U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 11:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,359,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
American identity today isn't as ferociously fought over, but the same principle is true. For all of Cterp's good points, the very statement that the Northeastern transplants now "dominate" the state and thus can define our state's identity is an insult. No doubt if we put the matter up for a vote, the metro region would call the shots, but regional identity isn't determined in that way. Why not let the Northern parts of the state be Northern and the Southern parts of the state be Southern? There is no need to have a spitting contest about who "dominates" who.
No, I'm not saying that it's the transplants that make the state Northeastern, although that is a factor--Here in Montgomery County I see more license plates from New Jersey and New York (especially the former) than Virginia or Pennsylvania on local roads (not the highways). New Jersey is also (by a significant margin) the largest home state for out-of-state students at UMD. Walk along Campus Dr. any given day and you will see a car with New Jersey plates, and probably New York as well(and maybe PA or VA)--What I'm saying is that the state's Northeastern character is what dominates its Southern traits.

For instance look at Baltimore which shares far more in common with Philadelphia than it does with say Richmond, Charlotte, or even DC (which itself is a solidly Northeastern city). The population density, the architectural styles, the accents, the row homes, the industrial heritage etc. Remeber also that just over half of Maryland's 24 counties (counting Balt. City as a county) are part of major Metro Areas (either the Washington, Baltimore, or Philadelphia), something that you don't see in Southern states. I'm not saying though that any culture or region in Maryland is more important than anyone else.

Now pertaining to your question, okay let's say we ignore who dominates who, but does that answer the question of where Maryland lies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
So as these cities in the South continue to grow, attracting people from all over the world -- will they no longer be Southern? Twenty years down the line, they are going to be just as big and dense as the cities in the Northeast. Will that mean Atlanta and Charlotte will no longer be a Southern city?
Atlanta and Charlotte will continue to be Southern, but to a lesser degree. This stands for any city in the country: Houston, Phoenix, SLC, Seattle wherever...they'll still maintain at least some modicum of their cultural/regional identity. When I was in Charlotte this past January, a majority of the people there had very noticeable Southern accents.

Last edited by cpterp; 09-13-2009 at 11:21 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 PM

192 posts, read 196,691 times
Having grown up in New Jersey, Maryland is definitely a southern state. Things are just so much different here.... and I live in Montgomery County.

Before I moved to Maryland I had never met a fundamentalist Christian, not once in my entire life. There are so many of them here, at least many more than in New Jersey.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,004,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post
Having grown up in New Jersey, Maryland is definitely a southern state. Things are just so much different here.... and I live in Montgomery County.
I agree with your position. I just don't see anything that reminds me of the northeast, other than the preppie subculture that dominates places like Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Roland Park and certain other areas.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,004,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
So as these cities in the South continue to grow, attracting people from all over the world -- will they no longer be Southern? Twenty years down the line, they are going to be just as big and dense as the cities in the Northeast. Will that mean Atlanta and Charlotte will no longer be a Southern city?
Culture is not static. It evolves, but I don't think any of the cities you named will follow the path of Miami.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Before I moved to Maryland I had never met a fundamentalist Christian, not once in my entire life. There are so many of them here, at least many more than in New Jersey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I agree with your position. I just don't see anything that reminds me of the northeast, other than the preppie subculture that dominates places like Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Roland Park and certain other areas.
Interesting...Maryland isn't the same as New Jersey (not culturally anyway), but I've always thought of it as the most similar state to MD. Fundies in MoCo?!? You must live waaay upcounty near the Potomac to meet all 6 fundamentalists that live here . This is probably the most secular county in Maryland, plus the largest denomination in the state is Catholic, and I can almost guarantee you that PA has a greater proportion of fundamentalists than MD does.

Of course the size, culture, extreme political leanings, densities (apart from the fact that there are no rural areas in NJ), economy, education, wealth etc. are very similar. Granted I've never lived in NJ, even though I've visited many times (South and North Jersey). There are some significant differences among the Northeastern states though. Growing up, Hartford Connecticut was almost like a second home to me since my parents lived there (and NYC) for about 30 years, and CT (to me) has a more sterile feel to it than NJ despite their close proximity.

Well anyway, if you guys thought Maryland screams of "southerness" I can't imagine the cultural shock you would get if you moved to the Caronlinas or a Deep South state such as Alabama or Mississippi.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 AM

5,272 posts, read 8,510,563 times
If we ignore the question of "who dominates who," we arrive at a state that has more Northern leaning regions and more Southern leaning regions. If you X out the transplants, the geographic split is about 50-50. So really, aside from our cool flag, delicious crabs, and wonderful college basketball team, MD isn't a state that has a strong statewide character.

Being a Texan or a West Virginian has a meaning that transends what region of the state you live in. I don't think this is the case with Maryland. When asked, people up this way say they are from "Western Maryland." Likewise I am sure you would have a lot more in common with people from NoVa or D.C. than folks from the rural parts of the state. Not that there is anything wrong if that, but trying to answer the question of this thread in state-wide absolute terms is leading us nowhere.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:08 PM

542 posts, read 1,326,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Culture is not static. It evolves, but I don't think any of the cities you named will follow the path of Miami.
Miami has a number of cultures. But it's still in the Deep South.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
If we ignore the question of "who dominates who," we arrive at a state that has more Northern leaning regions and more Southern leaning regions. If you X out the transplants, the geographic split is about 50-50. So really, aside from our cool flag, delicious crabs, and wonderful college basketball team, MD isn't a state that has a strong statewide character.

Being a Texan or a West Virginian has a meaning that transends what region of the state you live in. I don't think this is the case with Maryland. When asked, people up this way say they are from "Western Maryland." Likewise I am sure you would have a lot more in common with people from NoVa or D.C. than folks from the rural parts of the state. Not that there is anything wrong if that, but trying to answer the question of this thread in state-wide absolute terms is leading us nowhere.
Agreed. Texas and West Va. are probabaly the 2 hardest states to classify on absolute terms, and ignoring population in each region the same could be said about MD. I just tell people I'm from "in Maryland outside of DC" or something like that, cause if I just tell them I'm from Maryland for some reason they always assume Baltimore, as if the DC Metro Area didn't exist.

"So really, aside from our cool flag, delicious crabs, and wonderful college basketball team, MD isn't a state that has a strong statewide character."

MD in a nutshell, especially Terps' basketball , and I think we should just leave it at that...

Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 AM

307 posts, read 625,787 times
Quote:

A fundamentalist Christian, is a Liberal.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM

663 posts, read 1,877,722 times
I just joined the association of american geographers today
went to the jobs section
the mid atlantic is categorized as md, dc, and northern va

MAD's nearly 350 members, who are located in Maryland, Northern Virginia, and the District of Columbia, represent a diverse variety of geography backgrounds and interests.

Association of American Geographers (http://www.aag.org/Regions/Middle_atlantic.cfm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or