U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:44 AM

11 posts, read 56,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Ringneck Snake

Not poisonous or dangerous, as far as I know.
You are right it is a cross between a Nothern Ringneck snake and a Southern Ringneck snake . I moved the Fort Washington a few months ago and the property is 2 acres and has a small pond in the back yard, I assume they get water from there.

I recently found a few baby ones (I think I killed its momma, lol). I'm a city boy and all but I dont mind these snakes, they cant bite and they only grow up to be 12 inches max.

What Snake is (was) this?-snake2.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 56,997 times
Yes I do, I have a pond in my backyard, and found a few baby ones after it rained last week. Looks like they were feasting on earth worms.

What Snake is (was) this?-snake.jpg

Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 AM

903 posts, read 3,364,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Towson University and the MD DNR disagree with you: Eastern ringneck snake
Maryland's Wildlife Species - All About Snakes in Maryland - Natural Heritage Program - Wildlife and Heritage Service (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/snakeinfo.asp - broken link)
I've never seen this snake in MD, only in the midwest or New England.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 PM

19 posts, read 58,229 times
I nearly fainted by your pictures! We're looking into moving to Fort Washington...it never crossed my mind that the nice wooded areas and large properties would also mean SNAKES! eek! You're brave..I would have been in the house as soon as I say it's head pop up...(Yes, the Lawnmower would still be running)

Old 10-10-2009, 08:08 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,500,277 times
I used to catch snakes when I was a kid, around 7-8 yrs old. I think people would be amazed @ the variety of snakes we have in this area, although I'll bet there are less around nowadays, with the pace of development we've seen over the years.

df80umes - I wouldn't be too worried about the snakes. I must've been bitten a hundred times as a child and there were no ill effects [at least as far as I can tell!]. I never once encountered a poisonous snake, just garter snakes, ringnecks, racers, rat snakes, etc.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 AM

10,538 posts, read 10,628,847 times
As a native Prince Georgian and worked for the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission for over 30 years throughout all of Prince George's County, only once did I ever come across a poisonous snake and it was a copperhead and that was at the old Prince George's Country Club in Kentland, out near the pond on the golf course, needless to say I killed it, it was about 5 foot long, we found out later it was known as the Northern copperhead, one of the other men that I worked with lived in a farmhouse in Croom and killed a southern copperhead on his front porch, now I believed that the only poisonous snake that are in Prince George's County is the copperhead, I don't think there are any other poisonous snakes in Prince George's County. I have come across garter snakes, the little green grass snakes, rat snakes, blue racers, King snakes also known as a black snake, hog nose snake, water moccasin and I believe they're nonpoisonous and do an excellent job of keeping the rodent population under control, if you have a black snake around your house, you won't have any mice or rodents around and you also won't have any other snakes around.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:02 AM

1,389 posts, read 5,876,886 times
I live in Upper Marlboro and this summer I wanted to do gardening in my backyard. Well my husband found 2 snakes in the backyard the day I bought my veggie to plant and my mind was changed for me. I threw away all the veggies to plant. I am scared of snakes. I also have frogs in my flower bed in my front yard. I hate frogs. I no longer go in my back yard.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 10,626 times
looks like a prairie ring neck snake to me i use to own one as a pet non-venomous

Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 9,928 times
Its a ringneck. It eats insects.
Kingsnakes are NOT know as black snakes.
The are NO water moccasians in Maryland.
There is a lot of garbage being written about snakes here.
No wonder so many get killed because so many people have no idea what they are saying let alone are capable of making a correct identification of a snake.
I mean reaally how many of you even could identify a hatchliing racer or black rat snake. Here is a hint, they look nothing like the adult phase.
Ringnecks are harmless and beautiful snakes but are preay for many larger snakes. Racers, eastern milks and eastern kings.
Good luck and try to get the facts straight by doing the research before perprtuating false information about snakes.
I have a State of MD permit to capture, collect and breed snakes. Argue if you want but at least have an arguement about a fact and not some hysteria snake realated fears.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 AM

274 posts, read 587,712 times
@ lscalder: It's called nature. Look it up and embrace it. Threw away veggie plants? Unheard of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland