U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
But again this is going by rule of the majority, and by that token in terms of land mass I think that majority of MD does NOT feel Northern to me (Not necessarily Southern but not Northern but again just my opinion here)...

You thing MD is northern, I think it is too diverse to label as such
Well, we tried to leave it with "it's too diverse to give an absolute North or South label" a few times, but then a few persons posted it was a Southern state. So, I think you would have to be forced to go by the rule of the majority to label it in this situation. As far as land mass is concerned I'm not so sure:

-Western MD (Alleghany, Washington, Garrett) has it's own culture altogether
-Central MD is decidedly Northern (Frederick, Montgomery, Prince Georges, Baltimore, "the County," AA, Howard, Harford, Carroll)
-Southern MD (Charles, Calvert, St. Mary's) probably was Southern until recently with all the development, population growth, abondoning of tobacco, and rapid accumulation of extreme wealth (Calvert is the 2nd wealthiest small county in the nation and Charles is the 8th). St. Mary's heritage even before the Civil War doesn't seem to be traditionally Southern, but whatever.
-Eastern Shore- The upper counties, particularly Cecil which is a part of the Philadelphia Metro Area, are more Northern while the lower counties on the bay are more Southern.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 AM

919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Well, we tried to leave it with "it's too diverse to give an absolute North or South label" a few times, but then a few persons posted it was a Southern state. So, I think you would have to be forced to go by the rule of the majority to label it in this situation. As far as land mass is concerned I'm not so sure:

-Western MD (Alleghany, Washington, Garrett) has it's own culture altogether
-Central MD is decidedly Northern (Frederick, Montgomery, Prince Georges, Baltimore, "the County," AA, Howard, Harford, Carroll)
-Southern MD (Charles, Calvert, St. Mary's) probably was Southern until recently with all the development, population growth, abondoning of tobacco, and rapid accumulation of extreme wealth (Calvert is the 2nd wealthiest small county in the nation and Charles is the 8th). St. Mary's heritage even before the Civil War doesn't seem to be traditionally Southern, but whatever.
-Eastern Shore- The upper counties, particularly Cecil which is a part of the Philadelphia Metro Area, are more Northern while the lower counties on the bay are more Southern.
In my post I didn't mean that in terms of land mass that MD is mostly "southern" I meant that it just wasn't "northern"...

You and I always seem to disagree on southern MD being southern, and even though it has lost the tobacco industry a lot of the agriculture in the area still revolves around the bay... There are still some seriously rural areas in St. Mary's county, like where you have the one general store and thats the only thing in the area, people still own acres and acres of land, etc...

Old 09-16-2009, 12:35 PM

5,304 posts, read 8,572,158 times
Cterp - The ACC not a Southern conference just because Miami and BC are in it??? Using your logic of the majority being able to decide the identity of the whole, the best you could say is that the ACC is a Southern conference....with some New England and Carribean influence

Old 09-16-2009, 12:50 PM

518 posts, read 1,325,269 times
Quote:
Southern MD's (and Maryland as a whole) is absolutely Southern. The plantation culture of the Old South has its roots in tidewater Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina. As I said in my previous post yesterday, the colonies of the middle Atlantic developed according to an entirely different structure. The Western and Piedmont regions of Maryland are also culturally Southern. Any good book on the Southern Appalachians includes MD. And how could Maryland even be considered "Northern" when it's state song is blatantly anti-Northern.

Whether or not a Marylander considers himself Southern today, depends on his roots (and that of his parents), and those he or she grew up with. In fact I grew up in DC and Northern VA in the 90s and quite a few people I grew up with in the city DO consider themselves culturally Southern. A young New York Times columnist wrote recently of his childhood in Baltimore, which he fondly remembers as a "Small Southern Town" in the 80s!

I fondly remember going to the Greenbelt Labor Day fair as a kid in the 90s, when many of the locals were still culturally Southern, and the local Southern dialect was still quite prevalent. I can't comment on the Greenbelt of today, as I haven't been there in close to a decade.

(It's a shame you can no longer buy George Washington brand Southern Spoon Bread--you can still buy the cornmeal though from the Ellicott City-based company and make it yourself.)

Quote:
abondoning of tobacco, and rapid accumulation of extreme wealth (Calvert is the 2nd wealthiest small county in the nation and Charles is the 8th).
I'm still upset Governor Glendening killed that local agricultural tradition with his buyout program.

Last edited by irvine; 09-16-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM

542 posts, read 1,332,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
This problem extends well beyond this thread in that the western/eastern/southern parts of MD always play second fiddle to the urban parts of MD... They really are worlds apart...
Pretty much explains the state in a nutshell.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times
Im from MOCO in Maryland we dont consider our selves the south neither the north. We are the mid-atlantic, period. We are the best (DMV) represent!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:33 PM

919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moco2009 View Post
Im from MOCO in Maryland we dont consider our selves the south neither the north. We are the mid-atlantic, period. We are the best (DMV) represent!
So you represent the thoughts of the entire county? This is what I am talking about...

What is DMV?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:40 PM

518 posts, read 1,325,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moco2009 View Post
Wow. You definitely don't speak for everyone.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,611,614 times
I didn't know anyone in Maryland considered themselves "Southerners". No. There is nothing southern about Maryland.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 AM

13 posts, read 50,603 times
Yes, Maryland is southern. Ever heard of Frederick Douglass? Or the Star Spangled Banner, perhaps? We are below the Mason-Dixon line, thank you very much. (And that is the definition of the South, by the way; that and in the Civil War, Maryland tried to secede but was stopped by federal troops when Lincoln felt it too dangerous to have D.C. surrounded on all sides by Conferderate states, because Virginia had already seceded.). It is very different from the Deep South but by any definition is southern. "Southernness," so to speak, may be more alive and well on the Eastern Shore or western MD than the D.C.-Baltimore corridor, but trust me, it's southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or