U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 6,869 times

Advertisements

WOW, I was thinking of visiting the State of Maryland but after reading all about the crazy drivers you have I changed my mind.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 AM

919 posts, read 2,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalee01 View Post
WOW, I was thinking of visiting the State of Maryland but after reading all about the crazy drivers you have I changed my mind.
Most things in this thread have been grossly exaggerated... I cannot wait to drive in MD again to get away from all of the terrible drivers here in FL...

Old 08-13-2009, 06:38 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Most things in this thread have been grossly exaggerated... I cannot wait to drive in MD again to get away from all of the terrible drivers here in FL...
Florida does have some pretty aggresive drivers. I was driving from Jacksonville to Orlando sometime last year, and these group of guys driving 3 or 4 Dodge Vipers came up behind me at over 100mph. I was in the left lane and before I could put on my indicator to go over one of them was about to rear end me. When I did put my indicator on to change lanes as was in the process of changing, the guy decided he couldn't wait and overtook me on the right. I had to swerve to avoid hitting him. You couldn't imagine how pleased (and very surprised) I was to see a unmarked cop in a Charger apporoching us from behind. Of course he turned his sirens on and got two of the cars (the others had long gone).

Old 08-13-2009, 08:56 PM

42 posts, read 138,974 times
I was glad to be driving back in Maryland last summer. They may drive fast and switch lanes often but generally follow the rules of the road on a much greater scale than I've seen elsewhere. The drivers here in AZ are the rudest and most dangerous I've seen anywhere in the entire country.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:45 AM

35,165 posts, read 45,014,622 times
My biggest complaints, after the increasing volume of traffic, is the lack of turn signals especially on four lane roads, and the need for some folks behind you to speed up and pass you after you signal your intention to change lanes to pass someone yourself. I also drive a lot in PA and can always tell when I get to MD on I-70 below Breezewood because that's when the tailgating on an open road begins. I can guarantee that if you have two MD drivers alone on a road the one in back will be tailgating.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM

298 posts, read 917,585 times
North Beach Person, I find that when I merge onto a highway and use my directional to let people know that I will be going in the driving lane, the person behind me who has also just entered the highway will TRY to blow by me but I will continue to merge since I am ahead of him and have used my directional. One person made a point to tailgate me after that and then passed me to be able to get in front of me and slam on their brakes. But really, who is in the wrong? If there is someone ahead of me in the same situation I always let them in ahead of me as it is basic common courtesy.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 AM

130 posts, read 331,672 times
In case anyone thinks this is unique to MD/VA/DC....or even that it's appreciably worse here, read Highway enforcement - what would you change? - The Boston Globe

Especially entertaining/enlightening are the readers' comments.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:04 PM

41 posts, read 162,168 times
I've lived in Maryland for all my life (which so far is 17 years) and I can confirm that yes, Maryland drivers are INSANE! People change lanes without looking all the time, especially on the highway. When someone decides he's gonna merge, he's gonna merge, whether there's a car in his way or not. I'm mostly talking about Anne Arundel county, as I don't have too much experience driving in the other counties.

The only state I've driven in where I encountered worse drivers is Florida. Of course these are just my experiences, and I don't mean to bash people from Florida or Maryland...

Old 08-15-2009, 09:17 PM

56 posts, read 141,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murland View Post
I've lived in Maryland for all my life (which so far is 17 years) and I can confirm that yes, Maryland drivers are INSANE! People change lanes without looking all the time, especially on the highway. When someone decides he's gonna merge, he's gonna merge, whether there's a car in his way or not. I'm mostly talking about Anne Arundel county, as I don't have too much experience driving in the other counties.

The only state I've driven in where I encountered worse drivers is Florida. Of course these are just my experiences, and I don't mean to bash people from Florida or Maryland...
RT50 is a logistical nightmare with Bay Bridge and Severn River Bridge traffic. I remember working at Lexus of Annapolis right off of Bay Dale Drive and watching the Bay Bridge traffic stack up on fridays in the summer (keep in mind this place is about 5 miles away from the bridge).

However, MD drivers understand each other. Drivers from out-of-state will think we are all competing in NASCAR or something, but to us it seems like just another ride. The up side is that you can hammer down and get to work, I have made trips that mapquest says will take an hour in 35 minutes. When I go somewhere out-of-state I find myself breathing deeply, smoking a lot of cigarettes, and screaming at slow drivers because I am so used to doing 15+ over the limit. I would personally love to see what would happen if a group of drivers from Los Angeles came out here and rode up I97 and I695, people always told me they drive fast out there but somehow I think even the LA drivers would be in the right lane getting tailgated by one of the local Jeff Gordons in a pickup truck!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,370,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo_Guy View Post
However, MD drivers understand each other. Drivers from out-of-state will think we are all competing in NASCAR or something, but to us it seems like just another ride. The up side is that you can hammer down and get to work, I have made trips that mapquest says will take an hour in 35 minutes. When I go somewhere out-of-state I find myself breathing deeply, smoking a lot of cigarettes, and screaming at slow drivers because I am so used to doing 15+ over the limit.
Perfectly said! My thoughts exactly.

IMHO the "worst" drivers reside in these states: NY (the city), NJ, FL, MD, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland