Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 06:41 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,546,688 times

Advertisements

When I saw the headline I thought it was a joke..... Not so.
Six state legislators from the three western counties have written to the WV legislature asking what do we do next?
Seems like a publicity stunt.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-west-virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 07:27 PM

6,924 posts, read 11,181,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
When I saw the headline I thought it was a joke..... Not so.
Six state legislators from the three western counties have written to the WV legislature asking what do we do next?
Seems like a publicity stunt.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-west-virginia
It is. Counties are not sovereign, they exist at the whim of the state, just lines on a map to determine which court house you go to, where you mail your property tax check, etc.

At least one of those delegates is running for District 1 Senator. No better PR than to campaign as the guy who hates downstate Maryland the most.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:51 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...west-virginia/

Del. Buckel admits it is little more than a publicity stunt in this article. I don't think he is going to run for the vacant Senate seat, but Del. McKay most certainly is. I have already received a mailer from a primary opponent and sitting County Commissioner. Yes, I received a mailer in 2021 from a 2022 primary. I guess he is starting early!

Old 10-21-2021, 08:11 PM

44,987 posts, read 59,968,393 times
At least these guys are from out there unlike the last guy who wanted to do this a few years ago. Wasn't he from Howard or Baltimore? Maybe Carroll.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:16 PM

3,641 posts, read 2,476,807 times
West Virginia was formed from breakaway counties from Virginia.. why not welcome breakaway Maryland counties (?) I understand there are legalities that would need to be addressed, but if there's a political will, there could be a way.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
West Virginia was formed from breakaway counties from Virginia.. why not welcome breakaway Maryland counties (?) I understand there are legalities that would need to be addressed, but if there's a political will, there could be a way.
Maryland, really no state, is going to give its sovereign territory away to another state. It would mean less fedbucks, possibly less congressional representation, and likely a rush of other rural regions that will expect the same treatment.

We have mineral resources out here as well. As much as the state pretends not to care, the coal, shale gas, and forest land are worth a mint. Even if the state doesn't wish to develop these resources now, they still understand their value as assets to be managed.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:39 PM

44,987 posts, read 59,968,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Maryland, really no state, is going to give its sovereign territory away to another state. It would mean less fedbucks, possibly less congressional representation, and likely a rush of other rural regions that will expect the same treatment.

We have mineral resources out here as well. As much as the state pretends not to care, the coal, shale gas, and forest land are worth a mint. Even if the state doesn't wish to develop these resources now, they still understand their value as assets to be managed.
Ya know, cutting you guys loose would be one way to gerrymander Harris out.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ya know, cutting you guys loose would be one way to gerrymander Harris out.
Hmmm.......but would the added 250k or so new residents to WV get them their lost House Seat and electoral college vote back?

I want to say that guy was from Carroll County. Yes, he is.

https://wtop.com/news/2013/10/wester...ies-to-secede/

Frederick County turning light blue has wrecked this fantasy, but really I had no desire to secede into a state dominated by Carroll and Frederick Counties either. It may be an improvement over Montgomery and PG calling the shots, but the true Western Maryland would still have been the ignored stepchild in that arrangement. We aren't really like them either.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:11 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,657,178 times
Ha. I was coming here to make a thread about how much I enjoyed spending last weekend in Cumberland, but apparently the feeling wasn't mutual!

Old 10-21-2021, 11:18 PM

16,354 posts, read 10,363,550 times
Maybe they'd be willing to trade Berkeley and Jefferson counties, which to me always feel like the least West Virginian of any counties in that state, in exchange for Garrett and Allegany counties. (Not that I, personally, want to lose Garrett and Allegany; but I can understand why they'd want to secede.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland