U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:17 PM

47 posts, read 155,179 times

Advertisements

We went to Chesapeake Beach last weekend and were very disappointed. It was muddy and shallow and crowded. I guess we can check this one off the list because we will not be coming back there.
This leaves OC and De beaches.

Thanks for all the input and tips. I am a little disappointed that the beaches are so far away from us, but we love everything else around here (so far).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,087,470 times
You should take a trip to the Eastern Shore and just check out St.Michael's and Oxford as well as Easton. Oxford has a very small little beach,it isn't much,but I use to love to take my children there just to walk and look for shells. There is a really nice,shaded park area also to sit and have a picnic or just watch the boats on the water.
St.Michael's is more touristy with lots of little shops,restaurants... you can walk in the harbor area but really no beach to visit there.

Easton has a great downtown area with some nice shopping and great restaurants!
The entire "mid-shore" area of the Eastern Shore is beautiful!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:30 AM

789 posts, read 2,324,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmandl View Post
We went to Chesapeake Beach last weekend and were very disappointed. It was muddy and shallow and crowded. I guess we can check this one off the list because we will not be coming back there.
This leaves OC and De beaches.

Thanks for all the input and tips. I am a little disappointed that the beaches are so far away from us, but we love everything else around here (so far).

OC and DE beaches water is not like South Florida waters or the Caribbean, some what clear, warm etc.. If that's what you're looking for, the closest thing will be Myrtle Beach, where I'll be one week from today.

In DE, check out Lewes or Gordons Pond, they're less crowded, nice waves but the water is still a bit murky.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 AM

789 posts, read 2,324,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Personally I've found Cape Henlopen State Park to be the nicest beach in this area, and also the easiest beach to get to. Because it's a park, much like the bay beaches, it's un-commercialized.

Dewey is a frat-boy town with lots of bars. Not sure what to compare it to in Jersey, maybe Seaside Heights? Lewes is a quaint town known more for antiquing than the beach (there is no town beach there, only Cape Henlopen Park). I guess it would be somewhat comparable to Cape May in Jersey.
+1000

Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,608 times
If you haven't heard by now, here's the low down. Southern Md. is a great (close for you) place to visit. I lived in Baltimore 30 years and never heard of Matoaka Beach cabins. Moved to Allentown, Pa. & new wife liked camping and fossil hunting. We discovered Matoaka and the rest is history. It is a dream come true. We're preparing to visit for the last week in August. If I were as close as you we'd be there every weekend. Try it, you'll love it.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 AM

7,936 posts, read 14,161,095 times
Go to OCMD. The Maryland beaches put the Jersey shore to shame. You get the best of both worlds around OC....the boardwalk etc in Ocean City along with nice clean beaches, and if you want nice quiet scenic beaches, Assateague is minutes away.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:27 PM

47 posts, read 155,179 times
Default Maryland beaches

Thanks again for so many good suggestions.
We are not picky about the color of ocean water. However, the color of the bay just seemed too murky (?).

We still miss being about an hour drive to the NJ shore. We found a little place that was quite and relatively clean and not too expensive. We are still hoping to find that here too. Hopefully not too far from SP.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or