U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 AM

660 posts, read 1,535,717 times

Advertisements

I think whether MD is Southern or Northern depends on where you are coming from, and which part of Maryland you are in. If you are coming from the Carolinas, pretty much all of MD is Northern. But if you're coming from Connecticut, only Frederick County and points west will seem totally Northern to you. Historically, Maryland was far more Southern than it is today - why else would Baltimore have a Robert E. Lee Park? Under no circumstances, though, do the most culturally Southern parts of MD, like the Eastern Shore, resemble rural South Carolina or Alabama. I'm going to agree with KeyserSoze and goozer that these generalizations are unhelpful, and quite possibly inaccurate. You'll find a much larger African-American middle class in Atlanta or DC than you'll find anywhere in the Northeast.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:10 AM

919 posts, read 2,339,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I think whether MD is Southern or Northern depends on where you are coming from, and which part of Maryland you are in. If you are coming from the Carolinas, pretty much all of MD is Northern. But if you're coming from Connecticut, only Frederick County and points west will seem totally Northern to you. Historically, Maryland was far more Southern than it is today - why else would Baltimore have a Robert E. Lee Park? Under no circumstances, though, do the most culturally Southern parts of MD, like the Eastern Shore, resemble rural South Carolina or Alabama. I'm going to agree with KeyserSoze and goozer that these generalizations are unhelpful, and quite possibly inaccurate. You'll find a much larger African-American middle class in Atlanta or DC than you'll find anywhere in the Northeast.
I should take you on a tour of southern MD, I'm sure there are places that would resemble the deep south... SOMD is the home of the 10oz bud light...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 AM

660 posts, read 1,535,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I should take you on a tour of southern MD, I'm sure there are places that would resemble the deep south... SOMD is the home of the 10oz bud light...
I've been to St. Mary's County a couple of times, actually! It definitely felt Southern to me (which I bring up whenever people from Rockville say there's nothing Southern about Maryland), but it was lacking the "whoa, we're not in Kansas anymore" feeling I got in South Carolina.

A 10 oz bud light? Weird.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:13 AM

144 posts, read 370,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
While agree with this, especially when one goes to areas in Chaptico and Wicomico. Southern Maryland has grown by leaps and bounds to the point where I hardly if ever hear a southern accent or even feel like it's a southern influenced area. And yes, Pax River plays a HUGE part as does Calvert Cliffs. With the consistent influx of Northerners to the base and the 3rd reactor going in a Calvert, Southern Maryland is going to continue to gain a more Northern flavor. This coming from a former New Yorker.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:55 AM

26 posts, read 113,911 times
for "goozer" - I grew up in eastern Texas and I have traveled and stayed a lot through Georgia, Tn, S.C, N.C, and Louisiana. I've also lived in the New York metro area for over 10 yrs. So, I know a thing or two about both areas.

The thing I am trying to gage here is if Marylanders are friendly or not, especially to newcomers.

Let me preface this next comment with my acknowledgement that it is a GROSS generalization. I have encountered nice people everywhere and rude people everywhere, but there does seem to be prevailing attitudes in different parts of the country:
In my experience, people in the south/southwest, while wary of newcomers, seem to have the attitude of "I'll be inviting, polite, and nice to you until you give me a reason not to be." People in the New York area seem to have the opposite approach, "I'll ignore you and be rude to you until you can prove that I should be nice." Which is nearly impossible if they won't give you the time of day - unless, you happen to be a relative of their best buddy or something like that or buying something from them.
Of course this is based soley on my personal experience.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 AM

5,279 posts, read 8,516,252 times
Garine, so I guess the question for you is what part of Maryland are you looking to relocate to? The urban/suburban areas in the middle of the state or the more rural "southern" parts?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:54 AM

26 posts, read 113,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Garine, so I guess the question for you is what part of Maryland are you looking to relocate to? The urban/suburban areas in the middle of the state or the more rural "southern" parts?
Thanks for asking that. We may have a job offer in the middle, suburban part of the state -between Washington DC and Frederick. We are a family with school-age kids.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:44 AM

331 posts, read 1,094,779 times
No, we are not southerners. Southern Maryland feels "southern" but still can't be compared to a real southern state like Georgia or South Carolina.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:13 PM

919 posts, read 2,339,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
No, we are not southerners. Southern Maryland feels "southern" but still can't be compared to a real southern state like Georgia or South Carolina.
I disagree, St. Mary's county is very similar in my opinion, especially when you take the transients out of the equation... I went to a cookout not too long ago in the South county where the animal I was eating was killed earlier in the day...

By the way PG is not Southern MD...

I live in Jacksonville, FL now and there are more similarities than I would have imagined...

Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM

71 posts, read 220,230 times
As everybody has already stated, it depends where you are living. I'd say the Eastern Shore and Southern MD are more "southern" but the rest of the state is pretty liberal. Also, in the majority of the restaurants, if you want sweet tea you have to put the sugar in yourself. I think that should give you your answer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or