Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 05:54 PM

46 posts, read 118,668 times

Advertisements

I live in Annapolis and never felt a "southern feel." I was even taught in school that we live in the northeast.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andillus View Post
I live in Annapolis and never felt a "southern feel." I was even taught in school that we live in the northeast.
Annapolis does have a resemblance of Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA........

Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Where are you at in PG county that seems southern? Its got much more of an urban feel to it... In Calvert you can see old tobacco barns from the road and crops growing... In Calvert in St. Mary's there is just much more of a water oriented and live off the land mentality... Nothing about Riverdale, Bowie, Hyattsville, Palmer Park or Temple Hills screams south to me...
PG County is Equivalent to Decalb County(East of Atlanta), Georgia and Meckleburg County(Outside of Charlotte City Limits), NC........

Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
PG County is Equivalent to Decalb County(East of Atlanta), Georgia and Meckleburg County(Outside of Charlotte City Limits), NC........
That doesn't really represent the South in my opinion... But I guess everyone has their own opinion about what the "south" is... But PG is nothing like St. Mary's county which is the most "southern" county in my opinion...

Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,697 times
Quote:
Where are you at in PG county that seems southern? Its got much more of an urban feel to it... In Calvert you can see old tobacco barns from the road and crops growing... In Calvert in St. Mary's there is just much more of a water oriented and live off the land mentality... Nothing about Riverdale, Bowie, Hyattsville, Palmer Park or Temple Hills screams south to me...
I understand that it's urban. I understand that a lot of people from around the world live there. I understand that it's changed. But the geography, the look, especially within the Black community & rural areas -- it feels Southern to me. It feels similar to where I come from. I'm sure you can still find old tobacco barns and such there, because I've found historical plantations, even within the urban areas. I guess I just have a different perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andillus View Post
Simply put, whoever taught you that was wrong.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Annapolis does have a resemblance of Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA........
Uhh, no way...Charleston and Savannah (I've been to both) are nearly mirror images on each other, but Anappolis? I don't see that at all. To me, Annapolis reminds of New England more than any other town in the state. Politics, culture, history, size, population, and demographics are totally different from those two cities.

Quote:
That doesn't really represent the South in my opinion... But I guess everyone has their own opinion about what the "south" is... But PG is nothing like St. Mary's county which is the most "southern" county in my opinion...
I would say Dorchester, Somerset, and Wicomico are Maryland's "Southern" counties. Since, a lot of posters like to focus on history, St.Mary's has a very different history from most Southern counties, and was founded as a haven for Catholics (in fact the entire state was), and Catholicism is still the dominant religion there. There are also a number of traditional Mennonite and Amish communities in the county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I understand that it's urban. I understand that a lot of people from around the world live there. I understand that it's changed. But the geography, the look, especially within the Black community & rural areas -- it feels Southern to me. It feels similar to where I come from. I'm sure you can still find old tobacco barns and such there, because I've found historical plantations, even within the urban areas. I guess I just have a different perspective.

Simply put, whoever taught you that was wrong.
I lived in PG County for 11 years while growing up (in Mitchellville to be exact), and like another poster was taught that Maryland was part of the Northeast. Not specifically iirc but through Maryland's association with the Union in the Civil War. Almost no one in PG (or nearly all of Maryland for that matter) speaks with a Southern (or even rural) accent.

I've noticed that most posters who say that Maryland is Southern only give it's history as proof (specifically before 1860), but you guys have to remember this is now 2009. Unlike Virginia who joined the Confederacy, continues to produce large amounts of tobacco, and has many other ties to the South, Maryland compared to most Southern states is black compared to white. For instance even though I haven't seen and don't know of any tobacco barns or plantations in PG County, if the county does have them I don't see how that makes Maryland Southern now.

I think a fair compromise would be to say that Maryland is a Northeastern state with a Southern history.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
For what is worth the African-American dialect is a subgroup of the Southern dialect. So by defintion a majority of PG county residents do speak with a Southern dialect.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM

542 posts, read 1,498,697 times
I know this is already obvious cpterp, but there's no point in discussing this with you any further. You have the nerve to call me stubborn and persistent, yet despite evidence to the contrary, at the end of the day you only believe what you want to believe, and only provide evidence you can find that supports your own agenda. I never denied Maryland had some Northeastern characteristics, but to claim that the entire state as such is simply inaccurate. You deny the Southern quirks of Maryland, or downplay them as much as possible due to some outlandish prejudice you have, all so you could feel that you live in a Northeastern state when you really don't.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,757 times
I live in Howard county, Ellicott City to be exact. I feel like the area has alot of southern influences, that being said there are also alot of overcrowding and a hudge amount of people who have moved here in the last 5-6 years since howard county as become a dominant county for people working in dc/northern virginia to live and commute to. But in west friendship and areas such as elkridge, old EC, Clarksville there are farms and the people are generally very nice and country, my buddy has a farm in clarksville with 488 acres thats his family has owned for 6 generations but with the housing market that was, alot of the surrounding families sold there land and headed further south. overall marylanders are nice people, but as everyone has said the state is very diverse. I can walk down the street here with a suit made of money on and be ok but drive 10-15 min down the road in parts of baltimore county/city and its a whole different animal.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,399 times
The problem here is that we all seem to have a different definition of "southern"...

Some people consider it purely geographical, other people consider it a demographic (rednecks, good ol' boys, hillbillies, etc...), others refer to the way people make a living (farming, fishing, etc...) Nobody is really wrong and we can't just put some arbitrary label like "northern" or "southern" on MD...

My personal experience is that when I lived in Montgomery county we used to hang out at the movie theater or go to the mall... The attitudes of my friends and I is not what I would consider "southern" at all... The fake rich people and built up town centers didn't feel "southern" and the people trying to sell drugs to me on the corner didn't feel "southern"...

In Southern MD, fishing on the river while drinking a domestic beer just felt "southern" to me... Going to big BBQs where people sometimes killed the animal we were about to eat, just felt "southern" to me... Being at my friends parents house that lived on 15 acres hearing guns (hunting, not gangsta style like MO county) felt "southern" to me... Seeing jacked pickup trucks everywhere even feels "southern" to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland