U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:22 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,023,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
IF the VRE ever makes it into Richmond Main Street and provides the service to the level of how MARC serves Baltimore Penn... I certainly could see it happening.. but for now that is a HELL of a commute. Richmond is 90 to 100 miles from DC right? Thats about like going to Perryville on the MARC? I also believe that Richmond is cheaper housing prices than both DC and Baltimore which may make it attractive.
Many Richmond-to-DC commuters carpool daily to Fredericksburg where they pick up the train to DC. I knew one guy who actually vanpooled from Richmond-to-DC daily.

I also had a friend who commuted to DC from Hagerstown, MD daily. He told me his commute time was about 2 hours.

I also know of several people who commute from Philadelphia to the MD DC suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 PM

35,165 posts, read 45,014,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Many Richmond-to-DC commuters carpool daily to Fredericksburg where they pick up the train to DC. I knew one guy who actually vanpooled from Richmond-to-DC daily.

I also had a friend who commuted to DC from Hagerstown, MD daily. He told me his commute time was about 2 hours.

I also know of several people who commute from Philadelphia to the MD DC suburbs.

Lots of people are doing that now, also from WVA and from around Harrisburg and Carlisle in PA.
When we moved to Calvert County from PA 25 years ago co-workers couldn't believe we would move so far away (meaning Calvert). Many of those same folks now live here, too.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-24-2009 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post

Something very unique about this area are the insane commutes. On I-270 in the morning and evening, it seems like half the tags are from PA and WV. I take the MARC train (Brunswick Line) to commute sometimes and the line extends all the way to Martinsburg, WV (most trains go only as far as Brunswick or Frederick though), and the West Virginia trains are always the most packed. The trip time from Martinsburg to DC is about 2.5 hrs.

I've heard of people living as far as Gettysburg, PA or Wilmington, DE commuting to DC. When the WaPo did a story about a power outage on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor they talked to this one lady who drove everyday from a Philadelphia suburb to Penn Station Baltimore and took the MARC train into Washington D.C. VP Joe Biden is famously known for commuting on Amtrak everyday from Wilmington to DC.

According to the CB (United States and States - R0801. Mean Travel Time to Work) Maryland and DC have the 2nd and 3rd longest mean travel times to work, at 31.1 and 30.1 mins respectively. New York was 1st with 31.5. So I find it funny when people from outside the area have a shocked reaction when I tell them it takes me 40 min to commute, when that would be considered about average (especially in Montgomery County). The cost of living is what's really driving people further out. A small 5-year old townhome in Gaithersburg, MoCo would probably cost twice as much as a brand new 3-story single family home in West Virginia or Pennsylvania. Even counties that used to be exurbs (Frederick, Charles, Calvert, Anne Arundel) are getting progressively more expensive. I don't know too much about Harford and Carroll Counties, but I suspect they're heading that way to.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
IF the VRE ever makes it into Richmond Main Street and provides the service to the level of how MARC serves Baltimore Penn... I certainly could see it happening.. but for now that is a HELL of a commute. Richmond is 90 to 100 miles from DC right? Thats about like going to Perryville on the MARC? I also believe that Richmond is cheaper housing prices than both DC and Baltimore which may make it attractive.
I don't think VRE will make it that far. It is about the same distance of Perryville-DC, but remember Perryville-Baltimore is half that distance. There aren't any major cities between Richmond and DC. Increased Amtrak service seems more likely. Gov. Kaine added new special Amtrak commuter service to Richmond and Lynchburg from DC to commence this fall.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 AM

6,583 posts, read 10,042,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I don't think VRE will make it that far. It is about the same distance of Perryville-DC, but remember Perryville-Baltimore is half that distance. There aren't any major cities between Richmond and DC. Increased Amtrak service seems more likely. Gov. Kaine added new special Amtrak commuter service to Richmond and Lynchburg from DC to commence this fall.
That is good news... Amtrak does make the most sense.. As I understand it VRE is funded primarily by the local governments that is services.. It may be hard to get Hanover, Henrico, Spotsyvania and the City of Richmond to "pay" for those services unless a large number of voters live and would use the service.....not to mention that CSX may not welcome the additional rail traffic on an already congested corridor. I hope Amtrak's fares would be "reasonable" The State of NC subsidizes a similiar limited Amtrak service between Charlotte and Raleigh.. which I heard is reasonable...though it is not really a true "commuter rail" per se...

Old 07-27-2009, 10:08 AM

542 posts, read 1,332,287 times
I believe Spotsylvania already does, considering they have a few stops there, and that most people there work further in the Northern Virginia area and DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or