U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,791 times

Advertisements

A bit late but I would do it in a heartbeat! I've spent 4 hours commuting back to Baltimore from Northern Virginia. And also a given two hour commute for Baltimore to DC. That's just a given. So I would definitely do 2 1/2 hours to commute to NY. I'm sure the pay alone would compensate for the inconvenience. Not to mention all the fabulousness in NY! I would do it but I might be insane like you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 05:41 PM

78 posts, read 288,850 times
Hi JTown. Try looking into Cecil County (just below the Delaware border. You can catch a train in Wilmington (about a 1/2 drive) and train into the City from there. I don't know about the fares or schedules. But this puts you into Maryland and cuts your transprotation time by about 25 - 30 minutes (versus living in Aberdeen)
If you do want to consider Aberdeen, it's a nice little area that will expand exponentially over the next year or two as BRAC relocates about 8000 familes to the area and they'l be working at Aberdoon Proving Ground.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 137,506 times
Thanks all for your inputs! Still working in the city with the goal of eventually relocating to Maryland.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:25 PM

307 posts, read 627,424 times
Why! on earth would you want to commute FROM Maryland to NYC? "Are you stupid or something?"

Old 09-17-2009, 07:36 PM

41 posts, read 162,168 times
I've liven in MD forever, and I very occasionally take the Amtrak to NYC when I go on vacation there, but I would hate to do it daily!! It's 3-4 hours on average, sometimes even more. And it's really not worth it. You could find a suburb in upstate NY that's just as nice as anything you could find in MD..

Old 09-18-2009, 01:16 PM

518 posts, read 1,325,269 times
I know that plenty of people that have similarly long commutes (abt 6 hrs daily) in LA/Southern California, but much of it is just being stuck in traffic.

There are quite a few people in So Cal that commute by plane (i.e. their own private plane).... If you have your own private jet, the MD to NY commute would make more sense. But you would then have to drive from the local airport and/or take the train in to NYC (via MetroNorth, NJtransit, or PATH).

Old 09-18-2009, 01:40 PM

553 posts, read 1,549,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
I know that plenty of people that have similarly long commutes (abt 6 hrs daily) in LA/Southern California, but much of it is just being stuck in traffic.

There are quite a few people in So Cal that commute by plane (i.e. their own private plane).... If you have your own private jet, the MD to NY commute would make more sense. But you would then have to drive from the local airport and/or take the train in to NYC (via MetroNorth, NJtransit, or PATH).
If you had your own private jet, you'd probably be able to take a helicopter into Manhattan.

There are several commercial helicopter taxis that pick up inside security at LaGuardia and JFK and take you to Wall St or midtown. I think they run about $100 each way?

Of course, if you had a private jet, why would you live in Maryland in the first place if you had to commute to NYC?

JMO, if the traffic conditions in Baltimore and DC worsen to the degree they are projected over the next decade, MD to NYC commute won't seem unreasonable, particularly if the proposed high speed train connecting NYC, Baltimore, and DC is built.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:45 PM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 722,703 times
At my current and last company we had many executives who did this but as others mentioned it was not a daily thing. They would work in NY or NJ for say Mon to Wed and in the DC area office or from home Thursday and Friday....or some other variation of that. My company has an office in NY/NJ and often you see people getting promotions that require them to spend more time in NY/NJ but they continue to live in the DC area and split the week between the two places. Some even work out deals in their employment agreement that the company will pay for some of the travel or hotel/corporate housing. I've gone to NJ recently to handle some business for my company and it was 2.5 hours each way on the Acela Express and I worked on my laptop and took conference calls all the way up and back. If I get a promotion that requires me to be there more I'd do it if I could split my week...and at that promoted salary which would be over $400k it wouldn't be a financial issue. My company also has corporate jets that accommodate the highest execs and any underlings they need to come along with them but I'm not in that club (yet :0).

Old 09-19-2009, 09:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Marylanders and New Yorkers are insane when it comes to commuting, we have the second longest average commute in the country (31.1 min), and not surprisingly New York has the longest one (31.5min).

This guy I worked with over the summer told me his mother is a high-level administrator at NYU and commutes there every week. She stays there during the week and comes home on the weekends. Also, this guy who works with my dad commutes to Hawaii (yeah, you read that right) for a day or two every single week! It's a fed job and he apparently doesn't mind, plus it's not like you're losing time since the flights are overnight.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:32 PM

20 posts, read 85,236 times
I consider myself the ultimate road trip traveler (at least enough to impress the creator of the The International House of ZZYZX interstate website). This includes a 31 & 34 hour round road trip commute from Birmingham, AL to San Francisco, CA in conjunction with a 14 hour plane ride to Melbourne, Australia.

While commuting options leaves the possibility of commuting between Maryland and NYC available, this daily commute makes absolutely no sense. If you're doing it for economical reasons, there's plenty of affordable housing for rent in Central/South Jersey, the Philly Suburbs, and New Castle County, DE. It doesn't matter that the Amtrak commute costs would be less than an apartment in NYC, as you are severally underestimating the value in time you give up on all the traveling. Not to mention that one significant delay could cause you to be very late and lose out on money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland