U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 01:21 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,933,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convex20899 View Post
Use the Mason Dixon line. It's south for god sake!
You can't tell some southern people that.........

Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
You mean the basketball team that is in a southern conference? I think UMD fans get far more riled up when they play Duke, UNC or UVA than Penn State or Rutgers.

I mean, at this point I think we are all beating a herd of dead horses, but it's certainly interesting to see what points of reference we are all using.
No, actually we are in the ACC which is an East Coast conference (like the Big East) that stretches from Boston to Miami, even though half the teams are from Virginia and North Carolina. The Southern conferences are the Southern Conference (duh), the SEC, the Big 12, plus maybe a few other smaller ones.

UVA is not our rival, but Duke definitely is, even though the idiots won't admit it and UNC is also a rival. Georgetown would be our biggest rival if they weren't so afraid of us. That's for basketball, for football our rival is definitely West Virginia, even though they postponed the series for 2 years because they couldn't take getting beat up . Penn State is probably our biggest rival historically, and Navy as well and they don't want to play us period (they learned to fear the turtle). Our lacrosse rival is Johns Hopkins, soccer is Loyola, and for every other sport we take down all comers. You could say that we also have mini-rivalries with Rutgers and Cal.

I'm glad you brought up the conference thing, since in addition to the ACC all the other Div. 1 Maryland schools are either in Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic conferences:

-America East (Northeast MD-ME)
-Colonial (East Coast: GA-MA)
-Northeastern (Northeast: MD-RI)
-Metro Atlantic (Northeast MD-CT)

The HBC's are in Mid-Atlantic conferences: Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) and Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA). The rest of the schools either don't play sports or are in local (DC, MD, PA, DE, VA, NJ) Mid-Atlantic conferences.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,023,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I thought New Yorkers despised New England...
The ones I know would much rather be associated with New England than New Jersey.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:09 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,023,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
You mean the basketball team that is in a southern conference? I think UMD fans get far more riled up when they play Duke, UNC or UVA than Penn State or Rutgers.

I mean, at this point I think we are all beating a herd of dead horses, but it's certainly interesting to see what points of reference we are all using.
With respect to football, Penn State was our long time rival. Of course the rivalry was one-sided, with Penn State usually the winner.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

542 posts, read 1,332,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Atlanta and Charlotte will continue to be Southern, but to a lesser degree. This stands for any city in the country: Houston, Phoenix, SLC, Seattle wherever...they'll still maintain at least some modicum of their cultural/regional identity. When I was in Charlotte this past January, a majority of the people there had very noticeable Southern accents.
If this is the case for every area around the country, then how come this makes Maryland so different? Like I've said so many times before, you get off the beaten path(the 95 corridor), you'll see that Maryland still retains elements of its native Southern ways. Heck, even within the 95 corridor, you can still find Southern things native to the state. Howard County's seal, for example, has the image of wheat and tobacco leaves, two important crops that were grown in the county and are crucial points of the county's heritage. Wheat was grown everywhere, but in this country, tobacco made its mark in the South. While Baltimore is an unique blend(that DOES have Southern traits, no matter how insignificant or un-cliched to you it may seem), and while Western Maryland is more like Appalachia(no offense westsideboy), an entity in itself, how are you going to convince others that areas of Baltimore, Harford, Cecil, Howard, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, and Prince George's counties no longer retain some Southern ways when I've seen it? What about the Shore & Southern Maryland in particular?

And for every organization or what not you can bring up that puts Maryland in the Northeast or "Mid-Atlantic"(since when was New York, most of Pennsylvania & New Jersey part of the Mid-Atlantic?), I could bring up organizations that put Maryland within the Southern region.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
If this is the case for every area around the country, then how come this makes Maryland so different? Like I've said so many times before, you get off the beaten path(the 95 corridor), you'll see that Maryland still retains elements of its native Southern ways. Heck, even within the 95 corridor, you can still find Southern things native to the state. Howard County's seal, for example, has the image of wheat and tobacco leaves, two important crops that were grown in the county and are crucial points of the county's heritage. Wheat was grown everywhere, but in this country, tobacco made its mark in the South. While Baltimore is an unique blend(that DOES have Southern traits, no matter how insignificant or un-cliched to you it may seem), and while Western Maryland is more like Appalachia(no offense westsideboy), an entity in itself, how are you going to convince others that areas of Baltimore, Harford, Cecil, Howard, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, and Prince George's counties no longer retain some Southern ways when I've seen it? What about the Shore & Southern Maryland in particular?

And for every organization or what not you can bring up that puts Maryland in the Northeast or "Mid-Atlantic"(since when was New York, most of Pennsylvania & New Jersey part of the Mid-Atlantic?), I could bring up organizations that put Maryland within the Southern region.
Again I don't disagree with what you'e seen and they may have some Southern traits, but far more Northeastern traits. You could say Western Pennsylvania has many Midwestern traits, but everyone considers it Northeastern. For example, they grow far more tobacco in the state of Connecticut than they do Maryland. As for organizations with "Southern" in their name, I'm sorry but I'm not sure about that one. You can post some examples though. It seems nearly every other local firm has Mid-Atlantic in their name (Mid-Atlantic Credit Union, Mid-Atlantic Builders, Mid-Atlantic Arts Foundation, AAA Mid-Atlantic etc. all based in MD).

New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey (along with MD, DE, DC, in the DC Area VA, and sometimes WV) have always been part of the Mid-Atlantic. The Mid-Atlantic are the states in the Northeast outside of New England. The Middle States Accreditation board members I posted was just one of the many organizations that group the states together. Other examples are the EPA and FTA.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 PM

5,304 posts, read 8,572,158 times
I have to call you out on this one Cterp. The ACC is a Southern conference. The history of Good Old Boy Commissioners and segregation prove the claim. UVA is UMD biggest rival, ask any grad over the age of 30 and they will tell you the same.

Rutgers and Cal are short term series, calling them "rivalries" is a big stretch. Our rivals are Duke, UNC, UVA and our other conference foes. If you don't believe me attend some basketball or football games and check the intensity level of the crowd.

KeyserSoze - calling Western Maryland Appalachia is no offense to me, I wear the identity with honor.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 PM

5,304 posts, read 8,572,158 times
Here is a link detailing the formation of the ACC. The seven charter schools broke from the Southern Conference because of ban on post season play.

theACC.com - The Official Athletic Site of the Atlantic Coast Conference

Notice the alternative names discussed - Dixie, Mid South, Mid Atlantic, East Coast, Seaboard, Colonial, Tobacco, Blue-Gray, Piedmont, Southern Seven and the Shoreline. Lots of Southern suggestions among them. My guess would be the more generic Atlantic Coast Conference came about as a way to "stick" it to the old Southern conference and because the intials sound really cool.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:54 PM

518 posts, read 1,325,269 times
Default that this is even a topic for debate proves that Maryland is Southern

Haha...I just stumbled on this topic here. And I'm sure it's already been debated to death. I've talked about it in other threads. Here's my two cents for the uninformed:

I wont get into that debate on whether or not a state is Southern based on the number "Southern States Co-op" locations, where one can find sweet tea, or how many people say "wait on the train" instead of "wait for the train," but here are some fast facts (in no particular order) that prove Maryland was and is Southern, even though many contemporary Marylanders (those from out of state, in particular) may never identify with the local Southern culture.

-->Maryland may not be as overtly Southern as it once was or as in parts of the Deep South.... today, many people simply refer to Maryland and Virginia as "Up South" as opposed to "Deep South." But a trip down to Choptico or Solomon's Island in Southern Maryland will convince anyone of the region's Southern roots, simply by virtue of the local Southern dialect there which is as "strong" as any in the Deep South. The Southern dialect spoken in most of Maryland is the Virginia Peidmont dialect.

-->The MD State Song's last stanza reads "Huzza, huzza, she spurns the Northern scum" --so, Maryland cannot possible be "Northern." And Baltimore, and quite a few courthouse lawns throughout the state, have a number of very prominent Confederate monuments.

-->Also, the fact that this is even a topic for debate proves that Maryland is Southern... to what degree is up to someone's opinion, experiences, and observations (however incomplete and cursory they might be). The fact that this thread exists also acknowledges Maryland's Southern heritage (i.e. it's past as a culturally Southern colony, state, and region). Maryland history follows the pattern of the other Southern states, from its roots in the "Old South" plantation culture to the struggle for civil rights during the era of segregation by law. (In fact, early Maryland and Virginia was the the model upon which the South's plantation and agrarian culture developed. The development of the Mid-Atlantic Colonies followed a completely different pattern.) Today there are many multi-generational Marylanders, who are cognizant of their history and they DO consider themselves Southern.

-->A couple food related facts: Spoonbread and Maryland beaten buscuits, two very popular Southern dishes have roots in tidewater Maryland and Virginia.

that's all for right now... I'm tired of hearing people say Maryland is like Jersey and PA in casual conversation... nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited by irvine; 09-15-2009 at 07:08 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I have to call you out on this one Cterp. The ACC is a Southern conference. The history of Good Old Boy Commissioners and segregation prove the claim. UVA is UMD biggest rival, ask any grad over the age of 30 and they will tell you the same.

Rutgers and Cal are short term series, calling them "rivalries" is a big stretch. Our rivals are Duke, UNC, UVA and our other conference foes. If you don't believe me attend some basketball or football games and check the intensity level of the crowd.

KeyserSoze - calling Western Maryland Appalachia is no offense to me, I wear the identity with honor.
Well, the ACC isn't a Southern Conference anymore, especially not with Boston College and Miami. Maybe back in the day UVA was UMD's biggest rival (although I was under the impression that Navy and Penn State were for football), but now it's Duke for basketball and WVU for football. The only home basketball game that I missed last season was the Duke game, because the tickets ran out in a few minutes. I've also never been to a WV game, partly because they postponed the series, but also because I never was able to get tickets for the last home game, but I did hear about the numerous fan fights that broke out (trust me you won't see that when UVA comes over). When UVA routed us in C'ville last year, hardly any students went (from UMD or UVA).

I made the UNC basketball game last season and there wasn't an empty seat in Comcast Center. The UVA games are so lackluster compared to the Duke and UNC games. Maybe it's because UVA sucks at pretty much every sport (even though they always seem to "upset" us). If G'town was willing to play us in basketball they would undoubtedly be our biggest rivavlries. Rutgers is our rival for women's basketball though, as well as UNC. Puke is pretty much our rival for everything since we hate that POS school so much.

Anyways I don't think who are rivals are have anything to do with the state being Southern or not. There are many North/South rivalries especially in the Big East and ACC coastal conferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or