U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 7,072 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to the Cumberland area from Buffalo, NY area. Our main concern is a good school district. Can anybody offer any information on what the best district or area to be in is?

Also my wife will be looking for an accounting job, where is the best link/place to find that type of work in that area?

How are the winters there? We are from Buffalo and accustomed to a lot of snow and long winters ( we don't like them) and were hoping to get transferred a bit farther south. Should I be bringing my John Deere snowblower along or sell it and buy a shovel?

Lastly, sounds corny, but my littlest one is very talented in gymnastics, is there any gymnastic centers there?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 AM

380 posts, read 1,031,784 times
Have you been through Cumberland yet? It's well worth the drive down to check it out. That area of MD is unique geographically and socially. My in-laws live just East of Cumberland; it is a beautiful area. Only draw backs are that you still have the high MD taxes and some aspects of the cost of living, but the depressed salaries of a former bustling industrial city. Real Estate prices are low. Cumberland does have job opportunities and is considered a job center for many in the surrounding small towns in MD and across the river in WV.
My brother-in-law farms and commutes to Springfield VA for a full time (good paying) job as well. If your the outdoor type, there is good hunting, fishing, biking, & canoeing. When it comes to schools, that's always a tough one with a lot of subjectiveness and variables. I think my niece & nephew, who like I mentioned are about 15 minutes East of Cumberland, either had to or still do switch buses for some reason on their exceptionally long ride to school.

Yes keep the snow blower, but don't expect it to get nearly as much use.
If you want less snow you may want to look a little farther East and in lower elevations; when you hit the I-81 N/S corridor or where I live near Shepherdstown WV, a foot of snow at one time is exceptional, some years we may only get a few dustings and a few 4 to 8 inchers.

Last edited by clintsullivan; 07-16-2009 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 07-16-2009, 06:29 AM

35,165 posts, read 45,014,622 times
Keep the snowblower.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:14 AM

5,304 posts, read 8,572,158 times
Cumberland proper doesn't get a ton of snow, the city is in the rain shadow of the Allegheny Front and located in a deep valley that has its own little heat island effect. West of town gets alot of snow as do the ridgetops to the east.

How old are your kids? There are three HS districts, Allegany, Fort Hill, and Mt. Ridge. Mt. Ridge is the newest, Allegany probably the best academics of the public schools. Bishop Walsh is an affordable private school option as well.

Try CBIZ for accountant type jobs.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM

69 posts, read 174,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep the snowblower.
I've been here in LaVale for four years and haven't seen enough snow to break out a snowblower yet. And we know snow, we moved here from the Vermont/Canadian border.

If you're looking for a tame winter, this is it.

As to the schools, I would rate them as fairly good. We have a 17 year old who will be graduating this year and a two year old who won't.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM

35,165 posts, read 45,014,622 times
NWS Sterling, VA - Maryland winters

Allegany County Maryland - info, facts, communities on Key to the City

I'm not saying he'll get Buffalo snow, but Western MD gets more than the rest of the state, usually, and is more comparble to Western PA than Central or Southern MD. As I said, keep the snow blower.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:12 AM

It all depends on elevation in Allegany County. LaVale is in a low valley in the rain shadow and doesn't get alot of snow. The city of Frostburg on the slope of Savage Mountain gets much more.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,121,071 times
The rides to school can get pretty long in some of the rural areas east and north of Cumberland. My wife went to Flintstone HS paying PA taxes but that arrangement's fallen apart because the Allegany County school board closed Flintstone and Oldtown HS's. Now her in-laws (their land borders Rocky Gap SP on the PA side) have over an hour bus ride each way, even in kindergarten now that the PA schools closed the elementary school near the border. We have had great difficulty imagining moving to this zone with elementary school kids - would have to figure in Catholic school or something.

Eastern Allegany Co. is the driest part of MD, wells in some shale valleys are unproductive, and prickly pear cactus is a rare but native plant. On the PA side, septic system regulations are very onerous. Getting power to your site if you want it could be a major issue with Allegheny Power as well. It sure is beautiful country which might be why the land values are so high where rocks are the best crop. People who move in to the hinterland seem to be retiring from NoVA, their cashing out prices out the locals.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 PM

The only school east of Cumberland still open is Flintstone Elementary. It is K-5 and services all of the Eastern part of the county. I imagine some kids in the Little Orleans and Oldtown regions have long bus rides.

Flinstone Elementary feeds into Washington Middle and then Fort Hill High, both in Cumberland proper. This means longer bus rides for alot of the kids.

While most counties in the state are struggling to build schools to keep up with growing population, Allegany County is wrestling with which schools to close. So far the answer has been to close the smaller rural schools and bus those kids into the more urban areas. If you live close to Cumberland, Frostburg, or LaVale, bus rides are much shorter.

All in all, I would recommend the Bishop Walsh Catholic school option to anyone who can swing it financially. It is cheap compared to Catholic schools elsewhere in the state and is insulated from the swirling divisive controversies that dominate the public schools.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,121,071 times
How long before Allegany and Fort Hill combine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or