U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 AM

47 posts, read 155,644 times

Advertisements

Well, we finally moved to Severna Park and our car was stolen on the second night. I don't get why. We had an old Dodge Grand Caravan (10yrs old). There are more expensive and nicer cars in the neighborhood.

The neighbors are shocked. It left me and the family feeling rattled. We thought we were moving to a nice, safe area.

In NJ, we left the car unlocked and even open (by accident) on many occasions. One time, my husband actually left the keys in the lock. Nothing like this ever happened.

I know this can happen anywhere USA. But, I am still feeling shocked that it happened to us and our old beat up, but dear car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 AM

238 posts, read 656,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmandl View Post
Well, we finally moved to Severna Park and our car was stolen on the second night. I don't get why. We had an old Dodge Grand Caravan (10yrs old). There are more expensive and nicer cars in the neighborhood.

The neighbors are shocked. It left me and the family feeling rattled. We thought we were moving to a nice, safe area.

In NJ, we left the car unlocked and even open (by accident) on many occasions. One time, my husband actually left the keys in the lock. Nothing like this ever happened.

I know this can happen anywhere USA. But, I am still feeling shocked that it happened to us and our old beat up, but dear car.
I am sorry this happened to you. No matter what, being a victim of crime makes you feel vulnerable and shaken, especially when you are new to the area.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:07 PM

331 posts, read 1,097,222 times
Quote:

I am sooo sorry that this happened to you and especially on your second night. This has happened to me twice in my lifetime and I know how you're feeling. One thing I can tell you is that your vehicle was probably stolen for the parts. My van was stolen on Christmas Eve one year. When it was found a month later, it was stripped down to nothing..........seats, steering wheel, glove compartment, gone!!

Since then I have been overly paranoid and never park anywhere without locking all doors and locking my wheel with the anti-theft device.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:01 PM

919 posts, read 2,345,841 times
I tell this to a lot of people that want to live near the city. Even if your area seems nice and safe that only means so much when the rough areas are right down the street... Whoever stole your car I'm sure doesn't live there...

Older cars like that are stolen because the parts are easier to move without suspicion... For instance there would be a lot more demand for a fender for a dodge caravan or a honda civic than a BMW... Not to mention the older cars are much easier to steal... A 92-00 civic with no alarm can be done in less than 5 minutes without making a sound...

I own one of the most stolen cars in the country (honda civic Si)... My car was stolen in broad daylight from Arundel Mills mall... You might want to invest in a two-way pager alarm for all of your vehicles for peace of mind... They aren't that expensive and chances are a thief will just move onto something else...

Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 AM

24,651 posts, read 35,067,204 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear that. In the crime stats for Alexandria every week i often see older cars stolen more than newer cars. I always engage my anti-theft device (steering wheel/brake club) wherever i go. My car is full of dents and scratches so it cant look that desirable. I also own a car that is popular with theives (98-02 honda accord.)

I may sound crazy but i would rather them steal my whole car rather than what is going on here on the West side of Alexandria and my building. Parts like bumpers, hoods, and doors are being stolen right off the cars while the rest of the car is left barren. What is really scary is that this is occuring in "secured and gated" parking garages of apt buildings. There is even a petition circulating in my building right now to get cameras put in the garage. I didnt even know there werent any in the garage to begin with!!!!

With the recession i think it will get much worse before it gets better.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,750 times
Whoa. May I ask which neighborhood? I moved here under a year ago and am still feeling my way around.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 AM

47 posts, read 155,644 times
Default car stolen in Severna Park

Manhattan Beach.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,750 times
I'm in MB too, hey neighbor!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,986,298 times
Dodge Caravan - easy to jimmy open, can fit the entire posse of kids for a joy ride. Also used for stealing motorcycles

Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,492,067 times
There has been an uptick in property crime all over, to my knowledge. In many cases it seems it's not reported. Sorry this happened, but I hope you made a police report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland