U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 PM

31 posts, read 100,175 times

Advertisements

Tell me about what you guys are taxed on and how..doing my research before moving there from NC. We are taxed out the ying-yang for a little of everything. The south isn't as bad as the North but we have a lot of crazy taxes..educate me on this please . I know that you have annual taxes on your homes for property taxes but what else falls under property taxes? We have to pay annual taxes on boats,cars,rv's,commercial vehicles and i can go on and on...every year we get a per item bill, example I have 3 cars each car has a different tax value by the year make and model of the car and if it is not paid they will put a block on your license, tow your car and auction it off for the taxes plus interest after it is a few months delinquent and it doesn't matter if the car is yours or the banks..it is good as sold and then we have all this school bond and tobacco crap that no one is really applying the funds to the correct areas and then we just had a tax hike bc we are building more jails and precincts it seems as though they are going up like a Wal Mart here in Charlotte,,so give me the info I am ready..I am really wanting to be prepared for my move and have a little understanding of the system there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 AM

8,819 posts, read 12,625,227 times
Maryland does not have a personal property tax so you don't have to worry about any of that.

The income tax rate is roughly 8% and is a combination of state and a "piggybacked" county tax rate. IOW, only one form is filled out, but you compute both sets of taxes and combine them. For example, the state tax rate is 4.75% (for taxable income up to $150k) and Montgomery County is 3.2%.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:23 AM

512 posts, read 1,474,876 times
Hmmmm..... While North Carolina can nickel and dime you sometimes, wait till you move up here. Just realize that the expense of living is much higher in MD. Sales tax is 6% which is lower than N.C. however the cost of housing and property taxes might throw you off, depending on the county and area. To check property taxes on houses in various areas go to zipreality.com and weichert.com. They will give you a good estimate on the property tax for the house your interested in.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:50 AM

234 posts, read 265,056 times
all across the country we are being taxed unfairly because of the millions of illegals in this country who milk the taxpayers out of $$billions every year.. its hush hush but each state has their public figures/stats.. check it out.. they need to make the money back by high fines, fees and taxes.. not fair.. need to form groups and fight your politicians.. they take numerous trips on our tax dollars and nobody sees or hear about this.. illegals are having anchor babies for welfare and using phony id's to get many checks a month illegally.. its happening.. wake up and speak..

Old 07-05-2009, 03:28 PM

83 posts, read 304,444 times
I wouldn't be in any hurry to move to Maryland. I suspect you'll be in for a shock as far as housing costs go. A cheap new house will cost you $300,000. Also, the politicans are as bad as a flag of honor says they are. They can't spend enough of YOUR money. Maryland is I believe looking at a $2 or $3 billion budget deficit this year.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkester View Post
I wouldn't be in any hurry to move to Maryland. I suspect you'll be in for a shock as far as housing costs go. A cheap new house will cost you $300,000. Also, the politicans are as bad as a flag of honor says they are. They can't spend enough of YOUR money. Maryland is I believe looking at a $2 or $3 billion budget deficit this year.
Most, but not all, of Maryland is expensive as hell, but I disagree with you about the politics. Maryland has a relatively small/average deficit per capita compared to most states with a large economy (New York, California, Massachusetts etc., not Nebraska, Arkansas, or South Dakota). I think Virginia's (a state which would be the last to be accused of financially raping its residents) budget gap had recently overtaken Maryland's for fiscal 2009.

See: Where does your state rank? - CNNMoney.com

Old 07-05-2009, 07:17 PM

829 posts, read 2,674,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a flag of honor View Post
all across the country we are being taxed unfairly because of the millions of illegals in this country who milk the taxpayers out of $$billions every year.. its hush hush but each state has their public figures/stats.. check it out.. they need to make the money back by high fines, fees and taxes.. not fair.. need to form groups and fight your politicians.. they take numerous trips on our tax dollars and nobody sees or hear about this.. illegals are having anchor babies for welfare and using phony id's to get many checks a month illegally.. its happening.. wake up and speak..

Amen...

Maryland is getting more liberal then Mass.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 PM

512 posts, read 1,474,876 times
Well I wouldn't exactly blame it on illegal immigrants. What is that the common theme in america. My taxes are high, well it's cause of illegal immigrants. My car insurance is too high, well blame it on the illegal immigrants. I'm stuck in a dead end job well who else could you blame, but the illegals. Finally who started the war in Iraq and made my gas prices high, that's right your favorite illegal immigrants.

I really don't have an answer why taxes are high and MD is in a deficit. However I think things have definitely gotten out of hand. It won't be long before this native picks up and moves to somewhere more reasonable. Sad but true.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:19 PM

919 posts, read 2,346,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
I really don't have an answer why taxes are high and MD is in a deficit. However I think things have definitely gotten out of hand. It won't be long before this native picks up and moves to somewhere more reasonable. Sad but true.
I feel the same way, I grew up in MD and spent 21 year of my life there... I absolutely loved where I lived in Southern MD but I moved out at 18 and found it near impossible to get by... MD is for rich people and people who want to live off of the rich people...

I moved to Jacksonville, FL two months ago and love it down here... I can finally live comfortably and feel like I am getting my moneys worth out of a place to live...

I would love to move back to MD sometime but the cost of living is just outrageous...

Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
The only 3 states without budget deficits for FY09:
-Oregon
-Montana
-North Dakota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland