U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:42 PM

1,875 posts, read 3,609,188 times

Advertisements

Man let me sum it up since some folks arent doing it right.....and let me speak from the African American perspective for a moment...D.C is similar to Chicago to me...norther in location but a couple of generations ago were folks from the south who migrated to the north..my grandma was from arkansas my mother is from GA and when Im in Bmore they think Im from chicago or somewhere in the south bc the D.C/ P.G accent has that slow southern drawl but we dont see it cuz we're used to it....But all in all D.C a generation ago were kids whose parents were from the south for the most part so the culture lingers......D.C and MD has some of the most parkland so the open space in some areas feels southern....dont get me wrong it has the fast pace of the north so it can go both ways.....I consider the D.C/ pg area more associated with being southern even tho its not and Bmore and up to be more northern even tho its not its all mid-atlantic...can any1 dig me

Old 09-24-2009, 07:00 PM

542 posts, read 1,332,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Man let me sum it up since some folks arent doing it right.....and let me speak from the African American perspective for a moment...D.C is similar to Chicago to me...norther in location but a couple of generations ago were folks from the south who migrated to the north..my grandma was from arkansas my mother is from GA and when Im in Bmore they think Im from chicago or somewhere in the south bc the D.C/ P.G accent has that slow southern drawl but we dont see it cuz we're used to it....But all in all D.C a generation ago were kids whose parents were from the south for the most part so the culture lingers......D.C and MD has some of the most parkland so the open space in some areas feels southern....dont get me wrong it has the fast pace of the north so it can go both ways.....I consider the D.C/ pg area more associated with being southern even tho its not and Bmore and up to be more northern even tho its not its all mid-atlantic...can any1 dig me
I'm an African American, and I speak from a general perspective. But speaking strictly from an AA standpoint, native Blacks in places like PG & Charles have slight Southern accents. In places like DC & Baltimore, the accents are different(I guess you'd call them "urban" accents), but the difference between their accents and a NY/Philadelphia one is that they are influenced by Southern speech, because some AA Baltimore accents are twangy, some aren't, and some pronounce r's where they aren't particularly there, like "warsh".

Another thing is that Maryland has a rural Black population in the (Lower) Shore and Southern Maryland. That's something you tend to find in the South & certain Midwestern areas.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,933,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
To say that Maryland is Mid-Atlantic is to also say that Virginia is non-Southern and part of the Mid-Atlantic....

Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 PM

1,154 posts, read 4,076,563 times
Baltimore has more in common with Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Detroit than any Southern city. Anthony Bourdain lumped it in with Detroit and Buffalo for his recent 'Rust Belt' episode, incidentally. How can people not see this? Perhaps it is because I live in the west and have a more objective view of things

Listen to this and tell me you can tell the difference between it and a Ballmer accent. I certainly cannot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaauY...eature=related

Old 09-29-2009, 11:33 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,326,802 times
People from Maryland ARE NOT Southerners.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:48 AM

919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
People from Maryland ARE NOT Southerners.
Have you read any other posts in this thread? What facts do you have to back up that people from MD aren't "southern"...

Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
To say that Maryland is Mid-Atlantic is to also say that Virginia is non-Southern and part of the Mid-Atlantic....
As usual your post lacks logic. Maryland and Virginia are two different states, and Virginia is only considered Mid-Atlantic in the DC Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Have you read any other posts in this thread? What facts do you have to back up that people from MD aren't "southern"...
The majority of the posts do not suggest Maryland is Southern, and why did we have to start up this thread again? Is 32 pages not enough? Can't we just leave it that Maryland has qualities from both sides. Maryland historically is a Southern state, but today most residents and organizations call it Mid-Atlantic or Northeastern.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:49 AM

919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
As usual your post lacks logic. Maryland and Virginia are two different states, and Virginia is only considered Mid-Atlantic in the DC Area.

The majority of the posts do not suggest Maryland is Southern, and why did we have to start up this thread again? Is 32 pages not enough? Can't we just leave it that Maryland has qualities from both sides. Maryland historically is a Southern state, but today most residents and organizations call it Mid-Atlantic or Northeastern.
I agree with what you said here, I just think its crappy after all that effort that people such as yourself went through that someone just comes on doesn't read any of the other posts and goes MD is definitely XXX...

I have learned alot about MD from this thread, and I'm happy it sparked intelligent discussion...

Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 AM

542 posts, read 1,332,287 times
Mid-Atlantic & Northeast are mutually exclusive terms. It's either one or the other -- can't be both. There was about one or two people in this entire discussion that adamantly declared Maryland as a Northeastern state. I don't see much that you could authentically call Northeast, but that's them. To say it has qualities from both sides, and then ultimately call it Northeastern at the end of the day doesn't make sense. It defeats the purpose of saying it's "both." To call it historically Southern, but modernly Northeastern doesn't make sense either. That would mean most of the country, or at least the urban areas are Northeastern. And I think that overall, Maryland has more practical commonalities with Virginia north of I-64 than some people would care to give credit for, rather than most of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania or New Jersey.

At the end of the day, I'd say Western Maryland is Appalachia, Baltimore/DC Metro is Mid-Atlantic("North" + South), and Southern Maryland & the Shore is Upper/Tidewater/Coastal South. Take it how you wanna.

Last edited by KeyserSoze; 09-30-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 AM

671 posts, read 1,884,353 times
you'd think a mod woulda locked this by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or