U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:48 PM

49 posts, read 205,589 times

Advertisements

JcTown,

I am in a similiar situation. I live in NJ and haven't had any luch finding a job in MD also. But I do agree with everyone else and say you are crazy for wanting to do the commute. It is expensive alone when I travel via Amtrak from NJ to MD. If you don't mind me asking what is the reason you would want to move to MD and stay working in NY. Why not wait until you find employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM

273 posts, read 1,379,654 times
Someone works with me that commutes from Perryville, MD to DC daily - about 3 hours one way

Old 08-04-2009, 01:58 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,023,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
Someone works with me that commutes from Perryville, MD to DC daily - about 3 hours one way
My cousin once belonged to a carpool that traveled from Philadelphia to New Carrollton daily. He no longer is a member, but the carpool is still operating.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:11 PM

3,547 posts, read 7,784,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
My cousin once belonged to a carpool that traveled from Philadelphia to New Carrollton daily. He no longer is a member, but the carpool is still operating.
That's just nuts.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:32 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Trust me there are a lot of "nuts" commutes in this area. Numerous Pennsylvania and West Virginia residents regulary commute 2+ hours into DC everyday on I-270 and the MARC train. I've heard of a lady driving from SE Pennsylvania to the BWI Airport MARC station and taking the train into DC everyday. I've also heard many stories of people living in MD and commuting to New Jersey, and of someone commuting to Wilmington from MD, and VP Joe Biden did the DC-Wilmington, DE commute daily as well.

"Extreme commutes" are commonplace in this area, more so than any other area of the country perhaps, but I've never heard of a MD-NY commute. It's not really the length that's crazy in my mind, it's the insane cost.

So it comes as no surprise that Maryland drivers have the second longest mean travel time to work barely behind New York (31.1min, United States and States - R0801. Mean Travel Time to Work), and has the second highest percentage of workers who work outside of their county of residence (46.6%, United States and States - R0805. Percent of Workers Who Worked Outside County of Residence). The state also has the 5th highest percentage of public mass transit commuters (8.4% United States and States - R0804. Percent of Workers Who Traveled to Work by Public Transportation). So, the OP's question isn't really surprising at all. Pretty soon we'll be hearing about Maryland commuters to Boston and Chicago .

Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
Well, a local MARC train from Perryvile to DC takes about an hour and 40 minutes, and it probably wouldn't take that much longer driving, especially considering it takes me 3.5 hours to drive to NYC (not accounting for traffic).

Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 AM

52 posts, read 197,983 times
Why do the commute? Why not just rent another apartment in Annapolis, move all your stuff there, then spend your workdays in NY but your weekends in Maryland? I'm guessing the price of an extra monthly rent will be the same as the cost of taking the train everyday. If you're doing the extreme commute, you'll spend about 6-8 hours per day traveling. This means that by the time you get to Maryland on a workday, you'll be too exhausted to do anything anyways. Might as well just spend those nights on NY. Then every Friday night, start driving down to Maryland. Just pretend that you're in work travel... indefinitely.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Trust me there are a lot of "nuts" commutes in this area. Numerous Pennsylvania and West Virginia residents regulary commute 2+ hours into DC everyday on I-270 and the MARC train. I've heard of a lady driving from SE Pennsylvania to the BWI Airport MARC station and taking the train into DC everyday. I've also heard many stories of people living in MD and commuting to New Jersey, and of someone commuting to Wilmington from MD, and VP Joe Biden did the DC-Wilmington, DE commute daily as well.

"Extreme commutes" are commonplace in this area, more so than any other area of the country perhaps, but I've never heard of a MD-NY commute. It's not really the length that's crazy in my mind, it's the insane cost.

So it comes as no surprise that Maryland drivers have the second longest mean travel time to work barely behind New York (31.1min, United States and States - R0801. Mean Travel Time to Work), and has the second highest percentage of workers who work outside of their county of residence (46.6%, United States and States - R0805. Percent of Workers Who Worked Outside County of Residence). The state also has the 5th highest percentage of public mass transit commuters (8.4% United States and States - R0804. Percent of Workers Who Traveled to Work by Public Transportation). So, the OP's question isn't really surprising at all. Pretty soon we'll be hearing about Maryland commuters to Boston and Chicago .
As crazy as it is to travel in from WV or SE PA to DC (about 2 hrs each way), travelling to NYC and back every day is a whole new level of crazy. Rural Maryland doesn't have a monopoly on affordable housing, you know. Surely there is a community closer to NY that offers that.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM

13,773 posts, read 21,023,348 times
'I see lots of people get off the Red line at Union Station everyday, during afternoon rush hour, on their way to NYC.

It's probably best by plane, but some say it takes as much time as the train.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
'I see lots of people get off the Red line at Union Station everyday, during afternoon rush hour, on their way to NYC.
I'd venture that many of those people aren't daily commuters, though. My law firm has an office in NY, and we have attorneys that travel frequently between the two offices, but it is typically for a day or two at a time, and then they go back to their "home" office. I find it very hard to believe that there are more than a handful of people commuting 7-8 hours every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland