Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM

107 posts, read 584,678 times

Advertisements

Well...for me personally...I've lived all throughout Maryland and DC. I used to hate DC (like many other fellow Baltimoreans)...people seemed to be rude and unkind...and these are people who really aren't originally from the area...but then I had to get a job and no one wanted to hire me in Baltimore as an inexperienced college student so I had to take a job in DC. Once I started working there, I realized people are people. I still think people are a little bit "snooty" in DC than in Baltimore but whatever...I go home to Baltimore at the end of the day so I leave the snootyness there...I've dated guys in DC and have lots of friends there...so I don't think there's a real beef with DC...at least not with me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Would it be right to say that B'more and it's vicinity are more blue collar focused?
To answer your question: a resounding yes. B'more is more like Philly than DC. Whereas the DC Area jobs are more service and federal government oriented, B'more (historically anyway) has a much stronger focus on an industrial economy and the private sector overall. This focus has changed recently though.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Pretty much what everybody else has said, money and focus. You mentioned PW as in Prince William (I think you meant PG as in Prince George's). Unfortunatley, Baltimore has contiuned to eat resources, while Montgomery and Prince george's have actually done something with the resources that they have received (to an extent, even though their is lot of money wasted on their ends as well).

Baltimore's biggest claim to fame has been the inner harbor, while on that same note the city may eat up more money on addiction prevention or AIDS awareness than a smaller county like, say Caroline county receives in their total budget. Baltimore City has been plagued by poor schools, addiction, AIDS, crime and other ills for many, many years (the same as other counties, just at a bigger rate with no signs of decline) and at some point, someone in office will be forced to realize that throwing money at it is not going to change anything. From my understanding, while crime has gone down in the District and Prince George's, it still continues to rise in Baltimore. Reason being, what industry can Baltimore latch on to? Bethleham Steel is long gone, along with other blue collar jobs, while Montgomery, Prince George's and NOVA have the luxury of latching onto the Federal Government in the DC for employment. The recession seems to have skipped the DC metro area, while Baltimore got hit like other cities. You also have entitlement and eliteism from all sides of the coin, making the waters even more murkier.

Baltimore has always has always strived to become a mini new york or DC, however just like New York, DC and other cities, corruption in government along with other issues like money mismanagement, and shifting priorities, runs very deep and can switch every four to eight years. Maybe instead of trying to make Baltimore into a mini New York, how about letting Baltimore just be Baltimore?

It is true, not everything can be New York. I think that while reinventing themselves, old cities should play to their strengths. I am not sure the strength of state universities science depts, but Baltimore could figure out some way into into the new green economy focusing of it's bodies of water.

I have a friend from B'more who spoke of the city like many would speak of Newark or Camden, I am sure B'more can offer more than they do. Actually I am surprised by the main focus on Baltimore still, I thought it would be marginalized being an old, rusty, primarily black city. At least I didn't think it would really drive state politics like Chicago drives Illinois or NYC to NYState.

In California, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the cities seem influential but not DOMINATING in influence like it sounds Baltimore and vicinity are. In fact, I bet people in Dutch country and Susquehana HATE dealing with Philly

Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,134 times
I think DC influences the politics of Maryland moreso than Baltimore does.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:19 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times
Someone once told that MD Eastern Shore was oriented towards Philadelphia before the Bay Bridge was built. I wonder if Pittsburgh has or once had any influence in western Maryland?

Wherher Baltimore likes it or not, it has become a suburb of DC - at least that's how the fed gov't treats it in terms of pay. I believe Richmond, VA is heading that way.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
RIchmond will be richmond for a while, unless transportation, economy and settlement evolves so that DC becomes even larger of a behemoth and Richmond is FORCED to be in symbiosis, I don't see it happening.

I don't even think Baltimore is a DC suburb, it has it's own firms and emenities just not as robust as DC's

Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Old timers I know on the Shore have told me that they went to either Philadelphia or Baltimore (pr-Bay Bridge) when they were little for Christmas shopping.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,935 times
yes I believe some of the western counties are more oriented towards Pittsburgh than bmore or dc

Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Allegany and Garrett County are definitely more like Pittsburgh in terms of culture, dialect, food, than they are like Baltimore or Washington. The Steelers are the preferred team out here although the Skins and Ravens have their share as well. Politically, the western counties still need to look east towards Annapolis though, and the state college system as well as government and business keeps Western Maryland somewhat involved with the activity of the rest of the state.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:51 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
RIchmond will be richmond for a while, unless transportation, economy and settlement evolves so that DC becomes even larger of a behemoth and Richmond is FORCED to be in symbiosis, I don't see it happening.

I don't even think Baltimore is a DC suburb, it has it's own firms and emenities just not as robust as DC's

IF the VRE ever makes it into Richmond Main Street and provides the service to the level of how MARC serves Baltimore Penn... I certainly could see it happening.. but for now that is a HELL of a commute. Richmond is 90 to 100 miles from DC right? Thats about like going to Perryville on the MARC? I also believe that Richmond is cheaper housing prices than both DC and Baltimore which may make it attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland