Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,179 times

Advertisements

If we were to consider moving, which city would be best for a family of 3 kids? Considered Charlotte, NC - Baltimore, MD - Washington, DC? My husband enjoys a big city, my kids need autistic help in school, and I just want us to enjoy the place but feel safe. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 04:17 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
I don't know about Charlotte or DC, but Baltimore has the Kennedy Kreiger Institute:

http://www.kennedykrieger.org/index.jsp

Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,179 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for that information. Once you are used to being settled in a place, the thought of re-locating brings in all sorts of questions!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,307 times
In the Baltimore-DC area, there are lots of great resources for families whose children need learning accommodations. However, we have so many school/political jurisdictions, the exact answer depends on where you would want to live.

I grew up within DC and Montgomery County. The wealth of cultural activities in the city as well as the easy access by car to the beach, mountains, and theme parks was great. Some folks really like the Baltimore suburbs. I'm a fan of Baltimore city, but if I had children, I would be very particular about what neighborhoods I would move to just because of the crime patterns there. It's not that the city is unsafe, it just takes more research in Baltimore to know where the true hot spots are.

I think one of the biggest determinants is budget. I was just telling someone on the DC forum that the average housing price in the Washington, DC MSA is $417k. Rentals aren't that much less expensive. The homes in most desirable family neighborhoods in the DC region are in upper northwest DC, Montgomery County, Arlington County, and Fairfax County, can be even pricier than the median. That may or may not be an issue for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: