Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 02:39 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times

Advertisements

Smart Growth may be a good idea in places like Montgomery County but it is not a good fit for all regions of the state. Places like Allegany County have not shared in the growth (for better or worse) and prosperity that has spread through most of the state in last 60 years. Our community needs new housing, more retailers, and more employers even if they are in the areas of forestry and mineral extraction.

"Smart Growth" would slam the door on development in our county before it even had a chance to begin. Allegany County is 75% forest, the highest in the state. This is something we are proud of and appriciate, but there is room for growth and development so our children and grand children can make a living and stay in the area.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Whatever you say.

I strongly believe Smart Growth is a Joke for Suburban Maryland. What has become of Smart Growth; Deduction of Business Growth and Economic Wealth in Montgomery and PG County, Deduction of Middle and Upper Class Population. The End Results are more People and Businesses Choosing Virginia instead of Maryland because in reality Nothern Virginia(or any other Major Upscale US Metropolitan Regions) is not practicing this so-called Smart Growth aka Anti-Growth Scheme like the Special Interest So-Called Enviromental Groups and Lousy Politicians are trying to pull the wools overs the eyes of Maryland Voters and Taxpayers.
So you've decided to continue your anti-MoCo rant on this thread also huh? Economic wealth has not been reduced in either PG or Montgomery counties, but has increased. How do you even know "more people and businesses" are choosing VA over MD?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 AM

96 posts, read 119,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Huh???

Someone is going to have to explain that reference to me.

Aside from the fact that I am unfamiliar with 10oz bottles/cans of beer.....

What would make a 10oz Bud Light southern?
As I said those 3 counties Calvert,Charles and definetly St,Mary's consider themselves southren.As for St Mary's which we might descibe as the most ruel of them all ,is very proud of their southren history and part of that is the 10os can of beer which is also what they drink with their Crabs,they sell more 10oz Bud in "the county" then anywhere else in the country...to the point where AB was making it for only that county and the distributer Georgie Guy....and now even Coors makes a 10oz can of Coors light which is sold in the county.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantwon View Post
As I said those 3 counties Calvert,Charles and definetly St,Mary's consider themselves southren.As for St Mary's which we might descibe as the most ruel of them all ,is very proud of their southren history and part of that is the 10os can of beer which is also what they drink with their Crabs,they sell more 10oz Bud in "the county" then anywhere else in the country...to the point where AB was making it for only that county and the distributer Georgie Guy....and now even Coors makes a 10oz can of Coors light which is sold in the county.

Just a question. If 10oz cans of beer are localized to St. Mary's (and the rest of Southern MD), how does that make those counties Southern? To me is seems like a regional heritage thing, like blue crabs and Maryland.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Just a question. If 10oz cans of beer are localized to St. Mary's (and the rest of Southern MD), how does that make those counties Southern? To me is seems like a regional heritage thing, like blue crabs and Maryland.
Because the "southern" cultured people are the ones that are drinking them... It is like the "redneck" beer...

Its hard to explain man, I don't think you have spent enough time in the south county... I think a tour of some of the local bars might change your opinion...

Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 23,060 times
This thread reminds me of the tv show, Yes Dear! With Jimmy and the

family moving out west. And I thought to myself isn't Maryland the east

coast? Maybe they were from upstate Maryland, like upstate N.Y! With the

mullets and hunting. (lol)

Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 PM

372 posts, read 533,939 times
Overall, in one word--YEP.

Areas around the city (Balt/DC) can be somewhat cultural and intellectual, but overall, while it's not like the deep South, closed-minded attitudes prevail, and many would identify with being "Southern," particularly the more rural regions.

The dialect is more southern, as well, but frankly unique to the area. Not like anything I've heard elsewhere.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,382 times
I've lived in Maryland my whole life and have never felt "southern" or identified as southern. I grew up just a couple of miles from the DC line. Maybe if I had lived in a different region of the state, I might feel differently. I always felt I had no accent either. However, I went to work in NY for awhile and they thought I was from the deep south and I went to Dallas for awhile and they thought I was from New England. Go figure.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I've lived in Maryland my whole life and have never felt "southern" or identified as southern. I grew up just a couple of miles from the DC line. Maybe if I had lived in a different region of the state, I might feel differently. I always felt I had no accent either. However, I went to work in NY for awhile and they thought I was from the deep south and I went to Dallas for awhile and they thought I was from New England. Go figure.
consummate example of why we're in between.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times
I don't know. I see more "wiggers" (no offense intended) than rednecks in MD. See definition below.

Wigger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland