Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM

542 posts, read 1,497,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
You don't get what I'm saying. The Mid-Atlantic is a part of the Northeast. New England and the Mid-Atlantic make up the Northeast. Just as how the Deep South and Upper South make up the South. I agree that in the DC Area of MD, Mid-Atlantic usually means DC, MD, VA because the states are tied together economically in that region, but elsewhere it almost always includes DE and PA, and usually NJ, NY and WV, but not neccesarily Virginia, but it varies a lot.
I do get what you're saying. I just don't agree. Of all those states that comprise the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, Maryland clearly sticks out from the rest. Baltimore & DC share similarities, but are different. I wouldn't call Southern Maryland or the Shore Northeast or Mid-Atlantic when they remain largely Southern. New York, New Jersey & Pennsylvania shouldn't even be a question as to where they belong. As for the Mid-Atlantic definition, I'd rather rely on the one used in Maryland, rather than certain maps or certain other sources from elsewhere that insist all of Maryland is more in line with a region that includes New England & true, authentic Northeastern areas when that's simply not true, and I'll leave it at that.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,396,849 times
Its a damn shame that when I come to the Maryland thread the Main Topics are Trolls arguing against Maryland Being a Southern State, "What made you move from Maryland", "Why do people move to Maryland", PG County is the Most Dangerous County in the World, Montgomery County is decaying, Maryland Schools are Worst than Virginia Schools, and Maryland is too Expensive to live in.........

I check out other State threads and don't see as many Negative posts as I do on the Maryland thread. If you trolls Hate Maryland soo Damn much then whats the point of claiming to have moved out of Maryland then login to the Maryland thread posting Negative Remarks and using Scare Tactics(Trumped Up BS Crime Statistics and School Quality) to CON people from Relocating to Maryland.........

Maryland is one of the Greatest Southern State in the Nation and the True Maryland Members on here need to stand up and take pride(like the other Members in the other 49 state threads) by posting more Positive Topics that will show non-Marylanders how much of a Great State Maryland is........

These Negative Topics on the Maryland Thread needs to Ceese........

Last edited by $mk8795; 10-02-2009 at 01:50 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,992,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
../..and I think most would agree that Maryland has some of both cultures, but many residents and outside observers don't see MD and DE as an independent region (apart from the widely varying definition of Mid-Atlantic) so if somebody were to ask me North or South I would just tell them North/Mid-Atl. since that's more widely represented in the state.
I have to agree with this post by cpterp. Regardless of MD's history, I think we have to look @ what the state looks like now. Here's an interesting link from the 2000 Census:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2004pubs/c2kbr-35.pdf

Pg. 8 has some interesting info on US demographics. It color codes the entire US, by county, based on the single largest ethnic group represented. Most of MD is clearly very much like PA, OH, IN, MI, etc.

It's also interesting that the eastern shore is often mentioned as a stronghold of southern culture in MD. Again, looking at the map, it can be seen that the demographics change, as one moves from mainland MD onto the eastern shore. The eastern shore really looks more like the south than the rest of MD, from this "largest ethnic group" perspective.

Although this methodology isn't perfect, it does a lot to explain the differences in culture. Similar ethnicities yield similar religions and mannerisms, as well as similar peeps.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 AM

10,188 posts, read 15,884,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garine View Post
Looking for the attitude of people who live in the area. The Deep South has the contradictory reputation of southern hospitality and heavy Bible Belt Christianity mixed with intolerance and racism.

Where does Maryland fit in with those stereotypes?
First of all I find your post offensive. There is nothing wrong with being a Christian despite what Hollywood and the New York media want you to believe, and the South is not more racist. And I am a minority. I guess for illegal immigrants demanding that they be catered to and spoken to in their language or such perhaps they may think its "racist". Whites and blacks mix a lot better in the South than in the north, and Asian Americans are typically integrated well too as are legal Hispanics. Illegals are illegals.

The Eastern Shore feels more Southern, but not as southern as places I have experienced in Virginia and North Carolina. Not every restaurant has sweet tea like in Virginia and NC. Baltimore used to feel more southern but it is being less and less so as we are invaded by yuppies and Yankees and libearl elites from New York and New Jersey. MoCo feels like part of Long Island and New Jersey and nobody there is really a native.

The Eastern Shore is my favorite part of Maryland and moves at a slower pace which I prefer. I have had enough of the rushed lifestyle, cold attitudes, and lack of community feel in Montgomery County, not to mention the arrogance, pretentiousness, and elitism of the people there, especially those in Bethesda and Potomac, where many residents are originally from places like New York, New Jersey, and Long Island. Neighbors don't care to get to know each other, many people won't even hold open a door for you (even when your carrying grocery bags) and some will not even thank you for doing it for them. Driving is also very aggressive. This is why Montgomery County feels northern because these are typical Northeast/East Coast characteristics.

For the same reason that the hospitality, friendliness, small town charm of the Eastern Shore gives it a more Southern feel. And about racism, the Eastern Shore is a LOT more integrated than Baltimore, which is a very segregated city. Parts of Baltimore County do resemble the more "laid back" north of the Pennsylvania steel towns....the major industries around Sparrows Point and the rest of Southeast Baltimore County contribute to this feel.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:40 AM

10,188 posts, read 15,884,481 times
Our state song, Maryland My Maryland, was actually written to urge Marylanders to join the Confederacy during the war of northern aggression. The "despot" in the song refers to Lincoln, and one line still reads "spurn the northern scum" though I heard that recently some liberal elite Democrat (possibly originally from up north) wanted to change that line.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,717,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
First of all I find your post offensive. There is nothing wrong with being a Christian despite what Hollywood and the New York media want you to believe, and the South is not more racist. And I am a minority. I guess for illegal immigrants demanding that they be catered to and spoken to in their language or such perhaps they may think its "racist". Whites and blacks mix a lot better in the South than in the north, and Asian Americans are typically integrated well too as are legal Hispanics. Illegals are illegals.

The Eastern Shore feels more Southern, but not as southern as places I have experienced in Virginia and North Carolina. Not every restaurant has sweet tea like in Virginia and NC. Baltimore used to feel more southern but it is being less and less so as we are invaded by yuppies and Yankees and libearl elites from New York and New Jersey. MoCo feels like part of Long Island and New Jersey and nobody there is really a native.

The Eastern Shore is my favorite part of Maryland and moves at a slower pace which I prefer. I have had enough of the rushed lifestyle, cold attitudes, and lack of community feel in Montgomery County, not to mention the arrogance, pretentiousness, and elitism of the people there, especially those in Bethesda and Potomac, where many residents are originally from places like New York, New Jersey, and Long Island. Neighbors don't care to get to know each other, many people won't even hold open a door for you (even when your carrying grocery bags) and some will not even thank you for doing it for them. Driving is also very aggressive. This is why Montgomery County feels northern because these are typical Northeast/East Coast characteristics.

For the same reason that the hospitality, friendliness, small town charm of the Eastern Shore gives it a more Southern feel. And about racism, the Eastern Shore is a LOT more integrated than Baltimore, which is a very segregated city. Parts of Baltimore County do resemble the more "laid back" north of the Pennsylvania steel towns....the major industries around Sparrows Point and the rest of Southeast Baltimore County contribute to this feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Our state song, Maryland My Maryland, was actually written to urge Marylanders to join the Confederacy during the war of northern aggression. The "despot" in the song refers to Lincoln, and one line still reads "spurn the northern scum" though I heard that recently some liberal elite Democrat (possibly originally from up north) wanted to change that line.
It's interesting that you find his post offensive, since to me (a liberal from Montgomery County) it seems that yours is the offensive one, despite your partly accurate description of the state. Montgomery County does have a rushed lifestyle, cold resident attitudes, and a lack of community feel, but obviously not everywhere.Maybe it's a good thing the "arrogant, pretentious, and elitist" liberals drove you out, now MoCo residents don't have to put up with your sorry attitude. It never ceases to amaze me how right-wing extremist neocons get away with attacking anything liberal, urban, Democratic, or Northern with endless insults and slander. Yet, when a liberal/Democrat says hardly a single minimally negative phrase against anything rural, conservative, or Southern the right screams and hollers foul with braindead clowns like Limbaugh and O'Reilly to egg them on.

Oh yeah, the entire state song was to be replaced earlier this year, and more than likely willbe this coming session. I don't even know how that embarassing nonsense written by some Louisiana schoolteacher became our state song.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,396,849 times
Wow why is this topic still active.

It doesn't matter what anyone says, Maryland is below the Mason/Dixon line which makes it a Southern State.

Bumping this thread repeatily just to make a point of an opinion about Maryland not being a Southern State further proves that Maryland is a Southern State and people that don't want to accept it continue to make noise believing that they can CON mis-informed people into falling into false information of Maryland being non-southern.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,652,604 times
This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland