U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,023,805 times

Advertisements

Why is this topic generating so much controversy?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM

1,477 posts, read 3,646,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Southern pride and Northern stubborness?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,655,917 times
Even the Delaware forum had an endless thread on whether DE is in the South. The NC forum has an endless thread on The Word "Yankee". The Austin TX subforum has had a very lengthy thread on whether Austin is Southern or Southwestern. This all goes to people's sense of identity, I think, and explains why these threads run on forever or get dug up again and re-started so often.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:37 PM

542 posts, read 1,332,287 times
I just don't see how Maryland is completely a "Northeastern" state, and that there's nothing "Southern" about it. To me, it doesn't have to have exaggerated cliches or be as "Southern" as Alabama. The fact of the matter is it has a number of different native things that ties it to the Southern region in many parts of the state. If Maryland wasn't a part of the South, then I would have no reason to lie and say otherwise. What is defined as "Northeastern" culture exists nearly everywhere in the world -- does that make the entire world Northeastern?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:18 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,655,917 times
Without arguing whether Maryland is in the South or not, I do note that people seem to have lost the concept of the "Upper South". I also think the general geographical definitions have shifted. I was interested to see during a recent visit to the Rehoboth Beach Museum in Rehoboth Beach, DE various advertising and correspondence dating from the late C19-early C20 in which Rehoboth Beach was unequivocally referred to as being in the South; indeed, property developers and commercial boosters were trying to push the town as the foremost beach resort in the South. Not in "Southern Delaware" or "South DelMarVa", but in The South as a whole. Sometime over the ensuing course of the Twentieth Century, this geographical identity shifted. However, at least as late as the first few decades of the last century, Maryland and Delaware would both have been considered as part of the South, albeit the Upper South. Possibly the shift in MD has been largely influenced by the growth of the federal government and spillage of the population of Washington, DC out into the surrounding MD suburbs. Spending part of my childhood in DC, most of the population there were distinctly not Southern and there wasn't any very obvious difference between DC and Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Wheaton, Rockville, etc. That constitutes a pretty major regional influence and the same thing can be said pretty much of the close-in VA burbs. At the same time, my mother always insisted - rather academically - that MD was a Southern rather than Northern state.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I just don't see how Maryland is completely a "Northeastern" state, and that there's nothing "Southern" about it. To me, it doesn't have to have exaggerated cliches or be as "Southern" as Alabama. The fact of the matter is it has a number of different native things that ties it to the Southern region in many parts of the state. If Maryland wasn't a part of the South, then I would have no reason to lie and say otherwise. What is defined as "Northeastern" culture exists nearly everywhere in the world -- does that make the entire world Northeastern?
For the record, I never said MD was completely Northeastern. I've maintained that it does have Southern qualities on the Shore, but those are drowned out by and large by it's Northeastern qualities in the rest of the state.

There are few states that are absolutely anything. For instance Pennsylvania has many MidWestern qualities. I think this discussion has been about whether Maryland was dominated by Southern or Northern qualities.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:25 PM

5,304 posts, read 8,572,158 times
A big question is whether in-migration changes a geographic area's identity. Serbs are willing to die to resolve the question of whether Kosovo is part of Serbia. It is irrelevant to them that the overhelming majority of the modern population is Albanian.

Mention the city of "Istanbul" to a Greek and expect a dirty look. It will always be Constantinople, a greek city. No matter that has been in Turkish possesion for 400 years.

American identity today isn't as ferociously fought over, but the same principle is true. For all of Cterp's good points, the very statement that the Northeastern transplants now "dominate" the state and thus can define our state's identity is an insult. No doubt if we put the matter up for a vote, the metro region would call the shots, but regional identity isn't determined in that way. Why not let the Northern parts of the state be Northern and the Southern parts of the state be Southern? There is no need to have a spitting contest about who "dominates" who.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,933,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The southerners don't want Maryland to be part of the South due to bitterness aka Southern False Pride.

Last edited by $mk8795; 09-13-2009 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,933,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Southern pride and Northern stubborness?
Northern Stubberness???????????????

As far as I know Most Northerners respect the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State....

Most southerners don't want to accept the reality of Maryland being a Southern State.........

Old 09-13-2009, 08:55 PM

542 posts, read 1,332,287 times
So as these cities in the South continue to grow, attracting people from all over the world -- will they no longer be Southern? Twenty years down the line, they are going to be just as big and dense as the cities in the Northeast. Will that mean Atlanta and Charlotte will no longer be a Southern city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or