U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 AM

90 posts, read 343,693 times

Advertisements

If you live in the DC or Baltimore 'burbs, you're a northeasterner. You walk fast, your university is plastered on the back of your rear window to remind everyone how awesome you are, you go out to dinner dressing the way you do because other people will pay close attention and will judge you by your choice in attire, you drive fast and you are smart enough to get the hell out of the way if you're too slow in the fast lane, you tolerate traffic that would make most other Americans cry, you never feel like you measure up and you detest those stupid conservatives.

That's metropolitan Maryland, in a nutshell.

I may not like everything about the state, but if Maryland isn't one of the best damn places in the United States to live, then I guess my experiences in Dallas, San Francisco, Denver, Atlanta and upstate New York have taught me very little. Maryland, for all it's shortcomings, kicks major ass.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,603,699 times
The map on the previous page misrepresents the Mason-Dixon line, inaccurately showing it as running along the western border of Delaware in such a way as to enclose Delaware within the North. However, the Mason-Dixon line ends at the DE border and does not encompass it.

Over on the DE forum there was an endless discussion of whether or not Delaware is in the South. The sensible answer: it's a Mid-Atlantic state that combines features of both North and South or alternatively has a distinctive culture that is neither truly Northern nor Southern.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,912,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Yeah, that's a convincing argument. I don't understand what the photos are for. I think everyone knows where the M-D line is, and we've already discussed why it isn't the North South dividing line. Oh, and I'm going to give up on that "Civil War BS." From now one the the second most important war in this country's history didn't happen, there was no such thing as the Confederacy, Reconstruction is a myth, and nothing changed after the war. I noticed Maryland is striped on that map. Looks like it's striped on this one as well (as well as VA for some reason):
Maryland is a Southern State I have proven my point..........

Accept it and deal with the truth............

Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory81 View Post
If you live in the DC or Baltimore 'burbs, you're a northeasterner. You walk fast, your university is plastered on the back of your rear window to remind everyone how awesome you are, you go out to dinner dressing the way you do because other people will pay close attention and will judge you by your choice in attire, you drive fast and you are smart enough to get the hell out of the way if you're too slow in the fast lane, you tolerate traffic that would make most other Americans cry, you never feel like you measure up and you detest those stupid conservatives.

That's metropolitan Maryland, in a nutshell.

I may not like everything about the state, but if Maryland isn't one of the best damn places in the United States to live, then I guess my experiences in Dallas, San Francisco, Denver, Atlanta and upstate New York have taught me very little. Maryland, for all it's shortcomings, kicks major ass.
To say Maryland(DC and Baltimore Suburbs) is a non-Southern is to also say that Virginia(Northern, Richmond, and Norfolk-Newport News), North Carolina(Raleigh-Durham Triangle and Charlotte), Northwest Georgia(Atlanta), Central and South Florida are non-Southern...........

Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,356,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland is a Southern State I have proven my point..........

Accept it and deal with the truth............
Haha, you have yet to "prove" a single thing you've said on the entire forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
To say Maryland(DC and Baltimore Suburbs) is a non-Southern is to also say that Virginia(Northern, Richmond, and Norfolk-Newport News), North Carolina(Raleigh-Durham Triangle and Charlotte), Northwest Georgia(Atlanta), Central and South Florida are non-Southern...........
Uh, what exactlt are you trying to say? I fail to see the logic. Maryland is Northeastern, those other states are undisputably Southern, although Central and South Florida has a totally different culture and feel, and (most of) Northern Virginia reflects the Northeast more.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 AM

5,268 posts, read 8,495,040 times
If Cterp or $$ can "prove" anything about American regionalism I would love to hear it. I have spend many years researching the topic and finding anything concrete is difficult. No doubt sociology done on a large scale will always be a "soft science" at best, a humanity most likely. Maryland suffers more than most due to our small size, internal regionalism, and location between larger recognized cultural regions.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM

542 posts, read 1,325,471 times
Man, is cpterp still trying to deny Maryland or at least parts of it aren't Southern in any way, shape or form, and is absolutely nothing like that "awful" state across the Potomac? Give it up already, sheesh! You make a fool of yourself when you argue against facts!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:01 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,356,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
If Cterp or $$ can "prove" anything about American regionalism I would love to hear it. I have spend many years researching the topic and finding anything concrete is difficult. No doubt sociology done on a large scale will always be a "soft science" at best, a humanity most likely. Maryland suffers more than most due to our small size, internal regionalism, and location between larger recognized cultural regions.
[$mk8795 is a poster with no credibility that loves to rant by saying a lot of nothing (look at the other MD boards).]

You're right there concrete proof is hard to come by since the Northeast and the South aren't seperate legal entities with specific borders (despite the latters attempts to make it so). My argument this entire time has been that Maryland is much more Northeastern than it is Southern. Other than most people agreeing that the state is Northern (on this board, the one in the General Forum, and in "reality"), the most valid "proof" I could provide is the similarities the state shares with other Northeastern states on paper, which is far more than it shares with Southern states. I've posted a lot of them a ways back, but here are the most biggest ones:

1. Size and Density-apart from the obvious similarites, this greatly impacts the culture
2. Wealth- MD is the wealthiest state in the country, the next wealthiest are New Jersey and Connecticut
3. Union State-yes there was controversy, but in the end it didn't secede
4. Politics- very heavily liberal state, like nothing you will find in the South
5. Economy- the state most reliant on it's service/tech/finance sector, with very little contribution from agriculture or manufacturing. Again something very common in the Northeast, that you won't find in the South.
6. Education- One of the best educated states, with the highest ranked high school system in the country, and the highest number of PhD's per capita.

On top of that, as we discussed a few pages back, most federal agencies and private firms group Maryland in the Northeast or "Mid-Atlantic." Maybe we need to move on from this thread since we seem to be going in circles.

With all respect to KeyserSoze, I haven't seen you give any "facts" only your opinions about what you see through your own eyes, which is still perfectly valid, but others see it differently. Also, as I've said many times Maryland does have Southern qualities, but are greatly overshadowed by it's Northeastern ones. (I would love for you to point out the post where I said that MD had no Southern qualities whatsoever.)

Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,067,882 times
I would have to say that any Metro area of Bos-Wash is Northeastern. The whole Megalopolis shares a common industrial history, railroads, rowhomes, high-density population, and was the powerhouse of the young United States.

The rural/exurban areas outside of Baltimore, Washington, and even south of Wilmington and extreme south Jersey are a little different. The people may have nothing northern about them, enjoy a slow-paced life, have interest in the confederacy (whatever that racist crap is!)

I find it even in Wilmington - the northern, western, and eastern suburbs are all pretty much northern-like, whereas a few southern suburbs talk a little slower, and might even have country music playing at bars and such. Not so much because the suburb is from the south, but just that, in the Mid-Atlantic, the areas outside of the cities are what differ the most. The cities all share northern characteristics. It's the counties and outlying areas which start becoming southern as far north as Bear, and Stanton Delaware.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Haha, you have yet to "prove" a single thing you've said on the entire forum.

Uh, what exactlt are you trying to say? I fail to see the logic. Maryland is Northeastern, those other states are undisputably Southern, although Central and South Florida has a totally different culture and feel, and (most of) Northern Virginia reflects the Northeast more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or