, but it is one area that is changing...and not for the better.
I'd stay a bit further north.
Or east. Nottingham and White Marsh are nice. I assume that Rossville Blvd is sort of the unofficial boundary between Rosedale and Nottingham. I think if you stay outside the beltway (Rt 695) you'll be better off regardless of which direction you choose.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM

16 posts, read 52,117 times
Just bumping this up to see if anyone has any current info on this area. I'm coming from joppa looking to buy. my price range its very low. I've found some in my range in edgewood but it seems to just get worse and worse crime wise and joppatowne high has the worst drop our rate in harford county.I'm just wondering if anyone can compare rosedale and middle river?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland