U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 AM

49 posts, read 205,143 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Belleville NJ. Are you from NJ? I have an app. for Avalon Fairway Hills this Saturday. I told them I wanted an apt. near 108 like you said. I will def. let you know the apt # they tell me. This way you can let me know if it's good or not. Are there certain numbers I should watch out for. Good and bad apt #'s. I really hope this works because then I wouldn't have to change my son's school. I loved Avalon Columbia but I could only afford a 1 bedroom and would have to change my son's school
I guess I never realized how expensive child care can be since I always had family helping me out. But boy is it different here. I will def. try the website you gave me. It is a great help. Your babysitter wouldn't be able to recommend someone would she? I know that is a lot to ask but I am trying to find someone who I can trust. There are soo many weird people out there.
How old are your kids if you don't mind me asking.
I'm hoping I will meet some really nice family oriented people where we can share exspenses. That would be wonderful. It would also help in myself meeting new people and my son interacting with other kids too. Being new to an area is really hard when you have kids.

Last edited by nj08; 10-06-2009 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM

332 posts, read 1,162,703 times
Yes, I grew up in central part of NJ but I also lived in West New York, NJ and tried to buy a house in West Orange but the deal did not work out.

FYI, I did not like management at Fairway Hills but finding a safe place was more important that management. Although, on apartmentratings.com they say that Avalon Fairway Hills sticks it to you on the way out. If you do decide to move in then video tape your apartment and write down everything that is damaged/scratched on the way in.

Nicer / more renovated apartments - Avalon Apartments - I think pricing follows the same way - Most expensive to least expensive.
-Avalon Fairway Hills - The Woods
-Avalon Fairway Hills - The Meadows
-Avalon Fairway HIlls - The Fields

Closer to 108/route 29 - There are townhome communities between these
-The Bluffs - I believe it is a rental community as well.
-Avalon Fairway HIlls - The Fields
-Island Club
-Avalon Fairway Hills - The Meadows
-Avalon Fairway Hills - The Woods

In general you want to be closer to 108/29 because of road access and it is further from the 7-11 area but you do not need to be ontop of 108. I do not think that you will have any issues with any particular apartment they all seem similiar and I have had a problem with parking either. It is not assigned parking. On the 1st floor you will get bugs, ants and crickets, if you spray you should not have to big of an issue just annoying. You will also her an annoying squeak from foot traffic on the upper floors. You will have to weigh noise and bugs vs. not having to carry groceries and other items up stairs.

My kids are preschoolers so they go to daycare. If you decide to rent from here, then come out early one morning with your child when the kids are catching the bus and talk to the parents, ask them what they do with their children after school, if they know babysitters, etc. and it will give your kid a chance to meet some of the local kids as well.

Good Luck.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM

385 posts, read 1,761,693 times
I've lived at Avalon at Fairway Hills and the apartment I had was very nice. We were on the third floor facing the golf course. I don't know if other apartments are as nice in the same community, but they would be my first choice because of the safety and amenites (they have a 24 hour gym, pools, tennis courts, a raquetball court and a tanning bed).

As for Avalon "sticking it to you," I did not experience that. We made sure the walls stayed white and we rented a rug shampooer to clean the carpets (we had a sick cat that had a puking problem at the time) and we got our security deposit plus interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
We are looking for a 3 bedroom apartment in Columbia that offers short term leases. We are pretty much going to have to sign the lease sight unseen because we need to move immediately and we will not have a chance to look at apartments prior to moving there. We may be able to stay in a hotel for a few days but it is not ideal with kids. I'm concerned because a lot of the post on apartment review websites are very negative about Columbia apartments (Rats, roaches, burglary, muggings, rape and murder). I do not know if these people are exaggerating or if I should be afraid.

The apartments that seemed to have some availability is Avalon Fairway Hills, The Berkshires, Columbia Town Center, and Columbia Commons. I still have a few more apartments. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:22 PM

259 posts, read 969,756 times
Don't know where you are moving from but I have seen a lot of comments that with rare exceptions customer service in this area (and I feel in DC as well) is worse than in many other parts of the country. I can't tell you how many apt. complexes I've lived in the greater DC/Balt. area in which the management was indifferent at best or sometimes outright hostile. That may not help you much except to perhaps look for the "least bad" in your target area.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:26 PM

7th Direction, you were probably in a remodeled apartment. I have lived in many different states and the management and apartment is probably one of the worst as far as aestetics. The non remodeled apartments are fairly clean but not up to my standard but at the time I had special needs and could not be that picky so we chose Avalon at Fairway Hill. We have the old white cabinets with wood grain stripe at the top, I assume this was early 80s. The cabinets are warped, I have no microwave, very small closed off kitchen. Everything is clean just old. They take pretty good care of the outside of the apartments.

I do not know if they will charge on the exit but they even say in their lease that they may charge you for things that are considered customary at every placed that I lived. If you have marks on your walls that do not require repair just painting you should not charge for that, it is customary maintenance when someone lives there. They are going to paint the apartment in between tenants. Normal carpet stains should be included, they should only get you for things that you brake or if you did not clean when you leave.

I have never been charged when leaving a complex and have always gotten my full security back, but a lot of people have complained about Avalon keeping their deposits. Of course, I do not know if it is true or if they are just complainers.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM

107 posts, read 526,987 times
This is a good thread! Well for me I've finally made the decision to move to Columbia and am looking for an apartment close to I-95, safe, and reasonably priced. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 12-02-2010, 06:16 AM

14 posts, read 44,563 times
I know it's been a while since this thread has been updated but I wanted to update everyone with our final conclusions. We ended up at Kendall Ridge and had a nightmare experience. The sales staff and the front office were all wonderful but the apartment itself was terrible. We drove 24 hours (with kids) to the apartment to find it dirty and with numerous problems (two pages worth of items). The AC had no filter and looked like the previous owner had smoked into it. And it didn't even work. The water heater didn't work. The dryer wasn't even connected to the exhaust vent. There was a three-inch gap between the dish washer and the cabinets, which exposed all the insulation to my 13 month old's curious fingers. There was peeling vinyl tile in the master bathroom, bugs in the tub of the second bath...oh, I could go on and on.

At around two in the morning, after my wife had numerous breakdowns, we decided to call The Elms, on a prayer that they would still have something available. They did and at 10 am we went over there, looked at a ground-floor unit, liked what we saw and signed another lease. We then went back to Kendall Ridge and told them we will not be staying there. Since my wife had not signed the lease (we got there after their office closed and they were nice enough to leave the keys and let us stay the night), they apologized profusely and let us out of our contract free and clear. We even got our deposit back.

They said they had never seen an apartment in that condition before and were shocked at the list we provided them. Apparently, they had just hired a new maintenance manager. I hope they fired him because he's terrible. I called their "24 hour" emergency maintenance number since our AC and water heater were not working and the manager told me he lived more than two hours away. Can you believe that?

Anyway, the Elms is much better, albeit more expensive. We have mostly nice neighbors (except the idiots upstairs who insist on vacuuming at three in the morning) and they are very responsive to maintenance requests. We only have a few more months before we move into our house, but I would still recommend The Elms to anyone looking for a clean, new, and well-maintained apartment.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:43 PM

How long of a lease did you have to sign at the Elms?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 AM

14 posts, read 44,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
How long of a lease did you have to sign at the Elms?
Just 12 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland