Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Man, is cpterp still trying to deny Maryland or at least parts of it aren't Southern in any way, shape or form, and is absolutely nothing like that "awful" state across the Potomac? Give it up already, sheesh! You make a fool of yourself when you argue against facts!
He/She is just a typical Maryland Hating Southerner that does not want Maryland associating with Virginia which is why he is against the state of Maryland building anyomre new Interstate Highways, against Massive Urban Growth(Sprawl), against High End Upscale Retail, and against High Dense High Tech Office Growth because it would be too much of a Competition for his region of Northern Virginia..........

Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I would have to say that any Metro area of Bos-Wash is Northeastern. The whole Megalopolis shares a common industrial history, railroads, rowhomes, high-density population, and was the powerhouse of the young United States.
According to your description that makes Virginia part of the Northeast..........

Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 PM

90 posts, read 368,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
To say Maryland(DC and Baltimore Suburbs) is a non-Southern is to also say that Virginia(Northern, Richmond, and Norfolk-Newport News), North Carolina(Raleigh-Durham Triangle and Charlotte), Northwest Georgia(Atlanta), Central and South Florida are non-Southern...........
Those other places have absolutely nothing to do with metropolitan Maryland...at all.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 PM

90 posts, read 368,064 times
Question to those saying metro Maryland is southern: Uhhh, ever LIVED there?

If the answer is yes, I ask a 2nd question: did you ever get out of the house and socialize much? The last one is more rhetorical.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,405 times
Quote:
According to your description that makes Virginia part of the Northeast..........
Exactly...

I have friends in Fairfax, and I have a brother who lives in Lynchburg. Fairfax is northeastern, and Lynchburg is about as southern and Sweet Tea and Grits and Baptist as I've ever seen in Virginia.

Virginia isn't exactly the size of Rhode Island, you know.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:47 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times
Quote:
He/She is just a typical Maryland Hating Southerner that does not want Maryland associating with Virginia which is why he is against the state of Maryland building anyomre new Interstate Highways, against Massive Urban Growth(Sprawl), against High End Upscale Retail, and against High Dense High Tech Office Growth because it would be too much of a Competition for his region of Northern Virginia..........
Yeah that's right I "hate" Maryland . Geez, you really need to get back on your meds. I mean how hard is it to post 1, (just 1) coherent comment with an actual point, and without the ranting, that actually contributes to the discussion.

I also see you posted that pointless photo again. I think 99% of the people living in Maryland know where the M-D line is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory81 View Post
Those other places have absolutely nothing to do with metropolitan Maryland...at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Exactly...

I have friends in Fairfax, and I have a brother who lives in Lynchburg. Fairfax is northeastern, and Lynchburg is about as southern and Sweet Tea and Grits and Baptist as I've ever seen in Virginia.

Virginia isn't exactly the size of Rhode Island, you know.
Reponding to mk324$2 [or whatever it is] is pointless. He/she has been identified as a troll (in many of the MD threads) and rants on about things that make no logical sense or have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,974 times
Quote:
If you live in the DC or Baltimore 'burbs, you're a northeasterner. You walk fast, your university is plastered on the back of your rear window to remind everyone how awesome you are, you go out to dinner dressing the way you do because other people will pay close attention and will judge you by your choice in attire, you drive fast and you are smart enough to get the hell out of the way if you're too slow in the fast lane, you tolerate traffic that would make most other Americans cry, you never feel like you measure up and you detest those stupid conservatives.

That's metropolitan Maryland, in a nutshell.
That's every metropolitan area in a nutshell.

Quote:
Question to those saying metro Maryland is southern: Uhhh, ever LIVED there?
Visited all my life, and I currently live here.

Quote:
If the answer is yes, I ask a 2nd question: did you ever get out of the house and socialize much? The last one is more rhetorical.
Socialized enough to know that Baltimore + DC does not equal Maryland. Socialized enough to know that big, over exaggerated stereotypes and black & white logic is irrelevant when discussing the South. Socialized enough to know that state icons like tobacco and the Chesapeake, the Shore & Southern Maryland among other things are very much part of the state's image -- all which have a Southern lineage, going all the way back to the indigenous tribes. Socialized enough to know that industry existed everywhere, but the large cities of the Northeast capitalized the most on it. Socialized enough to know that Maryland has its share of Northeastern history and traits, but that for a long time, its native history and native traits were Southern, and that they still linger around today. Among other things.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,974 times
I never see people apply a strict set of rules applied to what constitutes a Northerner, or a Midwesterner, or a Westerner, or whatever. So why only apply a strict standard to a Southerner?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 AM

307 posts, read 692,162 times
Maryland is South of the Mason Dixon line. During the war(Civil war) Maryland was not allowed to secede as DC would then be ... between the free states to the north and the slave states to the south.Lincoln declared martial law in Maryland and deployed Union soldiers.

Yes Maryland is part of the South it would of succeed from the union.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
I think what you meant to say is that if MD had seceded, then DC would have been trapped between two states of the Confederacy and would probably have been lost as the federal capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland