U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
So by judging your comment that will mean that Majority of Virginia , North Carolina(Raleigh-Durham Triangle and Charlotte), Georgia(Atlanta), and Florida(Orlando and South Florida) is not part of the South due to those areas losing their Southern Culture.....
I don't think anyone considers South Florida (Orlando, Tampa, and anything below) to be "southern." As for the rest, if you think MD's DC suburbs are just like the "majority of Virginia," North Carolina's Cities, and Atlanta you need to actually visit those places. I was in Charlotte earlier this year and even downtown the majority of the people you talk to have very obvious Southrn accents.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 PM

542 posts, read 1,332,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I think you make a good point Keyser. Do we not consider the suburbs of Atlanta "the south" just because much of their heritage has been built over?
Exactly. The same thing is said for Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantwon View Post
LOL........you mean up into the late 70's
Maybe down there, but the first house my relatives lived in most of their lives was built in the 50s. This is in PG, near DC.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 PM

41 posts, read 129,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
When I grew up in Pennsylvania, I always thought of Maryland as "The South." Then when I went to college, I became friends with a couple of girls from Baltimore, and they laughed at me. They did not think of themselves as being from the South. Now that I live in Northern Virginia, I agree that Baltimore and DC are more like Mid-Atlantic states. Having said that, I think certain parts of the state are somewhat southern.
Yeah my father is from Pennsylvania so I see where you’re coming from. But to be honest in southern Virginia/West Virginia a Marylander is considered a "Yankee". I contacted the trailer park and asked, they just aren’t agreeing with Maryland being part of the club.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 PM

80 posts, read 228,523 times
I've lived in many different places around the region- Madison,VA- Southern,MD- Cumberland,MD- Romney,WV- Gettysburg,PA- Parkersburg,WV among others with a lot of my family from Virginia and St.Mary's Co MD. While going to school in a few of these areas the only place I ever was asked about my accent was Gettysburg. I had no trouble in Southern,MD or Virginia or Romney for that matter.

Maryland was a slave state. I always thought Calvert-St.Mary's and Charles Counties had a lot of southern flavor with their tobacco farms and such. Of course there's probably not a lot of those anymore.Cumberland was a little bit different but I never really felt out of place there either. I didn't hear really any southern accents in Cumberland but over in Romney some folks had a touch of it and some didn't.

In the Parkersburg area some people have quite a bit of an accent and some do not. However I feel most of WV fits more with the South since it was part of Virginia.I had no trouble with my Virginia accent here either since most people in the South understand one another pretty well even if their accent is slighty different. There's a place just North of Parkersburg called Henderson Hall that was a plantation that usually had around 100 slaves working it at any given time.That was right across the river from freedom in Ohio.

MD is quite a bit different these days but it's still below the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:12 PM

96 posts, read 94,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Correct. The Washington suburbs as we know them today were farmland up until the 50's when they started buying out and building.
Then you need to define what you call "the Washington Suburbs".Farmland was still plentiful in Charles ,Calvert and St.Marys's all the way into the late 70's till the anti smoking lobby wiped out the tobacco farms.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Okay, for arguments sake, lets say that Maryland was as Southern as Alabama before the Civil War, that there may still be "southern" areas on the Eastern Shore and Southern MD (the latter still up for debate), and that even though the state fought for the Union/North and refused to secede all the citizens hated it, but the fact is that the state at large, in 2009, is dominated (economically, culturally, politically) by Central MD which I'm sure everyone can agree is "northeastern."

Quick fact: Yesterday I found out the United Methodist Church grouped Maryland in its Northeast Conference along with Delaware, DC, and West Virginia. Yet another organization that groups MD in the NE/Mid-Atlantic.
But please tell me what part of West Virginia is on the Atlantic ocean? WV is southern Appalachia.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garine View Post
Looking for the attitude of people who live in the area. The Deep South has the contradictory reputation of southern hospitality and heavy Bible Belt Christianity mixed with intolerance and racism.

Where does Maryland fit in with those stereotypes?
Really if Marylanders want to call themselves southerners, that’s cool. But most Northern Virginian’s don’t consider themselves southerners so this could lead to some confusion (lol) but WHATEVER.

Well lets take a look though (I forgot about the term bible belt)

Bible Belt

Or by accent
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt324/maps101/untitled-3.jpg (broken link)

Old south/Deep south influence map
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt324/maps101/deepsouth.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM

542 posts, read 1,332,287 times
^ It's been stated before that the Bible Belt map is wrong. There is Old South influence/relics in Maryland, and I'd really like some verification of the existence of an authentic Northeastern accent that can be found in Maryland, as well. It's not the most "Southern" place, but I wonder what makes people totally exclude Maryland, or at least the "qualifying parts" from the South when it has history, influence, and ties to the region.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM

5,304 posts, read 8,572,158 times
WVman, The dialect map leaves much to be desired. Here is a better one:
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/phono_atla...p/NatMap1.html

The Deep South/Old South map pretty much confirms what many of us have been saying that Southern Maryland and the Lower Eastern Shore are Southern in culture.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
^ It's been stated before that the Bible Belt map is wrong. There is Old South influence/relics in Maryland, and I'd really like some verification of the existence of an authentic Northeastern accent that can be found in Maryland, as well. It's not the most "Southern" place, but I wonder what makes people totally exclude Maryland, or at least the "qualifying parts" from the South when it has history, influence, and ties to the region.
"History" is the keyword here. This isn't 1830. Plus, the "qualifying parts" make up a tiny minority of the state. I fully agree that Maryland is no Massachusetts, but it looks more like it when compared to states such as South Carolina or Mississippi. Baltimore's accent is practical identical to the Philadelphia/South Jersey accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or