U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM

46 posts, read 151,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
They have higher speed limits in Detroit.

Outside of the city yes, close in, most freeways are marked as 55 or 60, but people still go 75. Chicago can get like that too, when traffic is moving, I've been going 65 in bumper to bumper.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:37 PM

903 posts, read 3,347,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgoblue View Post
Outside of the city yes, close in, most freeways are marked as 55 or 60, but people still go 75. Chicago can get like that too, when traffic is moving, I've been going 65 in bumper to bumper.
Speed limit in MD is 65.

People still go 75 MPH...on 95, 495, 70, and 270. No difference.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:37 PM

205 posts, read 754,563 times
Yeah, driving in MD sucks. I don't mind the speed at all. I just do what everyone else is doing. If that means going 85 mph on I695, I70, I95, or I295 then that's what I'm going to do. I tend to always find a clearing and then adjust my speed so I stay put. The big problem is the people who don't signal, cut others off, drive slow in the left lane(s), zip across multiple lanes to hit an exit, or wait until the very end of a ramp to merge. I absolutely despise where I70 E and I695 meet since so many people run up the right lane instead of waiting in line, then cut off someone who has been waiting forever right where the I695 N ramp breaks off...then fails to alternate right of way like the signs indicate. Since I drive an SUV, I tend to notice Prius drivers like to go extra slow in front of me, which is really irritating especially in the left lane. I've also seen drivers just stop right in the middle of the highway, open their doors, and walk around all while being totally oblivious to the other cars zipping by.

Speaking of I70, what is wrong with people going I70 W right before they get to 29? People cannot seem to stay in their lanes! It's just a gentle left curve! I can't even remember all the times I've had someone on either side of me leave their lane for who knows what reason. When watching traffic reports it seems like people constantly crash there too.

What MD needs is a mandatory signaling law and a "left lane is for passing" law like PA has. I never had a problem on the Harrisburg Beltway. People there actually can drive if it's cloudy, drizzling, or snowing. Around Baltimore and DC if there's even so much of a hint of rain the I695 west side becomes a parking lot and the same goes for I495. People just can't drive, period, around Baltimore and DC. The local governments should really invest in serious mass transit like elevated magnetic trains...not this light rail crap.

I need a helicopter for getting to work!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,356,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
MD drivers are great. We have what I like to say organized chaos. I think really driving in Northern VA is worse. I've got to hurry up and get my Starbucks coffee and these idiots jump into my lane with not turn signal and just driving slow in the fast lane. So upsetting.

But I like driving in Maryland, where else can you feel like a nascar driver and everyone with Maryland Tags is on one accord with this notion.
EXACTLY! Even in MD, 9 out of 10 drivers that drive 55mph in the far left seem to have VA tags. The West VA. and Penn. drivers seem to keep up that (not surprising since they have 1-2 hours commutes each way). Driving around the Beltway between Betheda and College Park is especially "fun."

A little trivia: For those who don't know why that portion of the Beltway is like an Indy Car circuit it's because the original alignment runs parallel to a winding stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Speed limit in MD is 65.

People still go 75 MPH...on 95, 495, 70, and 270. No difference.
The speed limits on I-495 and I-270 are 55mph. Apparently that's the federally required limit in very densely populated areas with frequent exits. I-70 and I-95 have 65mph in many places though.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 PM

512 posts, read 1,469,499 times
Wow I didn't know that. See you never stop learning.

A little trivia: For those who don't know why that portion of the Beltway is like an Indy Car circuit it's because the original alignment runs parallel to a winding stream.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 PM

102 posts, read 279,515 times
Quote:
But I like driving in Maryland, where else can you feel like a nascar driver and everyone with Maryland Tags is on one accord with this notion.
100% correct. I don't enjoy feeling like a Nascar driver. On my way to work this morning, I saw a motorcyclist driving at at least 95 mph. On my way home, I saw some cool acrobatic battle performed by an SUV driver and a trucker.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 PM

102 posts, read 279,515 times
Quote:
I need a helicopter for getting to work!
Amen, brother! That's what big corporations should offer to their employees. No commuting stress = more productivity.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 AM

512 posts, read 1,469,499 times
LOL... that was funny. You must not be from Maryland. I think this is nascar mentality is passed down from generation to generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Kim View Post
100% correct. I don't enjoy feeling like a Nascar driver. On my way to work this morning, I saw a motorcyclist driving at at least 95 mph. On my way home, I saw some cool acrobatic battle performed by an SUV driver and a trucker.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:39 AM

20,399 posts, read 18,418,726 times
I was almost in Maryland( southern Pa) yesterday when a big black SUV passed 3 cars on a double lane and almost hit an oncoming pickup truck. I was just checking the rear view when I saw him doing it and knew if I didn't suddenly slow down he'd get stuck. Luckily the oncoming truck saw the fool and also slowed down and the SUV got past me. The SUV driver was from Florida, of course. The funny part was, he got stuck in traffic and couldn't pass anybody else so he never got farther than in front of me.
Then coming back I had a dump truck riding my tail after we got stuck behind an amish buggy. I was doing the speed limit and then some to get some distance from him, doing 50 in a 45 where trucks were supposed to go 25 due to the winding downhill road. Nope, he stayed on my back bumper the whole time.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 AM

13,670 posts, read 20,873,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgoblue View Post
Outside of the city yes, close in, most freeways are marked as 55 or 60, but people still go 75.
Portions of 696 are posted 70 mph, same with several other freeways that are not that far from the city. The 70 mph limit in Mich. is much closer to the city than 65 is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland