Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 02:03 PM

51 posts, read 385,279 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

We ill be moving to Ellicott City in August and I was wondering if anybody can give me recommendations for some good preschools/daycare centers. My son is 3.5 yrs old.

Thanks in advance,

Anu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 PM

12 posts, read 104,160 times
I know of several. Love of Learning Montessori School, Mt. Hebron (usually has a wait list). Celebree in Waverly area (four year old teacher is exceptional). There are several others in the Columbia area as well. You might try calling the local PTA's for some guidance. Also check Baltimore's Child, a local kids and family related newspaper available at most grocery stores, etc. Schools fill up fast in this area, don't wait to long.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks so much I appreciate your help.

Anu.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:45 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
My children have both attended Love of Learning Montessori school which is on Red Branch Road off of 108...technically it's in Columbia but it's a quick zip to Ellicot City from there. Their website is: http://www.lolms.com/ My youngest is in his last year this year...soooo sad for me.

The owner/director is Awilda Torres she's fabulous and she's my neighbor which I didn't find out until after my child was enrolled...lol

Anyway they are placing for next year now so if you want to tour the school you should call soon. My kids are 5 1/2 years apart in age and I told Awilda when I went in to sign my youngest up that if he wasn't going to be with me then he had to be with her, because they are that good! I promise you that your child will be safe, happy and well cared for beyond your expectations! On top of that he will learn, not just how to color but how to read, write do math...and all at his own speed in true Montessori fashion. Can you tell I love this school? Anyway I have not only sent my children there but I have worked there for short periods of time as the substitue nurse (their nurse last year was out with a medical problem and I filled in) they are the only school of their kind that employs a full time RN for the kids...another benefit.

My kids both had Miss Joan and Miss Darlene, Miss Joan is retired from the class this year and Miss Sue is the new lead teacher...also wonderful. Miss Darlene is still there and will lead her own class next year, as she finished her montessori training last year and apprenticed this year. All the teachers are 4yeared degreed and also Montessori certified (which takes another two years or so to complete I think).

So call and take a look, because once you see it you won't want your children to go anywhere else. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 AM

Irishmom:

Thanks a bunch for this info. My daughter did go to a montessori school for 3 yrs and we loved it. The only reason I am not considering sending my son to montessori is because we are planning to buy a house and we will not be able to afford it. Also I heard the tuition rates keep on increasing every year. What is your opinion?

Thanks

Anu.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:45 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anu123 View Post
Irishmom:

Thanks a bunch for this info. My daughter did go to a montessori school for 3 yrs and we loved it. The only reason I am not considering sending my son to montessori is because we are planning to buy a house and we will not be able to afford it. Also I heard the tuition rates keep on increasing every year. What is your opinion?

Thanks

Anu.
Well it is expensive but when I compared the cost of this particular Montessori to the cost of the less expensive daycare/preschools (Kindercare, Goddard. Celebree) it was only $125 more a month and soooo much better that I thought it was justified. Now if you aren't sending them for daycare (meaning you don't need full time for working) then I guess a part time program in a day care/preschool would be cheaper and may fit your needs better. But if you are looking at full time I would still check it out because it doesn't cost much more in comparison and the quality is outstanding.

Good luck finding a place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland