U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 889 times

Advertisements

So, I am offered my dream job in Annapolis area (it is the only place this job could take place) but my young child is in school in NYC, where I have lived the last 10 years, and where my partner and I have built a life. He could work in DC, but he is resistant, and it would take time for him to find something suitable--maybe a year.

So…commute from Annapolis to NYC once a week? Like Thurs night until Monday early morning? Is that insane? Or rather: I know it is insane, but is it possible for an extremely motivated person? Would it cost more than the puny salary this dream job pays (the benefits are not about money, but about life satisfaction, etc…)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 01:44 PM

51 posts, read 58,417 times
To OP - if you are seriously considering such a commute, you are absolutely insane.

If your post was merely to spur conversation, mission accomplished.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:49 PM

631 posts, read 1,160,359 times
I heard folks commuting from WV to DC and even Cumberland/Eastern Shore to DC.. But NYC.. that is just insane.. Youre better off living in Delaware and Commuting to NYC

Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,390,359 times
lepeltje. you might want to start your own thread about this to get more answers. Your question is buried in this thread, and it really is a different question.

once a week going back to NY, would basically be like living in Annap for the week for your job, and going home to NYC for weekends.

I SUPPOSE that's doable longterm -- but I still think eventually you'd tire of it. BUT IF you can do it gong into it with the right mindset......to see if it gives your parter time to get used to NOT having you during the week, and maybe coming around to moving to MD....and to find a job in the DC area....then you could do it for a BIT and see how it goes.

Do calculate what living in Annap for five days and commuting home to NYC would cost you?

Life-wisw -- the PLUS could be -- IF heaven forbid your job here doesn't work out or ISN'T what you thought, at least you haven't moved here. Maybe you could try it and see how long you can do it. You may find that your days off, aren't restful because they're travel days. You'll get home to NYC and things you'll need to tend to there. Then you'll need to hit the road to come back to Annap. IF, IF you're partner can handle ALL the home and child care -- so that when you get home it's ALL pleasure and rest, that would help.

My BIL worked at Fort Lee VA, had and apt there and drove home to Fayetteville, NC on weekends for more than two years. He retired because he was tired of the drive every.single, week up and back.....189 miles ONE WAY -- 2 hours 47 minutes.

Annap to NYC is a little bit longer 214 miles -- drive time 3 hours 27 minutes.
Personally, yes I do think that's insane even once a week. But I also have a VERY LOW tolerance for inconvenience.

(Due to a death in the family, I've been driving home from near Annap to Philly every OTHER week for my days off. And I just am not tending to MY life in MD because I'm going to the family home to Philly so often. Actually, sometimes I go TWO weeks in a row then skip a week, then go the next week. )

Old 01-13-2015, 04:32 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,120,933 times
Quote:
I heard folks commuting from WV to DC and even Cumberland/Eastern Shore to DC.. But NYC.. that is just insane.. Youre better off living in Delaware and Commuting to NYC
Please don't tell me that people actually drive from Cumberland all the way to Montgomery Co./DC area. That is just awful. The drive from Cumberland to Hagerstown is quite a hike in of itself. Even for the most insane commutes, 80 miles should be the absolute max, and that is assuming it is all interstate driving.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:41 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,023,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
My cousin commuted from Philly to DC for 1 year. He was part of a car pool and got tired of the commute; so he got a better job in Philly, his home town. But he said there were several car pools that would travel daily between Philly and DC.

Last edited by NJ2MDdude; 01-14-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland