U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 AM

30 posts, read 134,380 times

Advertisements

The more I look into moving to Ocean City, the more I'm thinking we will be much happier as a family in either the Berlin or Ocean Pines areas. I'm more drawn to the Ocean Pines because the houses I'm seeing available for rent are affordable and surrounded by beautiful trees. We would start with renting before we commit to the area and buy a house.

Now my questions: Are the locals accepting of newcomers? It seems like so many towns in MD are not accepting which is a little discouraging.

Is this the same school district as Ocean City? What about your normal every-day shopping? I noticed the closest Target is over a half hour away. What about other stores such as Old Navy, Toys R Us, and your average stores like that?

How about jobs? My husband is an IT Server Administrator who currently commutes an hour to work each way, so he would be willing to continue the hour commute down in Maryland as well. I'm hearing there are not a lot of jobs in Salisbury, but are there any other towns with jobs within the hour radius around Ocean Pines?

Last question, if you have lived or currently live in Ocean Pines or Berlin, how do you like it?

Last edited by myjanuarygirl; 08-04-2009 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 AM

4,182 posts, read 9,771,417 times
I've lived in MD all of my life. I spend alot of time in the Ocean City/Assateague area. Matter of fact, heading back down there in a few hours. One of the things I love most about the Eastern Shore is the limited growth. Unfortunately, the job situation has always been tough there.

I like Ocean Pines/Berlin, but prefer Ocean Pines. I don't hear of many jobs in either area. The people on the Eastern Shore seem to have a love/hate relationship with outsiders (includes people from Western shore). Love their money, but complain incessantly about the traffic, etc. Which isn't to say that I blame them. I haven't found the area particularly welcoming of newcomers. Not necessarily rude, but many of the families have lived their for generations and the communities are pretty tight knit. At least, that's been my experience.

I have family that lives in St Michael's and Easton--they are all retired. That is as far east as they were willing to live b/c they don't like to drive very far for shopping and still wanted fairly easy access to Annapolis.

If I were to move to the area, I would go for Kent County.

ProgressiveFarmer.com: Best Places: Kent County, Maryland

Old 08-04-2009, 04:50 PM

54 posts, read 168,114 times
Hello

I used to work in Berlin and my friends live in Ocean Pines. While I liked Ocean Pines early on, it seems to be a little too crowded there now. At least for my taste. The homeowners association can be a real Pain in the *** when it comes to things like planting a tree or shrub on your property, changes you do to the outside of the house and even have gone so far as to tell my friend he had to remove his boat from his property because it wasnt registered yet (He had been doing repairs to it, it was not able to go into the water yet, so why register?!). I would steer clear of Ocean Pines if it was me. Also there can be a lot of traffic on Racetrack Rd in the tourist season.

Your best bet is Berlin or West Ocean City (which is over the bridges) or even places like Showell.
The schools in the area are all really decent.

Salisbury is about 30 min from Berlin/OP. Not too bad of a commute because there is very little traffic headed up that way.

Not a lot of work to be had though. My husband has been working in NJ the past few months and coming home on weekends due to the lack of work here. Like the other poster mentioned... not a lot of growth here - which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

I moved down here about 8-9 yrs ago. It took awhile to finally feel as if I "fit in" but once you slow down and enjoy life you seem to fit in better. Dont be in a rush because no one else is. LOL

The major stores are in Salisbury. Target, Toys R Us, Old Navy, Kohls, etc. We only just got the Target, Old Navy and Kohls a few years ago. We recently got a Macy's at the Salisbury mall too. Which, by my NJ standards, the mall is very very small. :P

Not many big businesses down here though. Your husband might be able to get a job with Verizon in Salisbury? Thats one of the larger companies that has an office here.

For my normal every day shopping, I go to the Super Wal Mart in Salisbury. The prices of food are cheaper than what you will pay at the Food Lion or Giant. There are several grocery stores in and around OP and Berlin though... so if you need anything quick its there. Also a mini mall of sorts opened outside of the OP gate last year I think it was and there is a grocery store, bank, restuarant, Dunkin Donuts, Subway in there too. But seriously, if you want to stay away from the tourist stuff, dont go to OP. Lovely but still smack dab in the middle of tourist-ville.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:31 AM

168 posts, read 616,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers333 View Post

Not a lot of work to be had though. My husband has been working in NJ the past few months and coming home on weekends due to the lack of work here. Like the other poster mentioned... not a lot of growth here - which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

I moved down here about 8-9 yrs ago. It took awhile to finally feel as if I "fit in" but once you slow down and enjoy life you seem to fit in better. Dont be in a rush because no one else is. LOL

Not many big businesses down here though. Your husband might be able to get a job with Verizon in Salisbury? Thats one of the larger companies that has an office here.
All very true of the area. Although the slow-minded way is infuriating at times. There isnt a time limit on anything here and for some(me) who like structure and delivering on your word you will constantly be frustrated. I work in Salisbury and the overall attitude of most is "whats in it for me"? Most of my coworkers are more interested in talking to their friends and their own personal agenda more than they are in doing a good job.

I've been here for 5 yrs and I dont "fit in" here. My wife was raised here and after living in another city and seeing other "ways of life" she has realized how backwards the area is in general. The OP/OC and Berlin areas are probably the best areas for "come heres"(local word for those not born/raised here).

The job search here is futile. I know of a few college grads from SU in Salisbury that havent been able to find work in their field for nearly 2 yrs. Most local employers are low paying and have an arrogant attitude about themselves knowing that their isnt alot of other means of income in the area. My employer(large auto dealer in Salisbury) recently cut our pay and then went out and spent thousands on duplicate equipment that wasn't needed. The morale here is low imho(at least in Salisbury it is) and I dont recommend the area to anyone who isnt looking for a slow, possibly poor, uneventful life. If you are a sportsman or love the beach then its for you. But for some, even those positives dont outweigh the negatives. Search this site for more info, there are alot of others that feel this way.

The employment is substandard and for some commuting up and down the east coast for life sustaining income becomes more stressful than living in a real city and finding a good job locally. I've known lots of local residents that commute to Bmore/philly for employment. 2-3 hour commutes for a job and spending your entire life in your car isnt a very "slow and relaxed" life.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 AM

53 posts, read 159,052 times
Yep what they said...I am originally from College Park MD and dreamed about living at the Beach. I moved to Ocean Pines in 94 .....It was fun for a few years, then all of the other factors set in (as mentioned from the other members).

We (wife and I ) are fortunate to have stable careers ....not much here as in means of careers or advancement.

We are definetly relocating ( South Florida here I come!!) within next few years to ensure that our soon to be teenagers have all the options we did growing up in a thriving area....

I would say however that Ocean Pines is a great place to raise a family all the way through Middle School. All the schools in Northern Worcester County are very good. Although lately Stephen Decatur High has dropped in its rating. Still a good school from what I hear...there a re mixed reviews but I grew up in P.G. County so I don't give any credit to it being a bad school.... OC elementary services West O.C. which is an excelent school than Showell Elementary for the Pines..also excellent school..for now the Intermediate, Middle and H.S. are all the same for both areas.
Check out great schools .net and you can view the ratings by your own criteria.

After that you have to start thinking about what your childrens future will be like.

I have countless friends that are in there 30's that have grown up here and describe it as a "dead end town." Most of them have left the area and moved elsewhere or just " hang out at the Beach." I guess if thats what you want to do thats a good thing...

And I hope you like Pennsylvania.......becuase this is an extension of it....not that thats a bad thing....

Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM

501 posts, read 1,017,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palms View Post

And I hope you like Pennsylvania.......becuase this is an extension of it....not that thats a bad thing....
LOL Worcester County is NOT an extension of Pennsylvania whatsoever. I also hope people realize this thread is two years old and the OP has probably already decided where to live...

Old 03-26-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
LOL Worcester County is NOT an extension of Pennsylvania whatsoever. I also hope people realize this thread is two years old and the OP has probably already decided where to live...

Seriously it is.....are you a Pittsburg Steelers fan or Philadelphia Eagles fan.....LOL !? And I realize how old the post is...... and now its updated and current and nothing has changed here..other than more Pennsyltuckians....

Last edited by palms; 03-26-2011 at 06:13 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Seriously it is.....are you a Pittsburg Steelers fan or Philadelphia Eagles fan.....LOL !? And I realize how old the post is...... and now its updated and current and nothing has changed here..other than more Pennsyltuckians....
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about but it is absolutely false to say the Eastern Shore is an extension of PA- if anything, it is an extension of Tidewater Virginia.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about but it is absolutely false to say the Eastern Shore is an extension of PA- if anything, it is an extension of Tidewater Virginia.

yes..I would agree with them majority of Worcester being exactly like that..but in the Pines I am surronded ...not that its a bad thing, they are all good people ..just different and terrible drivers!! LOL

Old 03-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
yes..I would agree with them majority of Worcester being exactly like that..but in the Pines I am surronded ...not that its a bad thing, they are all good people ..just different and terrible drivers!! LOL
Oh, okay! I understand now- you are right! There are plenty of PA retirees in Ocean Pines! "You're surrounded" - sounds like a zombie apocalypse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland