U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Jefferson County
380 posts, read 1,031,588 times
Reputation: 103

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Funny how it never works out that way. And even if that's how it goes, then why would you need a permit to carry? Potential Wrongdoers wouldn't be able to have access to one, or do you just need a reason to feel entitled?

Apparently you beleive that laws stop criminals from comitting crime. No matter how many or what laws there are only people who are willing to abide by them will. It would be nice but there is currently no hope of ridding the world of weapons; look at England, they've worked hard to ban all types of handguns, now criminals are killing people with steak knives. The type of weapon is not the issue, it's the criminal.
Oh, and it's not a special entitlement for some.. read The Constitution and the recent SCOTUS ruling on Heller. It's very simple plain language. Of all the supposed inherent rights being claimed now, internet, cell phone, health care, etc., defence against personal bodily harm from violent crime is a basic true individual right that everyone is entitled to. I don't plan on and don't want to be in a car accident, but I still have insurance. I hope my tire doesn't go flat, but I still carry a spare. I don't like being bitten by mosquitos so I wear bug repellant and if one lands on me and starts to bite, I kill it.

But this was not the main focus of this thread, so here are some more uber-restrictive MD laws and such:

Child safety seat effective June 30, 2008. Requires that all children younger than eight years of age be secured in a federally approved child safety seat* according to the safety seat and vehicle manufacturers' instructions, unless the child is 4 feet, 9 inches or taller, or weighs more than 65 pounds. The child restraint must be right for the child's size, age, and weight.

4'9, 65lbs--8 years old???? What kind of seat is designed for a 64# 7 year old that is 4'8" and how do you enforce such a law. I know adults that are this size. Don't get me wrong, I'm in support of requiring parents to protect children by using seat belts & car seats, I just wonder where it stops.

Statewide ban on indoor smoking in places open to the public.
I don't smoke and don't like having smoke blown in my face, but it's just giving the gov't another toe in the door of your private property.

Maryland Clean Cars Act adopted in 2007 requires that all cars and trucks sold after 2010 meet California emissions standards;and adds an estimated $1,000 to $3,000 per vehicle. Even vehicles purchased outside Maryland must conform, and subjects Maryland to future emissions standards that California enacts.

Isn't California constantly running out of electricty and money? Why would anybody want to copy them? (Did CA banned the sale of incandescent lights & the use of plastic shopping bags? I'll feel better if we can get a Fed law on those too.)

HB 315/SB 278: GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS REDUCTION ACT (GGERA) 2009
This session Maryland passed the 2009 GGERA, which requires the state to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions 25% below 2006 levels by 2020. The state must now develop and implement a plan to discuss the state's long term strategies by 2012. The bill also discusses the creation of green jobs and the importance of reducing global warming.

How much will this cost each taxpayer? Escpecially now that the CO2 that we all exhale is an EPA regulated gas.

And, I thought I had one new return of personal freedom bill out of the latest MD session to report on, but alas, it received an unfavorable report from 'Environmental Matters' committee and has died. I guess you better check your county & HOA ords before hanging your clothes out to dry or you may become a lawbreaker without knowing it.


HB 197
TITLE: Real Property - Installation and Use of Clotheslines on Residential Property Real Property - Prohibiting a local legislative body from prohibiting the installation or use of clotheslines on specified residential property; providing that a contract, deed, rule, bylaw, lease agreement, or other document may not prohibit a homeowner or tenant from installing or using clotheslines on specified residential property; providing that the Act does not prohibit reasonable restrictions, for specified purposes, on the dimensions, placement, or appearance of clotheslines; etc.

PS,

And I know it's not just MD it's everywhere, even here in WV (but maybe that's just the influx of people from MD )
Berkeley County WV has been in the process of building county wide sewer treatment facilities and requiring all residents within certain proximities to crush their functioning septic tanks, connect and pay a monthly fee. Jefferson County citizens put a proposed zoning ordinance on hold that would have regulated things like, clotheslines, fences, shrubbery, heat/AC in your workshop or shed, yardsales, parking your worktruck at your house, selling your camper in your yard, number of horses per acre, and on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
 
12,583 posts, read 18,205,338 times
Reputation: 6533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Those "mad chimps" would be disqualified from carrying under a shall-issue CCW system.
Yea I am sure it would work splendidly.

Young men in their 20s, full of beer and machismo, are not the kind of people who should be carrying guns.

Keep and arsenal in your home and avoid the hood after dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
 
542 posts, read 1,332,048 times
Reputation: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
Apparently you beleive that laws stop criminals from comitting crime.
And apparently you're one of those people who like to jump to conclusions and getting your point across by putting words in my mouth, and who complain because "uber/liberal/Socialist/nanny-state" Maryland so heavily-restricts their "freedom" from taking the law into their own hands to pick off whomever they deem as a "threat".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Jefferson County
380 posts, read 1,031,588 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
And apparently you're one of those people who like to jump to conclusions and getting your point across by putting words in my mouth, and who complain because "uber/liberal/Socialist/nanny-state" Maryland so heavily-restricts their "freedom" from taking the law into their own hands to pick off whomever they deem as a "threat".
I'm sorry if I've mis-read or mis-interpreted your posts.

My freedom is not in quotes.

Being able to protect yourself is not "taking the law into your own hands."

I don't typically complain about MD restricting my freedom, because I avoid MD as much as possible. I thank my parents for moving out of Mt. Airy some 36 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 PM
 
1,763 posts, read 5,499,586 times
Reputation: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
HB 315/SB 278: GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS REDUCTION ACT (GGERA) 2009
This session Maryland passed the 2009 GGERA, which requires the state to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions 25% below 2006 levels by 2020. The state must now develop and implement a plan to discuss the state's long term strategies by 2012. The bill also discusses the creation of green jobs and the importance of reducing global warming.

How much will this cost each taxpayer? Escpecially now that the CO2 that we all exhale is an EPA regulated gas.
Clint, when you start belching as much CO2 as a coal-fired plant, we'll regulate your exhalations as well...

Btw, those numbers I posted earlier were strictly for firearm deaths, not overall safety. It was pretty clear that the lowest rates of firearm deaths were in states that were more likely to regulate them. Now, I will partially buy into the argument that firearms have some deterrent effect on other crimes, per your post. But it's just as likely that they often result in violence when otherwise there might have been none - esp. when alcohol is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Between Frederick and Westminster
196 posts, read 734,643 times
Reputation: 63
To legally carry a weapon in Md, you need to go through a background check, get fingerprinted, show cause (fear of your life doesn't count, btw) and have an interview with a SP detective. The sort of people willing to jump through those hoops also know the laws governing carrying and/or using a firearm. It is illegal to partake of alcohol or be in a bar while carrying. "20somethings that are full of booze and machismo" might be carrying a gun, but they're doing it illegally. People legally carrying concealed weapons are not the cause of gun violence. In Baltimore (where the vast majority of gun violence occurs) it's nearly impossible to get a carry permit if you're a resident. Oddly enough, there's hardly a day goes by without a shooting. Last night a 5 year old girl was shot after a street fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Bodymore, Murderland
568 posts, read 1,237,417 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutgarden View Post
To legally carry a weapon in Md, you need to go through a background check, get fingerprinted, show cause (fear of your life doesn't count, btw) and have an interview with a SP detective. The sort of people willing to jump through those hoops also know the laws governing carrying and/or using a firearm. It is illegal to partake of alcohol or be in a bar while carrying. "20somethings that are full of booze and machismo" might be carrying a gun, but they're doing it illegally. People legally carrying concealed weapons are not the cause of gun violence. In Baltimore (where the vast majority of gun violence occurs) it's nearly impossible to get a carry permit if you're a resident. Oddly enough, there's hardly a day goes by without a shooting. Last night a 5 year old girl was shot after a street fight.
I was going to respond but you beat me to it. It's obvious that these irrational hoplophobes aren't basing their opinions on anything but emotional knee-jerk fear of weapons and not facts. There's no use arguing with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 AM
 
8,821 posts, read 12,626,958 times
Reputation: 21085
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
But this was not the main focus of this thread, so here are some more uber-restrictive MD laws and such:

Child safety seat effective June 30, 2008. Requires that all children younger than eight years of age be secured in a federally approved child safety seat* according to the safety seat and vehicle manufacturers' instructions, unless the child is 4 feet, 9 inches or taller, or weighs more than 65 pounds. The child restraint must be right for the child's size, age, and weight.

4'9, 65lbs--8 years old???? What kind of seat is designed for a 64# 7 year old that is 4'8" and how do you enforce such a law. I know adults that are this size. Don't get me wrong, I'm in support of requiring parents to protect children by using seat belts & car seats, I just wonder where it stops.
You say that you're in favor of requiring parents to protect children by using car seats, but you don't like the MD law. Okay, how would you fix it?

MD law states that all children 7 & younger must be in car seats, but allows exemptions to this if the child is very tall for his/her age (4'9" +) OR is larger than a typical 7 yr old (65 pounds +). You think there is something wrong with this. What do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 AM
 
28 posts, read 57,728 times
Reputation: 46
WAKE UP!! Liberal politics is KILLING AMERICA. What has happened in (what used to be) our country during the past 6 months is unprecedented in a free society...........21 czars, 12 trillion in debt, government ownership of the banking and auto industries, another stimulus on the horizon, a super majority illegaly grabbed by discounting absentee votes, a one party system that threatens our very existence, global warming hoax to make the ultra liberal rich (Appr 100 million to gore just last year....)EPA reports being buried and noone asks why..acorn assuring liberal rulers for GENERATIONS to come!!!...and now the supreme court is about to lose more credibility by seating the imo unqualified sotomayor........HELLO !....is anyone home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
 
14 posts, read 53,241 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
I live on the Eastern Shore and love the ruralness and conservative politics that are here on the shore...but only to be controlled by a SOCIALIST state govt. Maryland is getting worse then cali and mass. when it comes to liberal politics.
LOL!!! You are why I can laugh everyday. You are so misguided its pathetic. You do relize that there are over 4 thousand stores in California that sell marijuanna legally, right?

Stay over on the shore and live in your fake 1950's bubble, and continue to watch FoxNews. Socialist is the new buzzword for retarded republicians, trying to make a point about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top