U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM

8 posts, read 20,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaava View Post
Which neighbourhoods (and zip codes) in Columbia are safer and which I should avoid? I saw a crime report from a Howard county PD and it was frightened- child sex offenders, gun displays and shots, robberies..We are in the middle of relocating in MD and we have one 5 year old son. We need a safer place to raise our child, please help

Hi Avaava,

Columbia is divided into villages. I grew up in Owen Brown Village (it's changed a lot). I would strongly recommend River Hill Village if you can afford it. It's the newest village and has fantastic schools!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 05:22 PM

663 posts, read 1,880,826 times
did you mention your budget?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:17 PM

102 posts, read 280,166 times
I live in River Hill. $$$ needed. If your household income is > $150k, RH is the best in terms of schools and safety.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:53 PM

332 posts, read 1,165,594 times
In general you will be safe in Howard county although some places are safer than others. I moved into an apartment in Columbia ~ 1 month ago, so I have not been here long but I feel safe where I'm at. Are there problems in Columbia, yes, I'm not sure about the exact number of people but it is ~90K. I think you will find a lot of people who will say that Columbia isn't safe. I also think the term safe is from each individual's perspective and you should find out what they mean and really look at the crime reports. If you look at the crime reports you will find breaking and entering all over the place including Clarksville and River Hill.

I have found the following villages/areas to appear to be safe to me:

Dorsey Search - Fairway Hills Area
Harpers Choice - Hobbits Glen, Beech Creek

I have heard good things about - Hickory Ridge, King Contrivance, River Hill - but I can not tell you specific areas to look at, perhaps the entire village is good, I do not know. I agree with people on River Hill, it is nice but it is priced a lot higher and it is less diverse then other parts of Columbia (if that is important to you). River Hill and Hickory Ridge schools are the most well regarded in Columbia. If the best schools is your number one driver for an area then I would try Ellicott City (communities slated for Centennial), River Hill/Clarksville, Hickory Ridge and as well other Ellicott city schools.

Columbia has alot of apartments/rentals in most of their communities, which can attract some bad apples. Older communities and communities with more apartments/rentals tend to have the worst reputation but most of the areas with single families and townhouses, especially when they are further from the apartments are nice and peaceful.

Perhaps, I will change my mind after I have lived here longer. Good luck and Welcome.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 PM

332 posts, read 1,165,594 times
Michiman,

From where in Michigan are you coming? Sometimes safety means different things to different people. Some people do not want any crime except for the occassional teenage mischief and others, usually city folk, are used to ocassional random crimes - like in NYC.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,215 times
Columbia or howard county has the best school systems in Maryland. About the crime rate, it is not bad at all. Columbia is clean, and it is pricey to live there. Howard County it self is one of the best cities to live in United States. My kids grew up in Howard County and they turned out to be fine. They always say that if your child is raised in Howard County, your child is over previlledged and spoiled. It is a rich area but also getting crowded. If I would suggest, go somewhere in Ellicot City or any where in Howard county.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 PM

34 posts, read 89,604 times
You have 5 kids? Jeez...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland