U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 PM

49 posts, read 205,551 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am in deperate need of everyone's help. I am relocating to Maryland and have been job searching for about 5 months and have had no luck whats so ever. I know the job market is scarce and the economy is horrible. But I don't understand why I haven't received any response but one in 5 months. I really wanted my son to start school in August since they go back a month early than in nj. But it looks like this isn't going to happen. Does anyone know of any positions or companies that is in need of an AA, or executive assistant. My slary range is between 35K-40K. I have 7 years of administrative and accounting experience. I would be moving to the Columbia area so anywhere local or within 30min driving distance from there would be great. I have a son so I would like to be near his school just in case of emergency.
My significant is already stationed there so this just leaves me..
Please.. Any help is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM

62 posts, read 133,714 times
nj08, I am in a similar situation. I lived in MD from 1987 until 1999 and now my wife and I are moving back. In the MD/DC/VA area things are sooo fast paced if someone sees your resume and you are not there RIGHT NOW they simply are not likely to contact you.

If your significant is already there and you will be living together you may want to consider just moving. In my judgment once you get that MD address and phone number on your resume and apply for your positions on the same SUNDAY(this is key!) the ads are posted you should begin to get some responses. You should also be able to get more than 40k a year.

Recruiters in that area are looking for people who can start NOW!, not in a month. Although you may be able to move quickly, the recruiters have no way of knowing that. If they think that they may be wasting precious time they will simply move on to the next resume.

In my case I will have to leave my wife here in Ohio where she has a job and go to MD myself, stay in a friends basement so I can interview, secure a position and then return to Ohio to get her.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Authenticity,
I was thinking that may help using his address but many people have told me that I have an advantage because they like to hire people from NY. Is this not true. I am a very independent woman and I thought about just moving there but I don't know how long ti may take for me to get a job and wouldn't want to put that pressure on my signaficant other. Exepcially when we both have expenses. I had used my address in nj because I figured that would be easy to answer why I'm leaving my job. But maybe I should try using his address in MD to see if I get any response. I know the job market is not on my side right now.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 PM

27 posts, read 103,065 times
We moved to Maryland 2 months ago and I am JUST starting to get responses to my resume. I have to agree with the above that it may be better to do it when you are actually already here, or go ahead and use your significant others address, see if that helps you get some more calls.

Best of Luck in your move and your search.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 4,701,664 times
Get a Skype IN phone number with a local area code. Costs like $30 for 6 months or so and will give you a MD or DC phone number to put on the resume.

Who told you it would be an advantage to be from NY? New Yorkers? :-) For a position like an AA or executive assistant, they want you immediately more than the fact you were 'trained in NY' (to be honest, if being from NY is an advantage in some places (which I don't necessarily agree with), it's a disadvantage to others who don't like NY'ers.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:56 PM

I thought it would be easier to use my nj address since it would help in saying why I am looking for another job. I will start to use a MD address and see how that works. Hopefully I will get some responses considering time is not exactly on my side. My only thought is when going on a interview I will need to travel back and forth but I guess I will have to get a interview first.
For those who are now getting responses how long did you start applying before getting any responses? Is the economy that bad that I ahven't realize it???

Old 07-13-2009, 07:07 PM

62 posts, read 133,714 times
I think it is a GREAT IDEA to use your significant others home address and get a disposable cell phone with a 301 area code.

In fact, I'm going to use my friends address (with permission) and get myself a tracfone with a 301 area code. I bet that will work like a charm.

Sounds like a plan to me. Try that for a few weeks and see what happens. I think you will get a more accurate picture of the demand for your desired position.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 14,539 times
There are a lot of government contractors in Maryland, including the Columbia area that have EA / AA needs. Goggle government contractors and get the names of some of the larger companies, e.g., SAIC, ManTech, Booz Allen, BAE, Northrup Grumman, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, etc. And for everyone of them there are probably 200 small compaines in that industry that are also looking for people. Good Luck on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland