U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 10,610 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'm 23-yr old male that just graduated from Penn State. I'm going to be taking a job this fall right around the BWI airport and it had been recommended that Annapolis would be a nice place to live.

The recommender (a friend of my uncle's) suggested that Stone Point or Harbour Gates would be nice places to live. Would anyone have a recommendation of one over the other? I've read questionable things from different rating sites about both places, but you never know what you can trust (negatives could just be sour grapes and the positives could be the management companies). Thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 AM

866 posts, read 2,370,499 times
Default Is Baltimore an option?

I don't know about those specific apartment complexes, but Annapolis in general is a decent place to live, and the commute to BWI wouldn't be too terrible.

However, depending on what type of environment you are looking for, you might want to consider Baltimore. Living in a neighborhood like Federal Hill or Locust Point would put you close to many activities, restaurants, bars, and other young people. Commuting to BWI from that part of the city would only be about 10-15 minutes. Annapolis is a much smaller community, so if you are looking to meet other people, I would strongly suggest Baltimore.

Feel free to direct message me if you have any questions. Good luck to you.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 AM

35,165 posts, read 45,014,622 times
Be prepared for price shock, especially as it relates to housing.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:35 AM

65 posts, read 186,502 times
Default Stone Point

I have lived at Stone Point for the last year and will be there through next June. I got my 1-bedroom at an incredibly good price last summer, and they gave me a free month while keeping my rent the same when I re-signed my lease.

The apartments are okay, but my recommendation would be to get an apartment on the back side of the complex because Housley Rd is extremely noisy at all hours of the night. People burning rubber out of Stone Point and Regatta Bay all the time, kids with their ricers and sportbikes. The back of the complex would be shielded from this noise, but unfortunately I'm right by the road.

Maintenance is pretty responsive, as well as the leasing office staff. Never had any problems there.

Utility bills - these are by no means energy efficient apartments. Regardless of the gouging by BGE recently (I actually just got a $350 refund out of nowhere), I shouldn't be paying near $200 a month for gas and electric in the summer when I keep my a/c around 78 in the day.

Pool/grounds are very nice, grilling facilities are nice as well.

Had some cars broken into and stolen last fall, but this seems to have been an isolated occurrence and the perpetrators were apprehended pretty quickly.

All in all, a decent experience.

Annapolis is an OK place to live, but having been around the DC area, I prefer to be closer to the city and may be taking a job in Columbia soon so I'll probably put myself in closer to the metro.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 PM

19 posts, read 174,481 times
Default Try Baltimore......

Take the last posters advice on Baltimore...........Annapolis is nice, I've lived here for 5 years, but it's not very exciting.......if I had it to do all over again (I'm single), I'd have moved to Baltimore.......

Old 08-31-2009, 06:50 PM

46 posts, read 107,411 times
Harbour Gates is nice, the price isn't too ridiculous and it's in a great area.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:23 PM

9 posts, read 25,725 times
I lived in Annapolis for 20 years. Harbour Gates has extremely small apartments and I knew a couple who moved out because they could hear EVERYTHING and the management office was unresponsive to their requests for routine repairs.

Apartments are VERY pricey in Annapolis. If you're working in the BWI area, try Pasadena, Glen Burnie, or Linthicum for apartments. They aren't nearly as classy or "toney" as Annapolis, but I assure you a roach is a roach is a roach ... whether it's living in Annapolis or living in Glen Burnie.

Also, A LOT of the apartments in Annapolis that are in the area of Hilltop Lane and Spa Road are now Guatamala. I moved out of what WAS a nice complex after a bunch of Gutamalans moved in and brought tons of roaches with them - along with living in shifts in a two bedroom apartment.

You might have to suck it up and get a room in a house for awhile or a roommate until you find the right "fit" and commute distance for yourself.

Trust me on this. After 20 years of living in the same town, I think I'm pretty well acquainted with the ins and outs. Annapolis is a GREAT town; my ex husband and I owned a home just three miles from the Chesapeake Bay. But rents are overpriced for what you get.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 PM

11 posts, read 33,594 times
Annapolis would be nice...do NOT listen to all...do you need a realtor to help you. I moved to Bowie last year from NEPA and love it...I do not get a commission...but I could hook you up with someone good...to fit your needs like he fit mine. It was a cousins friend so I trusted him and rented blindly...I know crazy...but worked out AMAZING! YOU WILL LOVE IT...enjoy your adventure....if you do not like it....get the experience and you can move. Good Luck! A mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland