Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 9,530 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband has accepted a position on the north side of Hagerstown MD, so we will be relocating there from Iowa. We're looking at areas in MD, PA and WV as we want to have an open mind to where we settle. The very most important thing to us is the schools, we have a 4 year old that will be attending Kindergarten next year and a 4 month old. We plan on being in the area for quite some time. We're looking at spending $260-$300K for a home (depending on the taxes, I've noticed they can be all over the map in this area). We absolutely want to buy an existing, newer home, building is not an option because of our relocation policy. Can anyone give some insight on the areas with the best schools for young children? I'm feeling a bit scattered looking at such a large area. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,998 times
I just saw your comments on the Moving to HagerstownMD thread and I think you'd probably like WV or PA better than MD. You should check out JeffersonCountyWV.
I'll PM you some more info.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 31,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
I just saw your comments on the Moving to HagerstownMD thread and I think you'd probably like WV or PA better than MD. You should check out JeffersonCountyWV.
I'll PM you some more info.
WV an PA better than Maryland, what, are you crazy? I've lived in Baltimore city, I've lived in PA, an PA is a state that I wouldn't even want to visit. The hole Hanover area is a bunch of rednecks, an in York its a bunch of gangs. I dont know much about West Virginia, but I've been threw it a lot, but I never seen anything to do, other than a shopping center. Hagerstown is a very nice suburban area, with a lot of shopping, an easy access to a lot of places. I used to visit it a lot when I was younger, good memories.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:23 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
Hagerstown is a great place to raise a family. Lots of parks, shopping, good restaurants, growing in diversity, good schools, safe neighborhoods, etc. I don't think there are many schools/areas to avoid. We like the north and east ends of Hagerstown best, but all areas are nice and safe. We are in the North Hagerstown district and are very happy with the schools.

Not sure what PA or WV has to offer over MD? I think your best bet is MD (though WV and PA are, like MD, beautiful places).

Good Luck.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM

240 posts, read 831,607 times
You may want to check out Berkeley County, WV. It is just over the river from Hagerstown on Interstate 81. Cost of living is much cheaper than in MD. There are many newer developments throughout the county with great deals on foreclosures. You can get a very large newer 4BR Colonial style for around $180,000-230,000 in a nice development and in some cases less.

The county seat of Berkeley County, WV is Martinsburg. Berekeley County has a population of approx 102,000. It is recognized as the 75th fastest growing county in the US. You can get to Hagerstown in 15 minutes, Frederick in 45 minutes, and DC/Baltimore in 90 minutes. Martinsburg has new shopping options opening (Target, Dick's, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, etc.) but you are also a short drive to any store you would want: Winchester, Hagerstown, Leesburg, etc.

The best school district in the county is probably Hedgesville.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
Here is a neighborhood that has some new, just built but not yet lived in homes in a great school district:

Hillside Manor Community - D.R.Horton - America's Builder

North Hagerstown's US News ranking:

Boonsboro and North Hagerstown High Schools Recognized Again by Newsweek Magazine as Top Schools

Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
In the Hagerstown area, you will likely find a wider selection of newer already-built homes in WV and PA, due to slow-growth measures in Washington County pushing the local developers over the M-D line and the Potomac. All share a rolling valley that might be reminiscent of Iowa except for the twisty roads and different styles of older homes. Politically I'd call the area a good bit more conservative than the Quad Cities where I used to live. My general feeling is a more staid sort of conservatism than in York County PA, by no means should Franklin County be tarred with a York County brush.

MD and WV have countywide school districts but PA has more local control. That means that what you see now in PA is more likely to be what you get in 12 years, for good or ill.

Conversely, if you buy something in Berkeley County or Franklin County looking for that "country feeling", you might get 1,000 townhouses built in the woods behind your place within a couple of years, especially in Berkeley with its pro-growth agenda developers have been getting away with even more than in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland